"BIONICLE Canon Contest #2: Meet the Maker" Kaihanga Nui

I applaud you for making a forging hammer (as it should be), instead of an oversized weapon!

1 Like

This one is… a lot to take in. My eyes kind of hurt. I’m sure it would look better in sand green, but not enough to get my vote. As others have said, ornate =/= part spam.

3 Likes

I mean, since it is just a forging hammer it should be about this size in my opinion.

And as a note to future repliers, please stop saying “part-spam”, I put a lot of effort into making this in the past five days and I don’t like people saying it looks like I just made a junk monster of a MOC, it seems very rude and I ask you please to at least use a different, more kindly gesture than the equivalent of “your MOC looks like a piece of trash to me”.

1 Like

Agreed. Lets all have fun with this contest! Everyone’s MOC’s got something cool goin’ for it!

-Solaris Magnus

2 Likes

Well I doubt people are going to read the whole thread before commenting, but I’ll try to explain what I mean by ‘partspam’.

With most constraction sets, there are one or two textures across the build. The Toa Mata had the prominent gears and piston elements, the Nuva had their smooth armor. The Piraka had spiky bits and the Barraki tended to have smooth, alien armor. This MOC mixes and matches disparate textures from several lines - CCBS shells, more detailed CCBS pieces, Inika armor, spiky blade pieces, and specific plant-themed armor pieces, as well as tubes and pistons. All of them all over the MOC without enough of any particular one to unify the build. It looks as if you were using any and every piece you had in his colors, no matter what line it came from or how it meshes with other parts of him, in order to have the amount of bulk you wanted at his height requirement.

To an extent this isn’t your fault, the height requirement is a part of the challenge, as is the single shade of green, so having disparate themes within that one shade of green can be forgiven. But the textural sins are repeated with the white pieces and the silver(s). The end result is that, while his size and form are impressive, on closer inspection is had no theme or visual flavor; just there to fill a gap. Compounding this are the fact that not all the gaps are filled, most notably the hips, with only the green hand pieces sitting where there should be a rounded transition between the legs and torso, and the fact that the shoulders and hips are about the same height, where for all other BIONICLE characters (with a few obvious exceptions) and most humanoids the shoulders are wider enough to let the arms fall naturally.

I’m sure it’ll come off as harsh, but hopefully now you understand where my distaste for this interpretation comes from, and understand a little about how to avert its issues in the future.

3 Likes

But don’t the nuva then have three textures because the mata have two and then you add the smooth one?

Not the best example, but most of the gears get hidden by the armor, and the pistons are less prominent.

Well besides, this is kind of my building style for most of my MOCs, and I’m not going to change it, at least not to much, I hope you understand.

I was the same way back in 2014. You can keep your style but you can’t and shouldn’t force everyone to like it.

Well yeah, I wasn’t trying to change your mind, I was trying to make sure that people would be more polite.

1 Like

It looks like Tanma is in a giant mech suit lol

but great job i really like it

2 Likes

Thanks! I worked hard on it.

I wasn’t sure if should’ve given him Tanma’s a mask or not, my brother helped me decide for it and I think it works well with his physique.

But needless to say it was the only lime mask I had.

Also, is that lime Av matoran torso from Tarduk?

Nice MOC.

Actually, @The_Chronicler made a white Artakha MOC: Artakha the Allsmith (Canon Contest #2: Meet the Maker)

Also, where did the name “Kaihanga Nui” come from? Just curious.
Anyway, good luck!

2 Likes

Yes, I have two Tarduks.

His MOC is primarily white and gun metal, but he apparently had to change it due to it having over three shades of green at one time, so maybe before then it was more like that.

As for the name, “Kaihanga” means bulider, maker, creator, etc. in maori and “Nui” means “great” as you might know from Mata Nui, therefore the name is “Great Maker”, “Great Creator”, etc.

2 Likes

That is some next level building right there very nice.

1 Like

There is so much conversation for that Arthakha. I think only one word is needed to describe him: EPIC.

Well, he is realy nice actually, wouldn’t imagined Arhtakha looking like that, but it is certainly a good and unique interpretation. And lime is better for him than sand green.

1 Like

@Bodi, @Lesnichiy, Thank you both!

1 Like

So I thought I might as well do this to show what my Artakha would look like in gray-green with KhingK’s Mask of Creation on.

Here it is!

It looks slapped on there because it is.

7 Likes

Definitely blends in with the white/silver a bit better.

2 Likes