BIONICLE Canon Contest #2: Meet the Maker, Part 2 (Art)

So I was thinking of covering Artakha in the runes the Baterra seemed to speak in, because I figured it made sense as a Great Being programing language, but as some other people on the boards recently discovered, it’s just Klingon from Star Trek. Would that be some kind of copyright issue if I did that?

1 Like

I mean, yeah, probably? But on top of that, I think covering Artakha with Klingon is just lame. Anyone who can recognize the language will find that pretty laughable.

6 Likes

Yeah, I agree. I was honestly just kind of interested in the legality more than the runes at that point. Back to the drawing board!

2 Likes

If an official graphic novel that was sold had Klingon and it wasn’t an issue, I don’t see how one piece of art on a wiki can be an issue.

5 Likes

I assume that’s simply because nobody paid attention to that/nobody cared. No wonder given the poor sales of these graphic novels.

And just because it’s official doesn’t mean it isn’t lazy or, well, dumb. The same graphic novel used stock images of Raanu and Zesk as Rock Tribe villagers, it’s pretty clear the artist didn’t really care about canon-accuracy. So yeah I wouldn’t use Klingon on Artakha, all things considered.

4 Likes

https://board.ttvchannel.com/t/canon-contest-2-meet-the-maker-part-2-art-entry/56563 here is my entry

I believe you have to post it here:

They switched it up.

Whoops

Question: Are we allowed to include a matoran in the drawing?

Also, this was asked before by someone else, but I don’t think it was ever answered. Are we allowed to change the color/design of the cape?

I haven’t shown my entry but that’s exactly what I did for mine

Personally the cape is a non-structural element of the MoC and, like the mask, there should be no issues with modifying it as long as the MoC itself is represented as closely as possible in your artwork.

As for Matoran, same deal - as long as Artakha is the focus of your artwork you can have pretty much whatever you want in the background.

5 Likes

Do the G2 Mask of Creation’s symbols mean something? I wanna translate them to Matoran for my mask, but they aren’t letters of the Okotan alphabet.

The runes on the G2 Mask of Creation are just a fancy pattern.
They aren’t any sort of substitution cipher.

There was a fair bit of discussion on them at the time - I believe the same string of symbols appears on various G2 visuals, sometimes mirrored, to give the effect of writing without actually putting random words on stuff.

4 Likes

my entry! Good luck to everyone, guys!

I think you got the wrong topic

oh, my bad. Thank you

The letters on the mask are part of a custom alphabet created by the designer of the mask.

The translation can be found here:

You need to link it to a different topic

What do you mean?

1 Like

You need to link your topic to the entry list topic to be entered, I believe