BIONICLE Canon Contest #3: Honor Guard, Part 2 (Art) + Part 1 Winners

Okay, out of the finalists, these four were the exact ones I wanted to win. Neat.

Also, I know Galva isn’t a fan of Gaaki’s mask anymore, but I for one think it’s gorgeous.

7 Likes

Thanks. Painting all on one layer isn’t something I’m experienced in but I’m glad with how this turned out. Here’s more photos if you’d like.

7 Likes

Custom masks notwithstanding, I’ve manage to put together a fairly accurate rendition of the team tonight:

22 Likes

They fit oddly well together

3 Likes

Looks pretty good, it’s better than I thought.

1 Like

We want them to be held, displayed, and posed in the same stature as Norik and Iruini. That’s the whole point behind the stipulation. I get that it doesn’t make sense to some of you, but there’s a precedent set for how the Toa in G1 wield shields and we want to follow it.

Keep in mind: there’s nothing stopping you from including alternative storage methods, action shots, slamming the shield down, etc. or whatever you want as alternative photos in your MoC topic. We love seeing cool stuff, and it could help sell your creation and show it off. Your entry photo, though, has to have the shield be held in the hand or stored on the back.

They connect to the hand via the thick throwbot foot, does that not count as being in the hand?

Unfortunately not. It’s the same way as wearing a watch on your wrist and having free movement in your fingers doesn’t count as the watch being in your hand. The fact that we can see their fingers automatically makes it a no-go. The type of connection we’re looking for is in keeping with Norik and Iruini and how they hold their shields; at least, for the entry photo.
Toa Hagah Canon Contest Ruleset Feedback - #437 by Mesonak

:thinking:

6 Likes

…Heeeeey, this is a good point. Is Double’s invalidated? That piece can’t be both the hand and the forearm. @Eljay @Mesonak

2 Likes

You think that they may have noticed by now if that was the case

4 Likes

Honestly, seeing this, I think I do like blue Pouks.

Maybe, but those spiked shoulder armor and metru foot in gunmetal are pretty hard to find.

1 Like

Remember, everyone
Draw Blouks instead of Pouks

3 Likes

It’s fixed in Double’s topic

Um, no it isn’t.
The main picture on Double’s topic still has the shield on the back of his hand. It always has.

1 Like

Let me jot down my thoughts one at a time.
First of all, I’m really glad that this Bomonga ended up being the winner. This one had been my favorite since the beginning and its anchor arms bring a unique flare that none of the others really have.
Like I said before, I personally wasn’t all that thrilled with the Kualuses that made it to round 3, but I’m fine with the one that ultimately won out if only bc it has a cool scarf that I think really works for an ice character like him.
Gaaki had the opposite problem in that all of them that made it to round 3 were fantastic and I didn’t know who to vote for. I really would’ve been satisfied with any of them.
As for Pouks… oh Pouks, look how the mighty have fallen. First you could’ve been pink, then blue, but the winning entry is grey (before the art potentially changes that). Besides that, I actually really like this one.

2 Likes

It’s even harder to find them in metal blue.

2 Likes

Do the hagah shields have to be held by the left hand in the art? Or can they be switched to the other hand?

1 Like

I’d say that should be left up to the artists. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Since Norik and Iruini were depicted holding their shield with one hand or the other, I don’t see a reason why it should be mandatory. But I could be wrong.

image image

10 Likes

Is that first picture mirrored? The Rhotuka holder on Norik’s shield is backwards, and I can’t see Iruini’s since its lower half seems to vanish into thin air behind Norik.

1 Like

Well, that’s the way it appeared on the comic cover. The comic art could’ve been mirrored.

Worth noting, their shields are in their right hand throughout the comic.

2 Likes

A render of Double’s Bomonga

5 Likes