BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

That’s messed up but not relevant to the overall contest environment, only to Eljay being a jerk.

That’s your opinion that the Metru torso debate wasn’t ultimately meaningful. And even if they were just laughing at my position and not my MOC, it isn’t any better. I have never laughed at or mocked anyone’s opinions here, and stated quite the opposite, that we can agree to disagree. It’s Eljay and Meso that seem to not understand that.

As long as Eljay and Meso are the ones running the contests, I think it is relevant.

1 Like

Is it just me or am I see both sides to this?

I can definitely see why some people might think Eljay may sound rude or a tad bit harsh at times (I hope Eljay does not take offense in this, as that is not my intention here) but with that being said I highly doubt that Eljay is purposely trying to specifically offend anyone.

Eljay probably was just having too much fun in the moment on-stream and may have not realized that he was actually offending you? He may have just assumed that he was just having fun in the moment and may have not meant to personally attack you, and probably didn’t realize that what he said sounded like he was doing so.

2 Likes

I think it’s fair to say they were insensitive, but I don’t think you really get why it happened. You put so much effort into saying custom torsos should be allowed because it lets you…make an Inika pauldron get a stud closer to the body. At the expense of a gearbox and the angled shoulders that characterize the existing Hagah designs.

Now, that may sound important to you, but it seems to me like a majority of users here really don’t think that matters, myself included. It’s such a small detail and it’s not something most of us think about or even notice, but you talked about it like it was a very important thing.

I mean, I don’t like Dave Mustaine as a person, but that doesn’t stop me from listening to Megadeth. His stupid voice does, though.

2 Likes

Oh man its still going

3 Likes

You probably wouldn’t have been happy with our tone because we probably would have laughed at it. A lot. Not for the purpose of belittling you, but because from our unique perspective as non MoCists whose primary concern is canon… the difference here is, again, borderline nonexistent. I get what you’re trying to convey, truly, and from a MoCists perspective you’re 100% correct. I think you adequately made your case for why the idea is solid, I presented it as such, and we’re fairly considering it based on all the points you made.

What Meso basically told me was “from a MoCist perspective, you’re absolutely right. But to us, we would’ve laughed at it,” and they did on Nak & Jay. Again, I understand that they don’t see it the way I do since they’re admittedly non-MoCists, and I get that people don’t agree with me on the importance of the Metru build debate. That’s all fine, but what isn’t is when opinions aren’t treated with respect.

At this point, I don’t really care for the contests (especially since I want them to end). What I care more about is holding Meso and Eljay up to their behavior. If the contests are going to continue, they’ve proven multiple times different people should be in charge of them.

2 Likes

I guess that’s fair enough.

I don’t think that Eljay or Meso shouldn’t stop hosting these contests however, because I’m personally fine with them doing so, but I do see where your coming from as to them going too far and maybe not thinking about what they say and instead coming off as not respecting you.

I’m sorry that what they said offended and you all I can say is that I hope you and Eljay and Meso can resolve this sometime.

@SirKeksalot
I don’t know if I’m the only one who ever thought about this, but in a way, Eljay kind of reminds me of Gordon Ramsey. He can be pretty picky with what people make, and with that being said, can also sometimes say and critique things just like Gordon that sound like he’s going a bit too far sometimes and yelling and making fun of other peoples’ work.

But with this being said, I still doubt that Eljay was trying to personally harass you. This was probably just an in-the-moment incident and to Eljay, he was probably criticizing your work so he can tell you what he feels needs to be improved on in the future but may have sounded like he was a bit rude in the way he said this, a lot like Gordon Ramsey does every once in a while.

Edited for Double Post- Prentice1215

2 Likes

Having caught up on the- 156 OH COME ON!!! -posts here, I only have two things to add:

1. Of course I have an opinion. But points were made on both sides that I agree with that were more cohesively and succinctly formulated than anything I could write, so I’ll just let those people continue to do the talking.

2. There are two Kinis that live in my head. One Kini has his feet up on a tropical beach somewhere, sipping sangrias with sunglasses and a Hawaiian s hirt on. The other Kini is flipping a table, and he doesn’t know why.

6 Likes

Yo dudes, I’m just happy these contests are happening to let me contribute to the story. I was too young to enter any of the OG contests during G1’s run, and I was always bummed I missed the classic contest windows, so I’m glad I get a chance now. It’s fun, imo.

9 Likes

Okay Imma be brutally honest here and say most of the “contest should end” arguments not only imply there’s more people then there actually are wanting them to end also sound full of egotism and self-justification.

All of these arguments basically boil down to “I’m upset/don’t like the contests so no one else can and I’m right because of these either pointless or farthest reach analogs” It really feels like the anti-contest people are just reaching at the farthest straws for their justification to objectify their opinions as facts to prove the pro-contest people as wrong.

If you don’t like the contests great there’s nothing wrong with that but stop trying to objectify your opinions as fact and acting like those who want them to continue are wrong and evil and Bionicle haters etc etc etc

7 Likes

dude dude dude

why

the discussions were just beginning to die down

2 Likes

I kinda gave up on following the convo since it seemed to just be repeating arguments over and over again lol

5 Likes

Bad Ending: TTV never posts the Hagah polls and we’re trapped in an infinite Schrodinger’s contest debate for the rest of time

22 Likes

My two cents: Bionicle exists canonically in a multiverse with alternate realities, theses contests are determining canon in the “Prime” one. Your headcanon can still exist as a another universe.

Your headcanon is already canon.

14 Likes

Right, there’s no objective reason the contests need to end. Is there an objective and/or altruistic reason the contests should continue? Everyone here is arguing about what they want the future of Bionicle to look like, neither side puts us closer to world peace or anything. This whole thing is incredibly subjective and I’m pretty sure almost everyone here knows that. Posts like this don’t help anyone.

4 Likes

To be honest, realy, realy honest,
I think TTV is partly responsible for the many problems in the contest, but they aren’t evil of all.

There are also criticisms that the TTV staff will influence the canon results.
I understand this, but at the same time it can mean the dangerous fact that if LEGO official staff hold a Toa contest, they must be criticized by those who did not love the results.

This is because “as long as it is held by humans, the contest is inevitably slightly unintentionally influenced by the operating policy of the organization.”

TTV is holding the contest officially with permission from LEGO, and I think it has legitimacy in this regard. They are at least not a group of madmen trying to hold contests on their own and push them into the community as canons.

At the Helryx contest, TTV took serious measures to deal with the interference from chaotic outsiders.
Almost everything went well in the Artakha contest, except for some who suddenly broke their promises.
And now … I’m still not sure. They may be trying to calm down various problems caused by Mr. Hawkeye’s resignation. In that case no one can blame them. It’s a force majeure, necessary process.

I think people these days are too likely to first criticize, attack, and ridicule someone.
In this situation, No matter how ideal the contest is, it doesn’t work ideally.
off course any discussion too.

It took a lot of courage to say this, but I still say.
I can’t wait for Poll too, but I think this is a “long vacation” and recommend that you try to cool your head once.

14 Likes

Well, here we go again. Due to the heated nature of the “discussion” the last few hours, this topic will be shut down until Monday the 5th. So take some time to cool off, and you Americans out there enjoy the festivities of the Independence Day weekend. Hopefully when the topic is re-opened, cooler heads will prevail.

-Mod Staff

16 Likes

I don’t see why this has to happen, everything’d be fine if people would just see that I’m OBJECTIVELY right and they are all so stupid!

5 Likes