BIONICLE G1 Canon Contests Discussion & Questions

I’ve been thinking of doing him a blank grey and silver but then with splashes of colour from power he has drained from toa! One idea could be to have a core in the chest where all colours are present, and for different limbs to have different colours.

4 Likes

I see him as being visually simple; I feel like the most versatile weapon that can be used against any Toa is raw strength, so I’d prefer a very strong-looking build with minimal fancy weaponry.

As for colours, I think I’d prefer something on either end of the spectrum; either a basic black/silver combo, or something ridiculously colourful like this:

(Also, while we’re discussing colour, I just found that Nidhiki is specifically known to have green shoulders. Normally I wouldn’t consider this to be a very big deal, but it’s unfortunate since I just finished making a Nidhiki with an explicit focus on not having any green in the shoulder area.)

EDIT: Birth of a Dark Hunter actually gives us some partial hints on what Toa Nidhiki looks like. There’s the green shoulders mentioned above, as well as this line about his Toa Tool:

This time he sent elemental air power from both sides of his tool, bracketing [Lariska].

Does that mean his scythe has two tips, somehow? Did he just shoot air out of the blunt end? Double-sided scythe, somehow?

Also, there’s this note about his mutation:

Nidhiki’s head and arms had changed their shape. Most grotesque of all, his lower body now resembled that of a huge, four-legged insect.

It’s interesting that his head, legs, and arms are all specifically mentioned, but his torso isn’t. Is it just because the change from “humanoid torso” to “humanoid torso with slightly different armour” isn’t worth mentioning, or does he actually have the exact same armour pattern? I don’t know.

Thoughts? Interpretations?

EDIT 2: On a completely unrelated note, I actually found a rough timeline of when the Toa Hagah may have formed, for the purposes of determining which “past heroes” might be getting honoured:

Jovan’s team is on the table.

1 Like

Wow, that’s amazing. I’m curious if those VooDoo Heads prototypes were any inspiration.

Johmak could definitely be cool. There are so many crystalline Lego pieces now (mostly system parts) that the amazing MOCists working today could make something awesome, Vortixx-like but crystalline at the same time (and the shield of course).

The Scythe could have a rakshi Guurakh staf piece as the tip.

It is not out of the possibility that toa could send elemental energy through blunt end of their weapon.

In theory toa could crab a weapon enemy is holding and send elemental energy through it to them.

Well, I’ve already built my Marendar MOC, so I might share some stuff about it.

I used black and white with some transparent red accents as the colour scheme.
I’m strongly against using silver in Marendar, to the point where I made sure not to include any silver pieces in it, not even a single one.
As for the silhouette, I tried to make it look both buff and strong and sleek and agile at the same time, which was a hard challenge.

Definitely a custom head. It is kind of head-shaped, but doesn’t have any facial features besides the eyes. It was done to show how emotionless and merciless Marendar is.
With the colour scheme, the silhouette and the design I was going for a surreal look. I think there should be something unsettling about Marendar’s appearance, like there’s something not quite right in it.

I based my MOC of off this drawing I made a while ago. I changed a lot of things, but the general vibe is still there.

7 Likes

I wouldn’t be so sure about this. Marendar is sapient, just like the Toa.

I suppose it’s possible to be sapient yet also have no emotions, but I think it would have been cool to see Marendar as an actual character, rather than just something for the Toa to beat.

I loved this drawing, and still do. That absolutely looks like a super cool character.

Have you shared any pictures of the MOC yet?

3 Likes

I may disagree about its coloring, but I like this aesthetic very much.
I think they’re not just “a big Toa”.

3 Likes

Or at least colors representing original six. There are more elements than that but I think if any moc wants to include colors of the toa, original six seems good option.

I’d like to think Marendars greatest weapon is his absurd stamina. He could be burried under a mountain and dig himself out. It could take a day, it could take a month, Marendar burrows through and still has more than enough power left to go all out against everyone.

@Bukkey Do you consider sets like Maxilos, Umbra, Hydraxon, Axonn as big toas? what would be the difference between a big toa and ideal marendar in your mind?

2 Likes

The reason why I think that Marendar should be emotionless is because emotions can affect decisions and judgments and that can lead to rash moves and mistakes. I think that the Great Beings wanted Marendar to be as effective as possible, so they probably considered emotions a weakness for Marendar that could potentially cause its failure.

No, I haven’t. I am going to make a topic about this MOC here eventually, I just don’t have an opportunity to take the pictures of it now or any time soon

4 Likes

During this time I did something similar on this topic about Nidhiki, but now I have to say this to you:
I’m Sorry, but I don’t talking about them, and didin’t said so.

Again, I’m talking about Marendar - in my imagine.
and it’s the beings with almost no details of the appearance that was confirmed to be canon.
I think that I don’t need to talk and disorder about Axonn, Hydraxon, Maxlios, and Umbra’s appearance, because it’s canon.
(Off course they are Great designs) :wink:

I’d like to say that if I see a great Marendar MOC that I’m happy with, even if it’s a “Big-Toa”, I’ll throw away my opinion and vote promptly.
I often build MOCs, so I say it’s good to having a solid design, but if I hear my soul yelling “This is great!”, and didn’t accept its value for past-pride of myself, it will ultimately make me unhappy.

By the way, this is the answer to the question. At least my Marendar-imagination right now is like this:

-Silver and gray
(As an antithesis to Elemental powers)

-“No-face” or “Doesn’t have a clear ‘face’ on its face”
(I haven’t decided if it’s a flat surface or if it just has sensors that look like strange patterns. But “face” is a very important conceptual design of BIONICLE, and there are face sculptures and buildings in various parts of MU(include Kanohi-design).

Flash_Po-Metru
And Toa was the guardian of the MU, So I imagine that Marendar has no “face” or “mask” on his head as a symbol of the “Toa Eliminater” deliberately set up by GB.)

-Strange point on its proportion
(It may reverse-leg, or big hand, or Extreme hunching. But If it’s too Monster-like, I may don’t vote to it)

8 Likes

Yeah, exactly. He turns different colors based on which elements he drains.

3 Likes

Doesn’t Marendar detect Toa Power, not elemental?

2 Likes

Yeah but it would make sense if he could absorb elemental powers used against him.

3 Likes

But that’s juxtaposing your headcanon onto the character, which isn’t what we’re doing here. We aren’t here to define the character’s abilities - we’re here to define the character’s appearance.

The Marendar MOCs people have asked me for critique about have focused too much on their own lore/headcanon, and it ultimately shows.

Additionally, BS01 states that Marendar has a “natural resistance” to elemental power - if he could straight up absorb it, you’d think someone would’ve mentioned it.

11 Likes

Okay, good point.
But my headcanon is still that he can absorb elemental powers.

2 Likes

Ok, so fun fact: The Helryx contest is almost a year old soon

13 Likes

Yeah, at this rate the Marendar contest will be 8 years from now.

14 Likes

:scream:

3 Likes

good. by then, no one will care, and i will be the only entree! mwahaha!

7 Likes