BIONICLE Set # 8945: Solek, the worst G1 Bionicle Set

@Mesonak
You win fair and square -_-

Gathered friends, listen again to the tale of why Solek is unequivocally the worst G1 BIONICLE set ever created.

My original stance on this set was that it was a semi decent lump of plastic. However, in further inspection, it is evident why this set is one of the worst. First, lets take a look at solek in comparison to other Matoran-sized sets from G1. The Tohunga, while simple for the time, still managed to incorporate both a disc-throwing function as well as the mask-popping function that are beloved by fans since there release. Fast-forward 7 Years, with greater advances in designing innovative products at LEGO, and what do you get: Solek. He has no function whatsoever, reuses old assests in Toa-Mata feet instead of using a newer foot mould, has uninspired and reused weapons, and worst of all his limbs don’t even move. The tohunga, McDonalds Promo sets from 2001 had bendable arms, and they couldn’t even be botherd to give Solek joints? Terrible.

When compared to later Matoran, The rebuilt Matoran of Mata-Nui had both movable/posable appendages, a kohli swinging function and a cool Kohli Stick. Metru-toran? Disk Shooters and poseable limbs. Voyatoran? Poseable limbs, unique and creative design choices with at least somewhat interesting weapon choices. Even the mahri-nui matoran had an interesting build using a Hordika Chest plate of all things and Vahki arms. And even utilizing those piece, they STILL have more articulation, uniqueness and function than Solek.

Now to compare him to his other Av-Matoran brethren. While they all suffer from locked limbs, uncreative color-schemes (Grey and Orange, who thought this was a good idea?), Solek is simply the worst of the bunch. Grey and White is one of the most overused colors in G1 Bionicle, and to make matters worse, its ruined even further by his Av-toran head, in transluscent green no less. They couldn’t even be bothered to give him blue eyes to stick with the Ko-theme? Even his mask, which is supposed to be a noble version of the Akaku is all wrong. The Akaku is noted for being an Asymetrical mask with a scope on one side, an element that was carried through to EVERY Kopaka set made to this day. Yet the “Noble” version of it present on Solek…no scope. At least Tanma and Photoks masks somewhat resembled the great versions of their Kanohi.

Solek is by far one of the most dissapointing, uncreative, and bland sets ever created by LEGO. He lacks any sort of personality, uniqueness in function or color scheme, and couldn’t even be bothered to keep the scope on the noble Akaku. It really is sad when its prototype is legitimately a better looking set than the final product

At least that would have had some personality and uniqueness. What a shame.

-Star

33 Likes

Someone’s still salty over Skull Scorpio being the worst.

-MT

3 Likes

Star, this was great! Meso will be pleased.

3 Likes

Seeing how the Noble Matatu didn’t have a scope, yet its great version did, I’m pretty sure you could say the same could occur with the Akaku, but great review nonetheless. :wink:

6 Likes

And someone thinks that Skull Scorpio is pretty cool. :wink:

4 Likes

Get no-scoped Solek! :smile:

But anyways, nice topic!

6 Likes

mwahaha

For the background on this topic, Star and I had a bet over whether Taka: Master of Light was fake or not. :stuck_out_tongue:

This topic AND finding Kopaka/Melum? You da best, Star.

-Mesonak

18 Likes

#######StarconfirmedtoreturntoTTV2015

8 Likes

You forgot about the joints!?

0/10 - Forgot the joints

2 Likes

“The tohunga, McDonalds Promo sets from 2001 had bendable arms, and they couldn’t even be botherd to give Solek joints? Terrible.”

:stuck_out_tongue:

-Star

1 Like

Not those Joints! These Joints!

1 Like

The ones that break?

5 Likes

Just Solek Ehem

Photok

Tanma

Solek

Gavla

Radiak

Kirop

Raanu

Berix

Tarduk

Metus

Zesk

Atakus

I’m not including other sets that have the Av-Matoran build because the came with their own vehicles.

1 Like

I personally like Solek more than Photok but I think Tanma is the best av matoran. Just a side note somehow the scopes on Kopaka migrated across his face from his Nuva to Phantoka versions

7 Likes

Basically, the Agori and The Shadow Matoran have more pieces and some pretty interesting designs and the other Av-Matoran have, as said by @Starparu, better masks.

1 Like

Oh those. Those joints need their own review for how terrible they were :stuck_out_tongue:

-Star

6 Likes

Hey I have 10 soleks to my collection. Don’t judge :{

7 Likes

wow. can ya send me some? :smile:

2 Likes

UNPOPULAR OPINION: I actually liked the Noble Akaku and for that matter, the entire set of Noble Mata Masks. They just had a sort of “Turaga Charm” to me.

5 Likes

I actually like the set a bit, but those joints are just the worst. I tried a technique from an old TTV video (rub glue on the insides of the joints with a q-tip), let’s see if it’ll work…

2 Likes