Bionicle Survey

I would actually agree; compared to other direct to dvd realeases, what we got was pretty good.

3 Likes

I am surprised to see 2001 so low for the “favorite year” survey. Although it makes me happy to see the Ignition Trilogy so high. 2007 and 2008 really knew how to up the stakes, and the character moments in those years were truly incredible. 2004 in third place also makes a lot of sense because of how vast Metru Nui is to explore, and the dynamics between the characters are unique.

If we’re talking about the sets and not the story though, 2007 had great builds with lots of variety and great titans. 2008 had some of the best vehicles, and 2004’s metru-build was a great halfway point for the G1 series.

4 Likes

I’m surprised 2007 is so popular. Like I don’t think it’s bad or anything, but I always thought it felt like a sophomore dip after the vastly more interesting 2006.

I like 2007. This isn’t an anti 2007 post or anything. I’m just surprised it’s so many people’s #1.

2 Likes

I think it’s just because '06 is very “edgy” compared to other years. Like, the spike mohawk mask and the chain link fence marketing and the All-American Rejects “Free the Band” thing.

'07, while also kinda dark, feels more true to Bionicle in some way, I suppose. '06 felt like it was trying too hard to be “in.”

4 Likes

Favourite location is the only one I just can’t decide on. Mahri Nui is a favourite but mainly for its potential, the underwater environment and village could have been fleshed out way more. Same with places like Bota Magna or the not mentioned Aqua Magna I would have loved to hear more stories about survivors and people on those planets. Metru Nui was also not quite developed enough but is really cool. I think MNOG has cemented Mata Nui as my true favourite idk.

4 Likes

Screen Shot 2020-12-04 at 7.04.46 PM

the real question here is whether or not @Traykar only said this to be controversial.

8 Likes

I felt '07, tone aside, just had a more cohesive story than '06, myself.

In 2006, the Inika never really have any successes against the Piraka. The Piraka aren’t really there for any reason other than Teridax putting the idea in their heads. They only serve to slow the story down for a few books (including with that weird sub-plot where Brutaka’s power got stolen for a bit) and then it ends on this bizarre anti-climax where Vezon ends up being the one to wipe the floor with the Piraka, then when the Inika beat him the mask just decides to go on vacation because there was another story year in need.

The Barraki, on the other hand, were thematically pertinent villains who had a genuine stake in the mask and relevance to the setting, plus the side/titan characters were also more relevant to the main story that year. It became a Dead Man’s Chest-esque mad rush where everyone had their own motive to go after this mask, and almost no faction wasn’t at every other’s throat. Plus we get these beautiful twin-foreshadowing moments with Teridax and Matoro that both ground the story with characters we’ve known since '01, and propel it toward the climax for both that year and the trilogy.

I’m kind of in the same camp, though - I don’t think '06 is bad or anything. But it’s not my top choice (and I’d be interested to hear the arguments otherwise).

7 Likes

It’s not like there was a choice for those who preferred Hero Factory

5 Likes

It’s a Bionicle survey, not a constraction one. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I became a BIONICLE fan in the 2nd to last year of HF’s run, and the only reason I wasn’t a fan earlier is because I was born in 2007.

2 Likes

Facts
I couldn’t agree more.

Get out of here with HF @Traykar :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I have a right to be here

5 Likes

Miramax was definitely weird in that respect (although I do prefer what they did with Pohatu Nuva’s proportions, which were pretty weird in his '02 canister set), but in terms of story-writing, the hierarchy of the movies/shows story-wise are:

1. Bionicle 2: Legends of Metru Nui - Best plot and writing execution of all of them. Also, gives good character moments, and portrays its Toa as less flawless than Mask of Light did with its team, whilst at the same time, making references to Mask of Light that one would appreciate, but don’t come off (at least to me, anyway) as empty/rip-off-ish/SW Sequel Trilogy-esque, whilst at the same time, setting up a hefty amount of good/fascinating world-building and an ancient hierarchy of how the Matoran Universe worked. Imagine the SW Prequels, but better-executed than the Original Trilogy; that’s how Legends of Metru Nui is to Mask of Light.
  2. Bionicle: Mask of Light — The Movie - If not for Legends of Metru Nui, this would be at the top of the list, as it objectively has the best writing of any of the remaining entries here. You’ve got your good old hero’s journey, and also finally got official sources for what the Toa Nuva sound like (except Lewa,- his voice in that film has to be fake news, or something)
  3. Bionicle: The Legend Reborn - This film, story-wise, unfortunately suffers from the the side-effects of three things: 1) Bara Magna/'09. There’s a significant culture/story shock of the storyline being taken from the characters existing in a full-fledged universe with world-building, places and people the audience has grown to love, and just plain purpose;- in '01 thru '08, characters had a quest to save the world, a destiny to fulfill, a goal to obtain, a reason to exist, and then we’re just thrown into a world that not only feels barren geographically/world-building-wise, but also story-wise, if that makes sense (yes, I quite enjoyed Bionicle Graphic Novel #8, but its effects are little-felt in this film). 2) It suffers from the cartoony-ness of the Tinseltown Toons movies. The Clutch Powers movie plays to the strengths of this (“You know, when he did the ‘thing’ with ‘the thing’?” :stuck_out_tongue:), but I don’t think it’s ideal for a Bionicle film. 3) It suffers from Bionicle getting canned,- and while this is not the only symptom that is exhibited by the canning, it is a big one: this film ends in a cliffhanger that will never be absolved on-screen.
    Please do not take my criticisms to mean that this is a bad movie as far as all five go, though: It is definitely a better one of these films, and the fact that we finally got set-accurate character models, as well as a voice cast more star-studded than any other film in the franchise, and finally getting to see Mata-Nui in action as a pseudo-Optimus Prime, is pretty dang enjoyable.
  4. Bionicle: The Journey to One - Now we step onto the worse end of of the scale. This series (whilst having a nice visual style, set-accurate character models, and a decent voice-casting for Lewa), has writing that feels like a substance-less mess, and has been critiqued much further in-depth than I am willing to do here and now by a bunch of other people.
  5. Bionicle: Web of Shadows - Upon watching this film, one’s mind will shout something to the tune of “what baby dermis turtle did I kick to get condemned to this piece of Karzahni?” It doesn’t help when it’s the first film out of the franchise that you view,- as was my case. (Other than the Hagah, and the backstory for how the Avohkii got to that cavern beneath Ta-Koro, why does anybody like '05, again?)
2 Likes

Well, welcome aboard! :+1:

1 Like

Indeed, welcome! :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

2 Likes

I personally like the Hordika, and Keetongu was an awesome titan set. Unfortunately Roodaka and Sidorak can’t say the same for themselves (though Roodaka is miles better).

I will admit that it is nice have more species added to the world, and Keetongu’s cyclops head is a pretty unique and great edition to the MU’s lineup of builds.
Might I inquire further as to the reasons for your fandom of the Hordika? :slightly_smiling_face:

That year there was also more dark Hunter stuff (from memory) Also the visorak were pretty good enemies being semi intelligent Rahi.

2 Likes

Sorry! :man_facepalming: How could I have forgotten about Time-Trap being an element of '05?

Were there any more Dark Hunter things that year that I’ve failed to mention?

Same.
I got into the franchise in '09, but I think I got a Kongu Mahri sometime earlier.

I especially like Vakama and Nuju’s head design and their choice of weapons.

1 Like