Bionicle Survey

So sorry for your loss.

2 Likes

[quote=“Abacus777, post:63, topic:57249, full:true”]

Indeed.
No one should ever go through that.

2 Likes

Similar for me. I got into Bionicle in 2008, but the thing that hooked me the most was Bionicle’s history. I remember being in awe at the 2001-2008 retrospective video.
But for me, it was more of the previous story that got me into it rather than the previous sets, even tho I really loved the design of the Toa Mata and Bohrok when first seeing them.

4 Likes

Same except it was 09.

Welcome btw

1 Like

I am simply baffled by this ranking. Web of Shadows has the best selection of character defining moments, and the most personal, character-centric story by far. The only really negative I can say about it is that, because the conflict between Vakama and Matau at the end is done very well, it makes the Hordika vs. Visorak stuff less interesting be comparison.

(Though I will admit that the novelisation is better).

About your point on Lewa’s voice: I’ve heard this a lot throughout the community, and have never really understood it. Given his speech pattern, I always imagined Lewa having a voice similar to that. To me it was Onua who sounded off- I just never imagined him having a booming, deep voice, but that’s mostly because his 2001 proportions were so lanky.

2 Likes

YES. Web of Shadows was by far my favorite movie, purely because of the character development and portrayal of Toa as not always being the LG Paladins.

2 Likes

I didn’t like WoS because it conflicted with the established characters too much (especially Vakama) - were you to consider it as a stand-alone story, it’s solid, but being part of the Bionicle story as a whole I feel it’s weak and unnecessary.

It’s not like the characters didn’t get development in the other films, either. Best character moment in any of the movies, for me, is Vakama discovering his mask power/Lhikan’s death - followed tightly by Takanuva’s transformation, which I only find weaker because it’s basically the same thing but Jaller is revived like ten minutes later :stuck_out_tongue:

I did like that the Toa weren’t flawless, but I also feel like Lomn tried to show us that too - and in that movie, their flaws were actual character flaws rather than “oh I got bitten by evil corruption spider”.

The novelization, however, was great - it made the good moments better and the bad ones much more bearable. And even the movie was better than JTO by a fair stretch in my book - I’d take a few minor character missteps over no character steps at all. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Just to argue a counterpoint to this, I actually see the Hordika venom as amplifying the Toa’s worst traits.

Onewa and Matau were even more scornful and impatient than usual, and Vakama’s false confidence and low self-esteem twisted itself into legitimate spite for his friends and a desire for real power. Roodaka and the Visorak horde offered that to him; they would not question his judgement, call him a firespitter or cross-wired, and probably most of all he wouldn’t be able to let them down and disappoint them and fail them. They would willingly destroy themselves to follow orders if they had to.

In my opinion, WoS is just an extension of the same established character traits and flaws set up in LoMN. Everyone always says it never made any sense for Vakama to be the betrayer, but I’ve never seen it that way. At the very least, he makes more sense than Matau (the one Toa most obsessed with his image and status as a hero).

That’s what makes the ending and Matau’s rescue of Vakama all the better. Matau is arguably the most openly critical of Vakama, and he himself was always more focused on being a hero in name than doing good for good’s sake. Vakama was the opposite; someone with a genuine, well-meaning heart, but absolutely no confidence in himself or desire to be praised. It was Matau’s bad treatment towards Vakama that led him to a darker path. The profound thing is that, in that moment in WoS, they are both redeemed; Matau acknowledges his duty to serve and protect and do good for its own sake rather than looking good as a hero, and this helps Vakama realize his bad choice.

His friends are worth leading, and though they might be different from him and critical, sometimes downright cruel, they are all linked by their duty. He can’t afford to take the selfish path, and he chooses to save Matau as a friend.

If I could point to more glaring flaws in both LoMN and WoS is that none of the other Toa ever get this much development. I can’t say I really learned anything about Nuju in either film. But at the very least, even though it’s really only through Vakama and Matau, by the end of WoS I do get a sense that all the Toa have changed for the better.

12 Likes

I totally agree with vakama making the most sense as the betrayer.

3 Likes

Why 2005 so hated breh.

4 Likes

So sorry to hear about your loss.

1 Like

also matau would just be a tradition of green bionicles get possessed

2 Likes

https://twitter.com/LEGO_Group/status/1604770662173777920?s=20&t=C51_UyVlV5inYr94yKsYsA

The LEGO Group has put up a poll on Twitter asking what LEGO theme people would want unlimited sets from. Everyone go and give Bionicle a vote. Who knows, it may be used as market research.

5 Likes

This makes me almost regret not having a Twitter account. Almost.

9 Likes

Friends all the way!

/s

5 Likes

galidor

4 Likes

No. Xalax Racers

2 Likes

But to take the question in a more absurd direction, since I like trying to break the logic of these things, if one where to pick Technic are all its subthemes and product lines included? If so, would the initial sets of Bionicle be a part of this Technic package, since they were under the Technic branding at that time?

This would only include the 2001 sets, and unfortunately leave out the Mctoran since I don’t recall them having Technic branding on them, but would include the mask packs. So unlimited access to the primary masks Bionicle fans enjoy in all those colors, plus the Rahi, plus all the Power Functions, Technic Figures, other weird gadget one-off sets, Throwbots/Slizer, Roboriders, and more? And whatever stuff comes from Technic in future, which is a primary backbone that all Constraction uses and that even large chunks of System relies on? So clearly, the one to pick for the most value is–

City.

Yeah, it’s City. If you were trying to max out potential value and unlimited access, City would be the best choice. But personally, it’s a tough choice between Bionicle and Technic.

6 Likes

Dangit! I don’t have Twitter.

Someone make a 2nd account and vote Bionicle for me.

3 Likes

me and my 317 alts voting for city

8 Likes