Define your MOCing style

I’ve never been good with System parts or building, so my more serious MOCs are very Technic-heavy with CCBS occasionally thrown in. And for some reason, I’ve never minded having blue pins in MOCs. Sometimes I purposefully create inconsistency in my MOCs to give them a battered, ‘realistic’ feel.

But when I go ham, I REALLY try to go ham.

2 Likes

Needs more leg armor/10

There, that’s how I define my style.

But in all seriousness, My MOC style is: Do whatever I see fit…within reason of course.

1 Like

My MOC style is technic heavy, which automaticly means greebles…:stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

My MoC style is very ccbs reliant with g1 mixed in with technic for functions and custom parts.

Lots of Technic. Bionicle armor as coverage.
I try to go for a nice balance though.
Never tend to use much CCBS.

1 Like

I rarely sacrifice mobility for aesthetics.

I tend to stray away from custom limbs (mostly because I lack balljoints) and just use basic one-piece limbs with semi-complex armor on top.

Avoid illegal building techniques at all costs (arguably inhibiting my options)

CCBS is usually an afterthought if nothing else works with technic.

I would describe my Moc style as articulated. I start out with a technic and basic ball joint pieces for a torso, squeeze as much articulation as possible out of it and the armor it up. Rinse repeat for arms and legs, build a unique head and bam! Moc complete

2 Likes

Well, MOCing is usally a bit difficult for me as I have nearly all Bionicle sets ever released in G1, but don’t like to take them apart. So I’m stuck with perhaps an eighth or less of my parts for MOCing which mostly origin from canister sets I have more than once.
And canister sets aren’t such a good basis for custom torsos and limbs, which I usally like to do.

Otherwise I always aim to give my MOCs enough stability and articulation, so that they could be used for playing like a normal set without pieces falling off all the time. This also goes well with the intention of making my MOCs blend in as best as possible into Bionicle G1. That’s why I also don’t use CCBS parts at all - but I don’t have any spare ones to begin with.
I usally also don’t use system parts, though in my most recent MOCs I did a bit - mostly for hands.

My favorite scale is about G1 Titan sized with a Toa sized MOC here and there and once in a while some small Rahi.

Or, to let pictures speak:
Titan scale: Makuta Kindrix
Toa scale: Scordan
Small scale: Rahi collection

3 Likes

same!

After seeing some of the in depth descriptions here, I feel the need to elaborate on my previous description.

I tend to avoid illegal connections, but may use one here or there as I see fit. As far as limbs go, I usually go all custom, as plain CCBS feels to smooth and simple, but most standard G1 limbs seem oddly shaped or gappy. as well as that, I try to use interesting angles in my builds, mostly in the torsos and lower legs. I absolutely never give up aesthetics in favor of articulation, but I do try to keep my builds flexible enough to hold poses. Greebling isn’t my strong suit, so I usually avoid it. System is only used for hands or coverage.

This style can be seen in many of my works, particularly these two, the former having recently been completed and uploaded, and the latter still in the works:

6 Likes

i experiment and see what sticks

I build the majority of the Moc out of CCBS, G1 and technic then I use system to fill in the gaps and smoothen it out if it needs it.

1 Like

Mostly gen 1 mixed with technic when needed (armor, frame, filling out) I’d like to say I build Ccbs but my only moc really using it is my self moc Kaos. They mostly all have some kind of aesthetic to them (demon, killer, fairy, Angel, knight, etc.) though I have noticed I usually have a gimmick;

Transforming in some way. Either way something changes.

Multiple weapons. I have one moc that stores 2 pistols, a knife, a short sword, a sawed off shotgun, a rifle, 2 hooks, and a normal sword all at the same time. That’s not including his fold out wings or shoulder cannons.

I also like using “useless” peices; piraka spine mask, big chill wings, fenrak skulls.

One new one includes old characters

Red rakshi transformer
Brown rakshi nuva
Mahri kongu transformer
2003 makuta (who oddly enough doesn’t transform, one weapon, no “useless” peices, and no aesthetic other than the one on the original set.

My entire build style in a nutshell:

3 Likes

Old, cranky, and farts fire?

3 Likes

Overcomplicated & detailed, full of needless backstory and plot twists, generally falling apart, revered but well past his golden days, and unrepentantly English.

9 Likes

“revered for his beard”

3 Likes

-Come up with ideas for a colour scheme and silhouette.
-Build a compact intricate torso out Technic parts with plated armour.
-Groan for about an hour because I can’t do limbs.
-Scrap and repeat until limbs actually work.

I suppose one could say I have a unique style
I mostly make my mocs smooth, and add a bit of greebling
I try not to overdo it to the point of unnecessary greebles

1 Like

I’m terrable at limbs

1 Like