Dreamspace - Signups and OOC

Wow slow

2 Likes

Simple sketch of the approved/pending cast (@N01InParticular’s Alexis, @Diero’s Miles, @Ghid’s Basil, @Willess12’s Sue, @Kirathel’s Eve)

No designs here are final I’m just trying to determine an artstyle. Miles was the most fun to draw out of the group but jeez coming up with an artstyle for the gang is difficult. Recommendations are much appreciated and feel free to dunk on my lack of skill

6 Likes

Where fish?

5 Likes

I FORGOT FISH
BEST CHARACTER

:pensive: I have failed the rp…

7 Likes

I’m sure there’s something out there that can forgive you for this.

4 Likes

@Ghid @Winger

Here is the revised profile. Please let me know of any further points of concern.

Name: Eve Taimon

Info: Female, around 6’, has a black folding knife with a glassbreaker at the other end.

Appearance: As a human, a rather unspecial looking brown-eyed woman with a thin face and (probably dyed) blonde hair. She usually wears a black sweater and dark blue sweatpants, and has a closet almost entirely full of that same outfit.

Dream: In her dream, Eve Taimon became something “more than human”. Her body from the neck down turned into a mechanical being, whether purely robotic or cyborg is unknown, and it’s unclear what’s left of her original self beside her head and immaculately (probably dyed) hair. Even her eyes have changed, becoming an electric shade of blue rather than brown.

She’s now markedly tougher than the average person, with increased strength and durability on account of her mechanized form. Said new form also boasts bladed fingertips, which serve both to cut and also make surprisingly adept carving tools. Too bad she’s middling at carving.

Nightmare: But all her transformations have left her somewhat…disconnected from her surroundings. The less Eve sees the world around her as “human” or real, the more her powers fluctuate. So long as she remains confident and assured the world is at her whim and not the other way around, her control is certain.

But the more conflicted she feels, the more fractured her worldview becomes, the less control she maintains, and her mechanical body starts reacting. Lashing out in raw emotion in moments of conflict. Anger, despair, joy, apathy, any heightened emotional state combined with this uncertainty can set her off like a bomb, turning attacks intended for an enemy against herself.

The more confident her opinion, whether passionate or uncaring, the more sure her power; doubt and conflict cause emotional outbursts and potentially devastating self-harm in combat.

Backstory: Eve Taimon was born to parents who remembered the world before MENDAX, before the walled cities and open wastelands. She spent her childhood listening to story after story about the bright past and the dim future, and slowly ingesting her parent’s resentment toward their current world.

By the time they were taken from her by a viral disease, Eve already was deeply uncomfortable in her home, let alone the world at large. She started working for MENDAX after a while, trying to pay bills and live quietly.

But the stories never went away. The thought of a better world, of living in someplace worth living in and not her soulless apartment and desk job drove her madder and madder. When she was diagnosed with the same disease that took her parents Eve could only muster up a dull disappointment rather than any real rage at the world. She bought the cure, swallowed the cost, and after a painful recovery process finally broke her self-made vow and bought some SNOVA.

The last thing she remembers before the dream is downing the pill and wishing she could uproot the city by its foundations.

Personality: Taimon is a reserved person. She doesn’t mind the company of others, but her standoffish nature can put her at odds with others. She tends to become progressively more wordy when angered, and more terse when at ease. She could use friends, if she could admit to herself she needs them.

Vices: Eve can be extraordinarily selfish, preferring her dreams of a past world to the current one, and neglecting others to reminisce on said dreams.

If there’s nothing worthwhile in this world, why not forget it ever was?

4 Likes

I am sorry that I have school internals that I need to do

3 Likes

Well, there’s nothing I can complain about here. Everything’s up to snuff on my end, just keep in mind her emotional outbursts are not limited to only occurring in combat.

With that, Eve Taimon passes the karyotype test and only Winger’s approval remains.

5 Likes

Indeed

3 Likes

It’s all good on my end. approved. Sorry for the complications.

4 Likes

Sorry I don’t think I will be able to sign up within a quick amount of time, and I don’t really understand the core concept of this rgp, I will still follow the rpg as it goes up

5 Likes

Oh, uh

If you were waiting for me to say “yeah, I’m good with that.”

Yeah, I’m Ghid with that.

3 Likes

laugh track intensifies

3 Likes

There’s no need to sign up immediately at the start; maybe later on, when the format of the game is explained a little better, it might interest you. But I appreciate your following the rp all the same.

As for startup, probably not for another couple days at the soonest. We’d like to have things figured out a teensy bit further into the story before we begin, and that could take a minute.

ALSO, @Diero, I will need to discuss this with Winger, but if it’s alright with you I should probably retcon the whole squid head thing and leave the rest as-is. I still really like the idea, but if there’s a possible webcomic, it might be seen as connecting your character and the floating sentient fish continuity-wise, which they aren’t.

2 Likes

The worst of swear words

6 Likes

Are you still taking characters?

2 Likes

Heck yeah. Plans are for the RP to kick off on Saturday, but even after then signups will still be open.

4 Likes

I feel the sentient floating fish has left a bad precedent.

We here at EgomaniaTM (Winger and myself) have something of a bias based on knowledge of the capabilities established by players who have signed up for other RPs in the past, or who have GMed their own games. @Ajtazt, the boards member behind Malaco “Sweetest Fish”, has a reputation for being verbose and climactic in the way he approaches RPing and GMing.

Therefore, when he approaches this RP and proposes to write from the perspective of a sentient goldfish who speaks perfect english (and I expect will also take an unnecessary amount of time to trash-talk the other characters) both Winger and myself are, if hesitantly, willing to go along with the proposition since we are familiar with his level of capability and know he has the potential to write this character to its fullest extent.

We don’t know who you are.

You haven’t taken part in an RP on TTV before - which is hardly disallowing; new players are more than welcome - but we have no possible way of forming an opinion of your abilities outside of the signup itself. We had at least a pattern of writing style to go off of for Ajtazt’s character, but with nothing outside of the signup, (and since you also don’t seem to know how these sort of RPs operate), I don’t think either of us will be willing to approve this particular character.

However, until Winger says one way or the other, I’m going to assume Garth is still in the runnings. Let’s take a closer look behind that mask:

Ah, yes. A human. I too am a smart yet lonely human, am I right my fellow humans? This truly is a relatable human moment.

In all seriousness, this is a somewhat interesting character, but I’m not entirely sure he fits within the context of the RP. Nothing about his nightmare specifically involves turning into a seagull, and the telepathy has no discernable connection either. Unless the seagulls simply choose not to speak to me…

Now if this character had a reworked nightmare, was still to some degree a smart yet lonely human, and had some otherr tweaking, he might be a better fit for the game. But there’s another really big issue we need to address before that happens.

This is not DnD. It is vaguely DnD-esqe in terms of how it runs, but there are no dice rolls or magic systems or what have you. It is a play-by-post Rp, which in essence is taking turns telling a story from your character’s perspective. The format is similar, but the approach is wildly different, so if you enter expecting that experience you may be thoroughly disappointed.

That’s why I created the Official RPG how-To Topic as a nifty guide for players both new and old looking to craft a story, increase writing capability, or just have a good time writing from the perspective of a given character. It’s hardly complete, but it’s got all sorts of info from the basics on how to play to some specifics on writing quality and game management. I highly recommend giving it a read.

7 Likes

Ghid said it pretty well. Malaco is an exception, not a precedent.

You actually have quite a solid character start, but with no knowledge of your RPing capabilities, we’re going to have to say no on it being a literal seagull. Nearly everything else can function in isolation from being a seagull, and you can definitely keep them while finding a different mutation.

In terms of balancing, straight up mind-reading and telepathy does seem both over-powered and a bit inhumane. If people don’t metagame, as we hope, it would likely end up with your character becoming a pariah among the others.

7 Likes

Ok this is all good feedback, I appreciate that! I’ll go ahead and rework him. I also read the how to and I understand it far better now lol. I apologize for not seeing that sooner. Any other advice for this type of thing since I’m new?

3 Likes