Dreamspace - Signups and OOC

Those are problems, but they’re symptoms and not the cause.

Confusing, potentially false advertising, I believe to have stated.

The issue I brought forth was the lack of clarity as to the vision for this project and its execution. I brought objection to the plot hook, not the plot itself, due to vague and potentially misleading expectations. The mishandling of goals, the creation of a cursed problem.

I don’t know what you want to sell me and it seems you don’t either. But your business partner does and, quite frankly, I wouldn’t have even given it the joking chance without him. And something tells me this would have been abandoned entirely by now (if it even started), if not by you then certainly the players, where it not for Ghid. There’s little evidence that suggests you want to be here.

So tell me,

why is that? Which curse did you make? I already gave you potentially two of them. Misalignment of player and character was the first I told, conflict with the larger purpose was the second.

If the mystery is only a player motivation, then what is the characters? If the mystery is only a character motivation, then what of the player? Are both to have the same general motivation? No, then what is it? From a gameplay perspective, there is no clear or obvious reason to participate. Lack of clarity.

But that can also stems from the larger cursed issue. Traditionally speaking, post-based RPs are collaborative fiction, unlike most other RPGs. However, despite being in the written form, it’s still not a writing project, it’s a game. Like I said, we’re being asked to help write parts for a larger work. But we’re given no information, no direction, nothing for which to help write. A mystery story where only the head writer knows what’s going on, what needs to happen, but said writer refuses to actively participate and just gives vague homework.

Do you want a game or a publishable work? You cannot do both.

You can salvage a game into a publishable narrative. Or get a bunch of people together to write one book, comic, etc. taking different parts, perspectives, functions, whatever. You cannot create a collaborative work when no one knows what’s going on, what’s their part, or what they should do. We need information, everyone actively in the writing room, bouncing ideas off each other.

Even purpose conflict, in and out of game, aside, do you want to be here? If you do, you certainly don’t want to deal with the managing portion of the game. As I said in the first post, “Perhaps this statement was to say that GM involvement was to be minimal.” Character driven or not, the world shown so far requires heavy GM involvement. This isn’t DnD with nice little segments, only needing your attention for a few hours, maybe some prep or review here and there. It’s constant, sporadic responses, it needs more attention. At the very least, consistent amounts of attention.

Potential steps towards solution: Reassess. State a clear mission goal in one sentence. Look at materials created and rank how they support or conflict with that goal. And how those materials are being used to incentivize your other collaborators into helping achieve that goal.

In essence, convince me of what you want and are hoping to get out of this. Though in the meantime, Ghid’s post is a decent break fix for the immediate things plaguing the game/activity. It won’t fix the code on the backend, but at least it will make the interface nicer.

Ask and you shall receive.

3 Likes

Entirely unrelated, but I just realized I’ve been capitalizing the A in ajtazt this entire time and it’s not written like that. It’s never been written like that.

I promise that I can read.

2 Likes

Entirely related but in my 784 word post I spelled Ghid four different ways and all of them were incorrect. I did not just realize this and it was entirely intentional

I promise that I can spell correctly. “I just choose not to.” -G2 Kopaka

Yeah, sorry about that :stuck_out_tongue:. I’m not meaning to make it seem like I’m joining the “gang up on aJTaZT” bandwagon; I just really like to debate certain things, and projects that involve writing, especially one I’m involved in, is definitely going to be one of those things.

And yeah, I agree with this. As I see it, all of what’s happened so far is comparable to a pilot episode of a series: it’s meant to set up the characters and how they interact, while the plot comes once the door is opened.

Side note: it might seem like I’m pushing for the plot, since I had Sue continue up the stairs in my last post after seeing Basil’s wound; and yeah, I kinda am, but Sue’s written as someone who’s not good with people, so helping an injured child is way out of her element in any case. I don’t mind if there’s minimal focus on her and Jung until the rest of the party catches up; better, in my opinion, than her being involved in a situation she’ll probably just make worse.

4 Likes

“Bully!
A challenge!
I love competition!
Now where will I mount this stuffed head of a Winston?”-- Theodore Roosevelt, ERB

Nah, I just added the POV thing as a joke, because of how much response it got. I love a good scrap regardless of how many come to bat. Trust me, I was born in the fires of old internet flamewars, it’s a nostalgic fun.

2 Likes

7 Likes

The next time someone in a game I’m in doesn’t post I’m going to make something like this and send it to them.

6 Likes

i’ll have to get back to you on that tomorrow

3 Likes

So it’s been fifteen days since a Winger rp post, and if there isn’t one by the end of the week I’m just gonna describe the doors everyone’s waiting for so people have something to do. It’s been really long with no input.

Too long with no input.

6 Likes

UPDATE:

I’ve been given the reigns temporarily by Winger as well as a detailed description of the next set of events and how to proceed. I’ll be running things here until he has the time to dedicate to this again.

I’ll also be taking any questions about details in case anyone needs some pointers for how to move things along. Believe me, I want to get out of this stairway building as badly as you do.

Forgot to cover this, but the publishable work (webcomic) is entirely my own initiative. And even then, it’s a maybe at best. This is first and foremost a boards rp with heavy focus on characterization/character interaction, and any other ideas of followup media are 100% secondary.

As for lack of clarity, I will do my best to provide that here, so feel free to ask. I’ll be extremely limited with what I can and can’t answer as per Winger’s wishes, however, but I will clarify what I have the option to.

And finally, @Eilrach I would highly recommend you repost your signup sheet so it can be reviewed one more time before I give you the greenlight to be introduced. Winger’s already given it his blessing, but I am a grumpy old man with a weighted cane, and all within a three foot radius of me fear my voracity for character design and my unwillingness to scroll up more than three mouse wheel turns.

Sorry that this took so long, but hopefully this sort of hiccough won’t happen again.

5 Likes

And, um, one thing to note: there’s zero drama or falling out or animosity between me and Ghid. He’s not like, taking over forcefully, or anything. I’ve just gotten very suddenly really, really busy, and creativity/writing/GMing require energy and thought that I suddenly don’t have a lot of.

At risk of sounding like an empty promise, I’ll do my best to respond to the discussion from before break tonight or tomorrow evening. Questions are also welcome, though maybe not direct enlightened discussion, if you know what I mean.

5 Likes

That’s right, now paypal me the three grand

That’s the difference between you and me, shadow the hedgehog
I don’t think when I creatively write

no wait I mean I’m really good at it and smart and um I uh

2 Likes

I’ve got 1 week more of my final exams so expect that in a couple day/s

4 Likes

Quick question, which door is he opening? One of the many on each floor or the final one at the floor Malaco is on?

EDIT: You’ve quoted Malaco finding the two doors on the second floor and Malaco finding the sole door on the third floor. Which one is Jung inspecting?

2 Likes

The one on the third floor. Forgot to specify about that sorry

2 Likes

jung: walks through door

malaco:

5 Likes

What’s this?
Is Kirathel alive and posting?
Are they talking in the third person again?

Yes to both. Merry Christmas.

3 Likes

Given the number of doors, I wouldn’t be surprised if there’s nothing behind them (or only one or two somethings). If there’s nothing to find, Sue will just go through each one.

(figured I’d go ahead and say that so we don’t have a dozen posts of “I open door #” “You find the same thing you saw in the last five.” That’s only if there’s nothing to note, of course; feel free to stop me whenever)

2 Likes

alive-dead
Posted in thing

3 Likes

Basil exhales through his leg (asmr)

no but seriously is this a series of typos or what is wind out of it

EDIT: and out of it ohhhhhhhhh me dum

5 Likes

I think I was between “wound” and “and”

3 Likes