Guards of Makuta - The Toa Hagah (Canon Contest #3: Honor Guard)

Hello everybody!
this is my entry in the long awaited Hagah Contest

I decided to make a 3-3 Toa team (3 Gold – Iruini-Bomonga-Kualus and 3 Silver – Norik-Gaaki-Pouks)

The reason behind that is, I did not want to paint any part of the mocs exept for the custom masks.

Every part of these renders exists in this color in the real world (exept the masks and the colored Rhotuka-Rotors of Bomonga and Gaaki – because they would be in marbeled colors)

Lets start with my favourite Bomonga:

Coverimage:

clean Coverimage:

Frontview:

Backview:

Left:

Right:

Breakdown:

Sizecomparison:

Link to the Mask: Mask of Division (Kanohi Weha) by Galva - Thingiverse

now to Pouks:

Coverimage:

clean Coverimage

Frontview:

Backview:

Left:

Right:

Breakdown:

Sizecomparison:

Link to the Mask: Mask of Intangibility by Galva - Thingiverse

Here is Kualus:

Coverimage:

clean Coverimage:

Frontview:

Backview:

Left:

Right:

Breakdown:

Sizecomparison:

Link to the Mask: Great Mask of Voidstepping (axle) (scoped) (R52H3C3JT) by Galva_bot

and finally Gaaki:

Coverimage:

clean Coverimage:

Frontview:

Backview:

Left:

Right:

Breakdown:

Sizecomparison:

Link to the Mask: Mask of Clairvoyance (Toa Hagah Gaaki) -Lovice Commission- by Galva - Thingiverse

I give consent for my mask to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: (Bomonga: No; Gaaki: Yes; Kualus: No; Pouks: No)
I give consent for my metallic color choice to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: (no)
I give consent for my spear tip to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: (Bomonga: No; Gaaki: No; Kualus: Yes; Pouks: Yes)

and of course because these are all render images, here are the links to the stud.io files: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1nbGOH7v8cdKtiBxhuBI6-xWUZbas3vUG?usp=sharing

i hope all the hard work put into this contest pays off and i wish good luck and fair play to all participants of this contest

most important: have fun!

https://board.ttvchannel.com/t/honor-guard-entry-list/59507

41 Likes

Not sure if such multicoloring is allowed

Kualus might not be accepted because of this but the rest are definately qualified

i don’t usually like it when people use mask/helmets as armor, but you get a pass. good job.

They all loo pretty good. They all have things that I’m not too keen on, but I don’t want to sound like a broken record. The mocs are presented very nicely, too.

Question: Where did you find those Knight’s Kingdom II pieces? I can’t find any parts packs that include them, or any 3d models of them

i did not find the swords either, so i made them by myself :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I see. Well, you did a really good job on them!

1 Like

Yo, nice mocs, man! I appreciate the efffort made to exclusively use FDG on the gold plated characters that exist irl. I don’t have an encyclopedic knowledge of every part, but am I right in thinking that these can all be built out of parts irl without paint, bar the mask of course?

Apart from the Black and DBlue rhotuka ofc, I don’t think those were ever made.

1 Like

I like these Models. Kualus looks a slight bit weird color wise (gold med blue black and white don’t really work in my eyes). But i like the rest.

1 Like

So long as their primary color matches their rahaga color it’s fine, afaik.

2 Likes

i tried my best to only use flat dark gold pieces for bomonga and kualus xD went through whole bricklink to get the right color informations ^^’

and yes they all should be buildable without painting (exept masks and the two rhotukas) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yo, nice job, man! I appreciate the effort you put in to achieve that. These are definitely going to be favorites of mine with that fact, especially with the FDG usage.

1 Like

That Bomonga has my vote!

1 Like

Not a big fan of Pouks’ Predator mask, but the rest of these look pretty nice! I especially like Bomonga’s shoulders!

1 Like

Even if you cover yourself in mud, he will still find you!

Nice builds. Kualus’ spear may be a bit too large, and I’m not a fan of the tubes on Gaaki, but they are neat and definitely could form a group. Good job.

4 Likes

These are actually very nice, especially Bomonga. I really like the use of Brain Attack helmets as pauldrons, They’re detailed, but not oversized.

1 Like

I like your take on Pouks but the only thing that bothers me is his staff.
I also like your Kualus where I do not have any complaints about the staff.

1 Like

By the way, what’s the piece in the center of Bomonga’s chest? I searched the number, and all I found was the cape from the buildable Darth Vader.

1 Like

its the diamond-piece (Part#: 35649) from “41196 - The Elvenstar Tree Bat Attack” :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey these are pretty good! Let me try to articulate my thoughts below.

Overall, the pauldrons are quite creative. They do sacrifice some uniformity to achieve this, but by no means is this a net-negative.

Gaaki is pretty dece. I think the best part is the tubing, it’s unique and a color that stands out.
I don’t love the Inika thigh guards on metru builds, but that’s pretty subjective. The Hordika armor is a risk, and it makes Gaaki look a little stocky. The color scheme is clean, and I like the paler blue Rhotuka. Is that sand-blue? I like the trident spear too.

Kualus has a lot going on color-wise, but I find myself liking the diversity and balance. The black legs don’t throw off the color scheme at all, I even like how they add a new color beyond light blue or white. The gold looks good on him, and I don’t think I’ve seen that mask design before. His build is somewhat generic, but also cohesive with Iruini. I like his spear weapon, I wish I knew what it was from.

Pouks is pretty intense! His mask looks stern and almost menacing. The Pahrak chest armor is a nice nod to his element, and the Duncan Bulk pauldrons also contribute to his rugged-ness. I am definitely on Team Silver Pouks, so I like that about him too. His spear is interesting. Maybe a bit too much so? But then I’m glad it’s not just a Rahkshi staff on a pole… I’ll have to think about that.

Bomonga is my favorite, hands down. I love any build that makes him look stocky without flipping his torso upside-down. The green chest-light is visually distinct and nice, and I like the Lhikan pauldrons. The sword-spear looks good, and need I even mention the Krana? I think his mask is a little too futuristic-looking, but that’s somewhat subjective. Regardless, I’d like something more standard for our honor-code following heroes.

I appreciate that you balanced their color schemes. Two are silver and two are gold. This is a good showing, and one that I’ll be interested in following through the contest.

1 Like