Help us decipher the Okotoan language!

Unfortunately, I think so too. I get that the new universe in full of mysteries, but do we need to know everything in the first year? I read somewhere that 2001 was a good starter year because it left you with questions to wonder about.

1 Like

2001 had the matoran/tohungan alphabet already.

But yeah, a great part of 2001 was the mystery.

4 Likes

Look at this picture.

I think the word on the Shrine could be three things:

• MASK
  • FIRE
  • TAHU (Unlikely, but possibly)

Just experimenting.

I discovered the Temple in this picture…

…is called the Temple of Creation!
Could that help with these mysterious runes?

6 Likes

Its been suspected for a while that the wording says ‘creation’ underneath Ekimu and ‘control’ under Makuta… though not sure if that would translate to the animation.

9 Likes

I don’t know if this has been mentioned yet, but there are only three word on the mask. The longest word on the prongs could be creation if that singular line is apart of one letter or is something else. The forehead words could be Ekimu but that would mean the prongs would be something else.

3 Likes

<khjkjhkjh

• looks *
  • sees three, maybe four symbols *

Ya know, if this is the case, and those inscriptions on the forehead (on either side of the central prong), say “Ekimu”, we could be looking at something completely different from the Matoran Alphabet of old.

Let me draw your attention to these.

The above images are charts detailing the hiragana and katakana character sets, the two primary “fonts” (for lack of a better term) in Japanese writing.

Each symbol makes a sound, similar enough to English, right?
Not exactly.
For example, these three katakana symbols ゴジラ, (when translated into romaji [writing the sounds of the characters in English letters], they form the word Gojira), translates into English as Godzilla.
Three symbols translate into an eight-letter-long word

All of that is a preface to my main point. That point being What if, unlike the Matoran Alphabet (where each character directly corresponded to an English letter), the written language of Okoto is something like the written language of (for example) Japan or China?

<jljlkjljk

* sits back, quite satisfied with his long, thought-out theory *

* looks at the pictures of the Temple of Creation and Golden Mask Pedestal *

* sees said theory blown to pieces *

9 Likes

If that’s the case, it is going to be much harder than everyone thought.
Hey, wait a minute!
Where did BIONICLE (2015) originally start showing up in the world?
Where was it first presented?
Maybe it is like the language of wherever it came from!
:open_mouth:

Maybe where LEGO was originally founded?
Denmark?
Or is it from where BIONICLE was based off of?
What was the Island of Mata Nui based off of?
New Zealand?
Polynesia?
Fiji?
:scream: - I’m going crazy!!!

8 Likes

In fact there are a total of 5 on his forehead. Reading it from the side there’s one upside down r with a square, one c shape, one long side wards r with a rectangle and small square, double line letter and the filled in e. It could be Ekimu or something else. If it is Ekimu the long sideways r must be an I.

3 Likes

Maybe we just aren’t meant to know…
:no_mouth:

:worried:

:disappointed_relieved:

:cry:

:sob:

…yet.
:joy:

But anyways, I happened to see more symbols on Ekimu’s tomb.

Could it translate to, “HERE LIES EKIMU, THE MASK MAKER”?

6 Likes

I discovered something about BIONICLE Episode 9.
When Lewa landed on a pillar and said, “Finding anything in this mess is…harder than finding a needle in a haystack.”, I wondered why they showed the pillar’s runes. Now I know. If you go to this link,

Then, skip forward to 17:35. It has the pillar. Now if you look closely, you will notice it has the exact same symbols as the symbols in this picture.

Specifically, the first row (far left, going down), and the second row (with the exception of a few mirrored symbols on the pillar).
Apparently, the pillar somehow points to where Ekimu is.

Perhaps LEGO will release the official BIONICLE Alphabet after all, since they reused the symbols from the picture above.
:stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

WOW! Maybe LEGO is just making random symbols and just reuse them. But maybe it’s some kind of foreshadowing…

3 Likes

DID ANYONE ACCUTALY DECODE IT
or did lego release anything regarding it

1 Like

No.

And no.

1 Like

Little late, I know, but found some more of the language in what appears to be old concept art for Bionicle; Legends Of Metru Nui

12 Likes

Very similar, aren’t they?
Maybe LEGO discarded the idea, but in the reboot, decided to use this form of rune symbols?
Hmm…

3 Likes

@BBC1Wholock1
Most likely the situation.

Alternatively this lends to a theory I’ve had recently that whenever Bionicle artwork is made that needs ruins they default to a basic set of ruins so artists can work on it quickly and make it look meaningful without actually being translatable. Whenever it needs to be something important they switch to the main translatable language. Which may unfortunately be the case with the Okotoan language.

3 Likes

(Me)–> :pensive: “Aw, maybe you’re-”

(“No! There MUST BE TRANSLATION SOON! Have HOPE!!”) :rage: <-- (My conscience).

:no_mouth:

:grinning: “He’s right, you know.”

GUYS!!!
I just noticed that on the letters of the new rebooted BIONICLE logo, there are Okotoan symbols! In fact, they happen to be the same symbols over and over again!
As far as I can tell, there are about 12 symbols on each of the letters.
Maybe they somehow translate to BIONICLE in Okotoan writing(two for each letter)?
(Note: You may need a magnifying glass to see the symbols on the letters on the box, or online.)

8 Likes

This is now old news but here is the translation as found in the 2015 book:

Just wanted to update this topic.

Also, I was watching a clip of Bionicle: mask of Light and I noticed there was okotian script on the pedestal of the mask of light. It’s not on this concept art, but it is on the final cut of the movie.

2 Likes

So I got bored and I started to look through some old guide books (particularly Makuta’s Guide to the Universe) when I came across this:

This is a screenshot that was put into the book (page 27 if you want to see for yourself) from Mask of Light the movie. It shows Takua reaching for the totem that holds the Avohkii. What is more interesting is the pedestal the totem is resting on. If you look closely the detailed markings on the side look a lot like this:

I think two things. One, the Okoto alphabet that is being used now may have at once been a prototype to the matoran alphabet and was just put into the movie as an Easter egg. I think that if it was a prototype for the matoran alphabet, they did not use it in G1 because Lego may have thought it was too complex, and instead simplified it down to circles (which were eventually hexagons) and lines. It may be used now because Lego might feel that they could give it a try… maybe?
My second thought is that Lego is aware of this and is using the symbols that were on the pedestal as the new alphabet because they want another way to tie the G2 story with the G1 story. This isn’t outlandish because we have seen the Vahi make an appearance already (see G2 Kanohi Vahi Topic: TtvPodcast.com is for sale | HugeDomains ) so why not this?

Anyways, those are just my thoughts. What are yours?

This is really interesting but i think it’s

but it could be a connected.
Oh guys.
G2 and G1 connect. two plus one equals 3.
Half life three confirmed

6 Likes