How Do I Make Multi-Coloured Custom Parts In Stud.io?

First things first, I’m aware of the various marbling colourpacks, but that’s not what I’m looking to do.

I’ve noticed that some parts in stud.io, both Custom and Master, come with a precoloured section, such as the Hordika tools or Hero Factory 1.0 weapons:

These colours remain even in the PartDesigner tool:

My first guess was that the coloured section was perhaps just a large decal, but stud.io won’t put decals on curved or overly-detailed parts.

How can I save a file with colour such that it will still have colour when I import it into stud.io? Is there a special file type than I am unaware of? I have currently figured out how to save my coloured part as a GLB file, but I can’t figure out how to convert it into a format that stud.io will accept while still maintaining the colour.

7 Likes

This might help.

5 Likes

Good shout Senit.
Yeah though, the best way is to seperate the part into multiple parts in a 3d modeling program like blender then turn them into connecting parts in parts designer.

2 Likes

Yeah that helped.

The important parts were splitting the part into two objects, and saving them as LDraw parts from stud.io itself, rather than as .obj files in the Part Designer.

Here’s my simplified procedure, for anyone else who has the same question:

1. Save your part as a 3d object
  2. Split the part into multiple objects as you would like the colours to be split. This can be done in Blender, though I used Solidworks
  3. Whatever part(s) you want to be coloured, import them into stud.io as normal, with PartDesigner
  4. Open the custom part in stud.io and colour it as desired
  5. Export the coloured part from stud.io as an LDraw part. The custom stud.io part can now be deleted, if desired.
  6. In PartDesigner, import the coloured LDraw part, as well as the uncoloured “base”
  7. Arrange the parts so that they line up, and export it all as a new custom part

With this procedure, the uncoloured “base” can still be coloured in stud.io, while whichever parts went through the LDraw procedure will remain their assigned colour.

3 Likes

This was immensely helpful, thank you!

2 Likes

Over the last 2+ years, I’ve worked out a slightly more efficient way to colour the parts. Instead of exporting a part, colouring it, and putting it back into PartDesigner, there’s a way to export the entire part right from the start and then colour it after.

Split the part into sections and align them in PartDesigner as described above, and export the part. Then, open the .dat file.

There will be many rows of data, each with either a 16 or a 24 in the second column. Each row represents a point in the part, and the second column represents the colour of that point. 16 is the colour code for “CurrentColor”; it just matches whatever colour you assign the part in stud.io. 24 is the colour code for the colour of the edges of the part. To permanently assign a colour to a point, you just need to change the colour code to match the colour code of your desired colour, which can be found in the StudioColorDefinition.txt file.

Of course, there’s no clear way to know what row corresponds to which point, so you’ll have to do a bit of guessing: the rows should be broken up into sections: a big chunk of rows with the colour code 16, followed by a chunk of rows with the colour code 24, and then the pattern repeats. Each pair of chunks (a 16 chunk and a 24 chunk) corresponds to one of the split sections of the part, in the order that you added them to PartDesigner. Just use the Find+Replace feature in your text editor to replace the “16” colour codes of the desired chunk with the code from the colour definition file, then save the .dat file and close it.

3 Likes

Thanks, but I’m horrible with computers so I think I’ll just stick to the first method since I at least know how to do it :smile:

Although speaking of which, I ran into a problem where photorealistic rendering won’t work with some of the custom parts I’ve made- you wouldn’t know how to fix this, would you?

2 Likes