Humans/Organics in Hero Factory?

I know that in the theme’s early commercials (as well as the Hero Factory FM podcast, humans are shown as existing within the universe of Hero Factory, and have sent in emergency (and sometimes phony) calls from Planet Earth, with the reason that they don’t show up in the TV series being that most of the storyline simply takes place far out in space, away from Earth (similar to Guardians of the Galaxy from the MARVEL Universe).
That being said, whilst Earth’s existence is canon in HF, have we canonically seen any evidence of the existence of humans, humanoids, or any organic sapient lifeforms anywhere in the main storyline (novels/comics/shows) of the theme itself on the alien worlds the characters have been to?

I think @Mesonak did commentary on a play-through of the Makuhero City/Core Hunter level of the Breakout videogame one time, and the other commentator in the video, when seeing that there were no NPCs in the level, save for the enemies, was wondering where all the humans in the city were; but have we ever been given any evidence that any non-robots live in Makuhero City? Back when the theme was running, I for one personally just assumed that robots were the city’s only inhabitants, (which would explain why they have the living conditions of those regarded as a living race of sapient beings (as we’ve seen in movies like Robots and Cars) rather than being treated as appliances (like in Star Wars or I, Robot)). I assume that the Brains from Brain Attack, as well as the creatures they possessed, were (at least partly) organic, but they seem to fall more under the “animal” category, rather than the “sapient being” one (same for the ones from Savage Planet).
Besides just humans, what about organic sapient aliens? Have they ever popped-up in the books, comics, or shows?
Thanks in advance to any and all who have an answer to this.:+1:

6 Likes

No humans were in the books. There were some comments about organic life I think, but I can’t find them. I often got the impression that intelligent organic life has been gone extinct in the HF world. For example, why would a robot draw on cave walls in Invasion from below to warn about queen beast?

Edit: Nevermind, savage planet was a thing after all.

4 Likes

In Breakout, Toxic Reapers species hatches from an egg. He’s definitely sapient, so I think that qualifies for what you are looking for.

6 Likes

Animals show up that are organic and at least toxic reapa is organic, plus isn’t splitface supposed to be half-organic?

3 Likes

In one of the books, the heroes react with disgust at the discovery that the brains are organic. I’d say that suggests fully organic life is uncommon.

@Krelikan @Nogus101 no, toxic Reapa is confirmed to be a robot in the books.

3 Likes

Proof of Von Nebula attacking a lawnmower

1 Like

@Racie02 I reviewed the episode and it’s actually a cocoon. I don’t know if that makes much a difference though. Why would his species need a caocoon if they aren’t organic?

Also, are we using typical definitions for organic? Because if that’s the case, the heroes themselves might qualify.

1 Like

The heroes might qualify as organic? I wouldn’t think so. They seem to be entirely robotic, made of metal and wire instead of nerves and bone.

2 Likes

This might be some help. There was an official mission where a Hero Team went to earth. Apparently there is also a race of sentient ants?

2 Likes

Luckily things like flesh and bones aren’t really a part of the qualifications of organic matter. It just has to be alive. When I looked into it more, it didn’t seem like heroes could be considered organic, but I think with the knowledge I have, you could make a strong case for Toxic Reapa’s species.

1 Like

Yeah, “flesh and bone” was meant as synecdoche; I didn’t think that I literally needed to define that organic life as we know it is based around various types of carbon-based chemical structures, whereas the heroes in Hero Factory are presumably made from iron, copper, steel, and various alloys. Robots are very, very far away from being “alive” in any modern conception of the term, and are very certainly not organic.

2 Likes

The reason I thought they could be considered “alive” is because of their quaza core. They have personalities and are able to learn and interact in very human ways. There are other things that disqualify them as living things though.

1 Like

What you’re describing would be known as sentience, the ability to perceive or feel things around you, or as it’s more colloquially used referring to the ability to have intelligent thought on a human-like level. As far as we can tell, the characters in Hero Factory are sentient - they perceive and interact with what’s around them, and they have emotions and personalities like humans.

However, this is distinct from being organic, which is the question of the topic. Being organic means that you have carbon-based chemistry and an overall biological function, which the heroes do not.

4 Likes

It’s probably the definition of organic that’s messing me up then. The one I was using goes as follows “relating to or derived from living matter”

The issue is that we don’t have an exact definition of what it means to be alive. So using terms like “living matter” aren’t going to be very clear. Making the distinction between organic and non-organic matter is more clear cut.

Yes, to clear up any etymological-type obscure debates, for my question, I am defining organic life as flesh-and-bone-bodied beings, and inorganic life as beings that were grown with DDT beings who possess the sentience of organic life, but have bodies made of circuits and machinery.:+1:
Even though the Quaza Cores are said to be what makes the heroes living, sentient beings rather than just bipedal appliances, the Cores do not, in the definition I am using for this question, make the heroes count as organics; rather, in the definition I am using, Quaza Cores basically count as Cybertronian Sparks.
Also, in this definition, beings whose anatomies are part organic life, part inorganic life, will be referred to as cyborgs.

5 Likes

I mean, the question was never about whether they were “alive”, it was about organic beings.

And this is a very useful distinction, thank you.

2 Likes

I know. I was trying to clear things up a little for Krelikan.

1 Like

Oh, right. My bad. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Actually, it kind of was, at least for me. The definition of organic I was using referred to anything alive as being organic.