[joshdem] BIONICLE Upscale Series: The Toa Hagah

“Clad in armor forged from precious metals, and wielding both Toa Tools and Rhotuka Launchers, they were the elite.”
— Turaga Vakama, Origin of the Rahaga

The Toa Hagah
Disclaimer: This is the last entry in my Upscale Toa Team series, not my Entry into TTV’s BIONICLE G1 Contest #3: Honor Guard. My actual entry into the TTV contest can be found at the link below:

check it out, and consider supporting me once the polls go up!

Toa Norik

Toa Bomonga

Toa Gaaki

Toa Iruini

Toa Kualus

Toa Pouks

The Toa Hagah with Jodem
Creator’s Commentary
Much of my design philosophy for the Toa Hagah can also be found in my TTV post for my contest entry. Some quick design notes summary :

• Different Legs to Symbolize different original Toa Teams and Homelands
  • Toa Bomonga has the same chest armor as Toa Norik because they have the roles of deputy and leader respectively.
  • My Revamp of all the Toa Hagah all have Knights Kingdom Shoulder Armor as I believe the Toa Metru Shoulder Armor and Toa Nuva Shoulder Armor should stay exclusive to the Toa Teams from which they originate.
  • The chest armor represents the Matoran Species: Matoran (Metrutoran Chest), Bohrok (Gahlok-Kal Shield), and Toa (Inika Shoulder Armor).
  • The Spear Tips play into the “greatest hits” concept by selecting from weapons of BIONICLE 2002-2008, the era in the Matoran Universe prior to the story’s migration to Bara Magna. Toa Norik and Toa Bomonga’s spear tips are those of Toa Gali Nuva and Toa Kopaka Nuva respectively (2002).Because Toa Norik does not have Toa Tahu Nuva’s Magma Sword, I designed it so that Toa Bomonga does not have Toa Onua Nuva’s Quake Breakers. I also eliminated Toa Tahu Nuva’s Magma Sword and Toa Gali Nuva’s Aqua Axe to avoid conflicting with Toa Norik’s spear. Toa Kopaka Nuva’s Ice Blade ultimately was the best choice for Bomonga’s Seismic Spear.
  • Additionally the Chronicler’s Staff in Toa Iruni’s Cyclone Spear and the Earthshock Drill in Toa Kualus Sub-Zero Spear both debuted in 2004 in the Toa Lhikan & Kikanalo and Toa Whenua sets respectively. (The Chronicler’s staff had previously been packaged with BIONICLE: The Game, but was formally sold to the public in a BIONICLE Set until 2004.) These spear tips also both made an appearance with the Voyatoran in 2006 (Garan and Velika).
  • Lastly, the Twin Propeller in Toa Gaaki’s Tidal Spear and the Poisonous Fang in Toa Pouk’s Avalanche Spear both debuted in 2008 in Phantoka Toa Pohatu Nuva and Makuta Krika / Jetrax T6 respectively.
  • Regarding eye color, I designed it so that each member of the Toa Hagah has a different eye color than the Toa of the corresponding member on the Toa Metru (and my Toa Mahri Revamp if you’re at all familiar with them).

Toa Norik- Dark Blue vs Toa Vakama- Light Green vs Toa Jaller- Light Green

Toa Bomonga- Light Blue vs Toa Whenua- Dark Green vs Toa Nuparu- Dark Red

Toa Gaaki- Light Green vs Toa Nokama- Light Orange vs Toa Hahli- Dark Blue

Toa Iruini- Light Orange vs Toa Matau- Dark Red vs Toa Kongu- Dark Green

Toa Kualus- Dark Green vs Toa Nuju- Light Blue vs Toa Matoro- Light Blue

Toa Pouks- Dark Red vs Toa Onewa- Dark Blue vs Toa Hewkii- Light Orange

So there you have it you have some of the “best of” and “greatest hits” of BIONICLE with the Spear Tips: 2002-2004-2006-2008

Custom Kanohi of course by Galva About Galva - Thingiverse

14 Likes

Nice but why is bomonga blue? Or atleast why does he look like he is?

1 Like

They’re pretty good. My favorite’s probably Norik.

2 Likes

It’s just the lighting / filter from editing the photos. His color scheme is indeed Black / Gold as he should be as a Toa of Earth.

2 Likes

Ah ok just the lighting. Yeah but he still looks cool even with the weird lighting.

Yeah makes sense.

My order in most favorite to least is Bomonga, Iruini, Norik, Gaaki, Pouks, Kualus

But it’s all pretty arbitrary for me to have favorites as I’m really happy as how they all came together as a team- I am extremely pleased with each member of the team. They really scale well with Inika-scale figures and my other MOCs; the patterns and design choices I made tie them together quite well I would say.

1 Like

I am loving your upscale series, and this is no exception.

But are you going to edit them when the contest is done?

1 Like

Whether I will edit them will be very dependent on the outcome of the contest, and if I am satisfied with such outcome (though the hope/dream/goal is for my entries to win lol). For example, I was one of those members in the community who would have preferred KhingK’s Mask of Creation on Artakha as WCP intended; thusly, on my own version of Artakha, I plan on using KhingK’s Kanohi.
I think really at the end of the day that’s the beauty of BIONICLE: you can create your own canon and your own stories.
That being said, I will be open to altering these if I do like the outcome of the contest; I’ll particularly be most open to changing Kanohi / armor color if it ends up working out for the better.

1 Like

don’t know why it didn’t notify me
looks good as usual, though

1 Like