Koro Culture in G3

Introduction

I’ve been tossing around some ideas in a few posts here and there, inspired by @Oomatu’s concept art alongside other pitches and in a sort of unison to other people’s pitches. one fellow fan who’s pitch i commented on, @Jakura_Nuva, suggested that I compile some them into one post. so to start things off, I’m pulling together some cultural and ideological inspirations from the real world and the Mnog games to develop a rich world that pays tribute too as well as expands upon the island of whatever it’s going to be as well as pull together some semblance of a world beyond the toa and their quests. I believe that one of the largest draws that kept me coming back to bionicle wasn’t so much the toa and their epic, but the idea that there was a world of everyday life that whlie not as large a scale was inspiring in the every day life and the struggles every different region had to face.

Onu-koro

Influences: Aztec agriculture/industrial colonies
The Lush Maw
a focus on destiny to create prosperity as a part of their duty, but in being so widespread and urgent, forgo the unity they would otherwise hold.

to onu-denizens manifest destiny, prosperity, is everything-their duty,- but who you ask a will give you a very un-unified answer. They may seem simplistic, overly friendly and optimistic, but they have their reasons. Long ago, onu-koro was an agricultural hotspot unlike any other, but a few bad seasons can be enough for some people to want to go find destiny themselves, leading to engineers flocking to ta-koro, miners tunneling out to le-Wahi to make mining colonies, and ranchers to take their flocks north to the edge of the deserts of po-wahi. Their wisdom arose from realizing misunderstandings, their care born of longing and loss, and their idealism is a desperate wish for better days, before the droughts and floods.

Onu-Denizens:

• Turaga Whenua
    The leader of Onu-koro and it’s agricultural district, Whenua was heartbroken when his people left, believing he had failed them in some way. In realizing that he had mismanaged his resources, failing to recognize the ebb and flow of prosparity, Whenua vowed to rework agriculture to meet surpluses year after year so that when his scattered people were ready to return, they would never have to endure the hardship that drove them away. with this wisdom he commonly tells his followers: “agriculture is the foundation for growth into prosperity.”

• Taipu
    The leader of the Mining colonies that left Onu-koro for the resource rich soil below Le-koro and a miner himself, no onu-matoran has even an ounce of the tenacity Taipu holds. When his men tire and the day wears on, he commands them to sit back and recover before showing his exceptional strength and endurance, doing enough work for ten matoran. This in turn inspires those who rest to pick themselves up and join in, not in despiration, but in joy, reminding them of their creed: “resource is the limiting factor of prosperity.”

• Nuparu
    The leader of the engineer’s guild, Nuparu collected the brightest minds from the failing village and led them in a trek to Ta-koro. Nuparu wasn’t all that great at the hard work demanded by the other leaders and preferred to develop new technologies to expand the capabilities of matoran. The hospitality of ta-koro was conditional in only that Nuparu would personally design defenses for their castle and outposts, securing their home from any perceived threats. This of course was child’s play to nuparu. ta-koro became enamored with the onu-matoran’s ingenuity and doubtless contributions, and Nuparu only replies: “To bridge the gap between what we possess, what we need, and what can be sustained is how technology creates prosperity.”

• Midak
    The defacto leader of the Ranchers community that fled onu-koro for po-wahi’s grassy outskirts, Midak never really meant to start a movement-he was just sick of dealing with crops. taking his ussal crabs and his straw hat, Midak was one of the first to walk out of onu-koro, never to return. As if by some inspiration, others who were fed up with the poor harvests threw down their tools on the spot, packed up their belongings and rode out with him. Midak was sad that his actions had played a part in breaking down onu-koro’s strength, but at that point, there was no turning back. nowadays he stands as one of the most successful ussal ranchers, discovering that ussal crab thrive in grassy plains alongside milk providing mahi, where they can graze on grass, such that he developed a use system for the common resource to ensure its sustainability. in leaving onu-koro, Midak came to a realization: “We cant just rely on only one source for our prosperity.”

• Onepu
    Whenua’s right hand matoran, Onepu felt the same pain as his brothers left their homes in search of their destiny. That day, something changed within Onepu: it was no longer enough that he was a guard and captain of the ussalry, he had to help rebuild the lost agriculture. Through hard work with his development of ussal plows he helped whenua’s wishes come to fruition by combining costs to create efficiency. often, he notes: “we have to combine our work forces to make the most of what little we have, for the sake of prosperity.”

Le-koro

Influences: Greek philosophers/Atlantean(see Disney) adventurers
The Sky Jungle
a focus on their Unity to strengthen their faith as a part of their destiny but in doing so put off their duty in favor of their own amusement and pleasure

le-denizens are considered to be most lazy, untamed and dependent, but whether this is their fault is questionable. Long ago, le-koro was a ground-bound place of worship, sharing their destiny to bring unity to people through faith. Somewhere along they way, a catastrophe ripped their village from the ground up into the sky on floating isles, leaving them isolated from the rest of the world. But in spite of that, they banded together, building bridges to reunite, and rebuilding their homes with what they had as though they were destined to be together, eventually losing track of obligations and duty. They lose track of time because they lived for so long without urgency, they act so different because they were separated for so long, and they are deeply caring because they want to reconnect with the world they thought they lost.

Le-Denizens:

• Turaga Matau
    The leader of Le-koro, Matau takes solace in the idea that no matter how far apart they may be, song can bring people closer. When the isles ascended, Matau took his rock-saw inhand and went about singing and cutting what marble he could find on the main isle as he repaired the main temple as a shining white beacon of hope for all matoran who found themselves stranded. When he heard of the efforts his matoran went through to reconnect the isles and create a way back to the island, Matau asked that the matoran be brought to meet him, but the matoran refused. matau realized that this matoran’s faith in his people was strong, saying: "it is his faith in our unity as a people that drove our young friend to achieve his destiny, so I thank him and let him live his life as he desires.

• Kongu
    the ace of the gukko force and one of the only to help Tamaru’s efforts to connect the floating isles. kongu brings a love of adventure and a passion for helping others as he daringly leaps between islands and floating shards. During Tamaru’s efforts, Kongu noticed that occasionally, the poor matoran would stop working and just sit down to stare at an isle that was too far away, waiting days and pitching a tent in anticipation of a moment it would drift close enough to pin a bridge to. recognizing the sheer audacity and determination his friend brought, Kongu walked up to tamaru, grabbed the end of the bridge and made a mad leap to the small island as it drifted into kongu’s comfort zone. Tamaru was startled by the daring leap, asking why he had risked his life. Kongu only replied: “If someone can’t do it themselves, its up to me as a friend to have faith in myself enough help them out!”

• Tamaru
    Ever since Le-koro took to the sky, Tamaru felt sick-he hated being up so high, where the wind was wild and overpowering. for the longest time, He stayed indoors… many years later, when he came out, he brought with him a number of contraptions: Rope bridges to tie the floating isles together, securing harnesses, pitons, and clamps and his famous pulley elevator. while most of his fellow le-matoran laughed at him, he grit his teeth and faced his fears. he nervously scaled the sides of every floating isle and built bridges between Every Single One. and when he finished that, he wasn’t done. he returned to his house and broke in his own floor to reveal a hole that pierced his island, hooking up his pulley elevator and descended down to the forrest again to build a new home not far from the onu-matoran mining colony. his elevator system was then utilized by the le-matoran to return to the forrests below to find and tame gukko birds and bring them back up. when asked why he felt so compelled to take on this project he had but one thing to say: “I love my people, but…I…HATE…Heights.” he vows to never go up again if he has to, but keeps in regular contact through Kongu and Orkahm.

• Orkahm
    Originally a skeptic of Tamaru’s endeavors, Orkahm scoffed at the matoran’s crazy idea as a waste of time. however as chance had it, Orkahm soon became stranded on his home isle, adrift in the sky. he was scared and alone, and his food was beginning to run low. then he saw it in the distance on an island, a tent pitched with the crazy Madman tamaru trying to figure out how to get over, singing assurances and wishes for safety. when suddenly, Kongu lept acorss the large gap, carried by a breeze and planted the pitons into Orkahm’s front steps. orkahm didn’t care that his steps were ruined, he was overjoyed and relieved, embracing and thanking his new friends, vowing to repay them someday, and surely enough, he trained and transported gukko birds as the Captain of the gukko force, pioneering the gukko trade transport and guard. when asked why he felt obliged to serve, he responded: “sometimes, you don’t know how much you need company until you’re stranded, scared and alone, so I ride the skies to give my friends faith that everything will be alright!”

Ko-koro

Influences: Viking hunters/Tibetan monks
The Daunting Precipice
a focus on Duty as a part of their destiny but as a result, forsake their unity for independence and individual enlightenment.

ko-denizens were not always the peaceful people. They were rash, barbaric and hardened in their proud taking to overachieve their duty as though it were their destiny. But after years of this not working, they changed their ways not for reasons of unity, but survival and tolerance. Initially, a ko-matoran may appear cold-shouldered, dismissively self centered, and irrationally lone wolf, but they have come a long way. Their peace is from a place of co-existence, their self discovery is impeccable and their independence gives them strength matched only by the ta-matoran.

Ko-Denizens:

• Nuju
    Later to come

• Matoro
    Later to come

• Kopeke
    Later to come

• Pakastaa
    Later to come

• ** Kantai**
    Somewhere Deep in the ever present storms of the drifts, a Kantai Built his home atop a frozen lake. Many thought him mad, but every year, he would return to ko-koro and drop only the largest, and somehow, the most delicious fish that any ko-koroan had ever seen, asking for stupidly low prices per pound, he would beat out the competition for that day entirely before leaving back to his home to fish another year. most attempted to find him in the drifts, only a handful succeeded. those who did find him were able to catch delicious fish from the lake as well as catch better fish from the ocean, but none were as large as Kantai’s. and so, each year, Ko-koro would hold it’s only festival: the Kantai festival, wherein the greatest fishers competed with each other to be second or equal to Kantai, who would merely say: “I am but a fisherman with a will.”

Ta-koro

Influences: European crusaders/protective samurai
The Scortched Heart
a focus on duty as a unifying obligation, denying the option to seek out one’s true destiny should it be something else aside from the military might.

brash and rude, short fused, and insane, many people are baffled by how the ta-denizens even survive with their backs against a volcano, and without constant in-fighting nonetheless. Their secret? They see their duty as that to each other in a way that unifies them, even if that stifles the fires of destiny, everyone needs to contribute everything they’ve got and help each other rise from the ashes. Their banter is how they form connections, their passion toward each other raises their emotions, and to be honest, you sorta have to have guts to live in a volcano.

Ta-Denizens

• Turaga Vakama
    Later to come

• Jaller
    later to come

• “TA-KUUUUU-AAAAA!”
    Later to come

• Kapura
    Later to come

• Nuhrii
    Later to come

Ga-koro

Influence: Chinese farmers/Malaysian fishers
The Tidal Canyon
focus on destiny as a unified aspect of themselves, to the point that they wouldn’t be able to do their individual duties as they rely too heavily on each other as a whole.

when they first settled, ga-denizens were devastated by the erratic nature of their costal canyon. Everything was bound to be washed away, and no possessions could be relied upon. At least until they found salvation in each other-by uniting and working together, and as if by destiny, they not only found ways of recovering after high and low tide, but a way of survival anchored to community even if they can do little of their duty on their own. Are they emotionally pushy, unconcerned with ownership, and fake-like? Perhaps, but to them, they need to deal with problems to clear the air, take nothing they have for granted and try to put their disagreements aside for the sake of the whole.

Ga-Denizens:

• Turaga Nokama
    The elder of Ga-koro, Nokama leads her people with patience and understanding, as one must when the environment dictates their destinies be proximal to the well-being of all. later to come.

• macku
    Later to come

• Hahli
    Later to come

• Kotu
    Later to come

• Nixie
    Later to come

Po-koro

Influences: Persian Empire/Bedouin Nomads
The Barren Expanse
focus on unity as a duty to each other, flying in the face of the futile destiny of the desert to swallow their creation whole, choosing to fight for what they choose.

to some, po-denizens seem bullheaded, stingy, and overbearing, but this isn’t without reason. When everything seems destined to be swallowed by the sands at a moment’s notice, you tend to band together in unity, held by your duty to each other and often, fly in the face of that futility brought by destiny. When you get down to it, their stubbornness is based loyalty, their frugality is born from scarcity and their loud, talkative nature is their way of bonding as when huddled indoors from a sandstorm.

Po-Denizens:

• Onewa

• Hewkii

• “Another Hafu Original!”

• Ahkmou

10 Likes

Those are very different things, I’m far more for Persian influence personally.

1 Like

Awesome! I’m a fan of almost all these ideas.

@Payinku would persian empire with bedouin nomad fit better?

@Jakura_Nuva Thanks! if you have any differing opinions let me know, it’s ever-evolving and I intend to update/edit it every now and then.

be sure to quote things when you point them out to act as a sort of self contained changelog.

2 Likes

Of course, jokes aside I think a good majority of the influential cultures, some work perfectly (Ko-koro and Le-Koro). I’d be interested to see how European and Japanese cultures could be combined in Ta-Koro and The ideas of Malay fishers for Ga-Koro although perhaps some other sea-faring cultures could be added to this, Malaysia definitely has many.

1 Like

I Needed to go finish studying for my finals and I still had a lot of characters to go through, so sleep deprived me decided to entertain myself with memes.

Thanks!
ko-koro definitely has a lot of changes to it’s cultural structure by bringing in the emotionally intense theme of viking and then having the tibetan influence blanketed over top to placate the violence and I’m always a little nervous to see how its received by people.
As for le-koro, I needed a reason for Le-matoran to be societally divergent and at the same time infinitely intrigued by everything in the world. but then it hit me that with oomatu’s art, along with other concepts I forget, the floating isles really didn’t have all that much in the ways of transport besides gukko, so the gears turned: “what if they didn’t always have gukko birds and what if the floating isles weren’t always floating as though they were a much less tribal people?” and thus atlantian/grecian influences came to mind along with the different interpretations of le-koro.

I actually have a great idea for how this works out and it has to do a lot with Kapura, I just need to actually find time to develop it alongside all the other things I’m doing. functionally samurai from japan and knights in europe act funcionally the same as feudal cultures, so it really isn’t that much of a stretch in political and class structure, but more differentiated in terms of stylistic and visual representations.

yeah, I’ve actually been considering dropping malaysia for a New Zealand Maori islander theme to make a more interesting blend with the Chinese rice/fishing village part and perhaps give them an even stronger sea-faring culture influence to match up against ko-koro and tie them to the roots of the templar games MnOlG influences.

I’d love to hear what you think about all this as well as anything else. I think I put the most time into le and onu koro as seen by the characters expanded upon, and I’ll likely keep updating through next month.

Perhaps Ko-Koro can have warrior monks, with a more protect others standpoint making them highly defensive against everyone else and also give them this mystery as they rarely let others in their villages. Le-Koro, yeah thats still cool.

The feudal system is pretty similar to Knights, I’m primarily interested in what ideals they’d have in terms of protection and how aggressive they would be, I guess we’ll see what happens with Kapura.

Maori seems more in line with the concepts of Ga-Koro than Chinese or Malaysian farmers and the sea-faring aspect is much more interesting to the audiences.