Lariska, Dark Huntress

Some of you might know that I built a Lariska MOC back in 2016 (will post below again, too). In late 2019 I took that apart with plans to build a new Lariska. Then suddenly as I was trying things out the contests became a thing in spring 2020. I held on to my MOC, figuring I’d post it for the contest, but seeing the slow progression, I’ve now decided otherwise. Old MOCs are allowed for the contests, and maybe I can tweak the design a bit until then if I can get some interesting parts or have some more ideas. Just seeing this gathering dust for no good reason seemed a bit like a waste.

That said - time for more pictures:

Of course, seeing how this is Lariska, the MOC needed to be very poseable - and can actually be balanced only on the mechancial arm.

Size-wise, I went for “small titan” to have room for custom designs. At the same time, I of course wanted to not make her enormous. As someone who imagined Lariska as a “not-Vortixx” for the longest time, and seeing how almost every species is taller than a Toa, I think the height fits. Especially since the lore can be read in a number of ways. Greg’s writing implies to me that Lariska is neither too much taller than a Skakdi nor too much shorter than Brutaka, the way she interacts with other characters. Feats of strength like catching and carrying Spiriah indicate at least a certain scale to me as well, as does Brutaka’s introduction of her to the rest of the team, and TSO’s remark in Tiem Trap. Though of course tehse things can be read differently. SInce Greg’s statement that she’s the size of a Toa in context of the quote is readable as “same size category”, I also see this MOC within canon bounds. Though I should point out that this is also specifically Inika scale, seeing how we saw Lariska with her mechanical arm only ever with TSO before Inika scale, while I aimed for FoF Lariska - hence also the large daggers supposed to be her protosteel ones.

And now of course I need to adress the head:

As said, for the longest time I imagined Lariska as a “not-Vortixx”, so I based the design off of a Vahki head at its core:

With a bit of trial and error I then ended up with this design I actually quite like. The horn thingies add a nice unique look to it - and since they’re poseable can actually be used in a limited way to convey expressions, which for a Bionicle MOC is certainly nothing you see too often:

A building tutorial for the head (allowed to be used for the contests) you can also find here.

Another special thing you might have noticed are the poseable feet, which have articulated toes and an articulated middle part.
Otherwise poseability-wise, as you can see above, a minimum of 90° in every relevant direction in every limb is possible.

And here the promised comparison between 2016 Lariska and 2021 Lariska:

I believe that’s everything for the moment.

Hope you enjoy and as usual C&C appreciated!

51 Likes

I like the head.
Despite the fact that bright teal wouldn’t be a good color for a sneaky Dark Hunter, you managed to pull it off quite well. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Well, the teal was Greg’s choice. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Where is that from again?

WOW!!! :grinning: :wink: :wink: :wink: :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts:

To be honest, this MOC is the closest image I’ve ever seen of Lariska! !!
Color, proportion, Head-design, everything is amazing! NICE WORK! :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts:

@Rukah
I couldn’t make link to the Greg’s comment, so copied the her profile from BS01! :relaxed:

4 Likes

I cannot get enough of this. Well articulated and cohesive MOCs are hard to find sometimes, and ones that are executed this well?

That head design with the articulated eyebrows is fantastic, but I wonder if it’d be more streamline with only one of the B1 droid arms.

Anyways, I would vote for this in a heartbeat.

yikes…

3 Likes

I guess this an unpopular opinion, but I quite like your old Lariska. It wasn’t perfect, but still pretty good imo.

This one is also really cool, though. She looks very solid, and the head is unique, distinct, and well built. Good luck!

My biggest gripe is that she seems to be considerably taller than a toa (canonically, she’s toa sized).

5 Likes

well I guess I’m forced to use teal now :stuck_out_tongue:

Maybe the rules will allow for green and/or blue since teal construction pieces are sort of rare (they make a lot of teal pieces now, but it’s mostly system)?

5 Likes

Yeah maybe

1 Like

She doesn’t just seem to be taller than an Inika scale Toa, she is :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: .

But I wrote down my reasoning for that up above.

ah, sorry, sometimes I skim over text :sweat_smile:

Your reasoning makes sense, and I hope that your entry will still be accepted into the contest.

5 Likes

Either way, I wouldn’t say it’s too much taller than a Toa.

1 Like

ye

Plus, toa scaling is already inconsistent anyway, with the mata, metru, and inika builds (and possibly even titan, if 2008 takanuva is considered a toa)

2 Likes

I’d also say most people call Rahkshi Toa-sized, for example, when they’re also quite a bit taller.

I actually did some research for sizes (all adpated to Inika scale):

Left to right:
Front row: Matoran, Turaga, Skakdi, Toa, Nocturn, Krekka, Rahkshi
Back row: Brutaka, Vortixx, Sidorak, TSO, Gladiator, Botar.

My Lariska would be comparable to a Rahlshi in height, though is taller by virtue of Rahkshi necks being angled foward, not upwards.

4 Likes

I really like the overall apperance of this moc, Although the head looks well made and is a neat design as always. A personal prefrence mine would be a face that can actually wear different masks, while being unique enough to stand on its own.

Either way good work on this model, recreating such an iconic character

1 Like

One could modify the snout here somewhat to allow for attaching at least some axle connector masks, though it will probably look awful.

2 Likes

I really like the Moc overall, the dark tones even on the robotic arm is great and the smooth black parts work well.

My only gripe is the head. I know you are proud of it and it is a cool head but to me it doesn’t suit Lariska. Nidhiki sees Roodaka’s face as being strange so if Lariska had a remotely similar face would he not call it strange as well? Idk just my thoughts, the antlers are certainly a very good idea.

4 Likes

Gilahu once again putting out a banger MOC.

2 Likes

One could argue that Vortixx heads are far more flat and elongated in appearance while with this head here we have something resembling a head with proportions as if wearing a mask.

And of course who says Nidhiki doesn’t consider Lariska’s face strange as well :stuck_out_tongue: . To a Toa everyone not wearing a Kanohi might have a strange face.

4 Likes