Lariska Ideas discussion (canon contest)

What was wrong with this one? Seem a Lariska to me.

not enough teal, chief

here’s the design I have so far, I might replace the lower legs with something else so they look less out of place.

Capture2

2 Likes

Imo CCBS should be more widely accepted for these contests.

5 Likes

I saw a MOC that used ccbs for Lariska’s mechanical arm, to make it stand out more from the rest of her technic g1 body.

Thought it was a pretty cool idea.

4 Likes

Whoops, I fixed it.

Here’s the MOC that I was talking about, btw

Not when working with a character that fits into a specific era, that should fit with other characters built in this same era.
And before you say muh Piraka - I always hated them for that. Maybe that’s one of the reasons they never fit in and had to leave the Dark Hunters, lol

While I see what you’re going for, I think this has more to do with build style than the actual parts used.

We are all aware that quite a few Dark Hunters have… less than cohesive colour schemes and builds. If a builder really wants Lariska to fit in with the official Dark Hunter models, I think they need to focus more on matching that “thrown-together” look, rather than worrying about what year a part was made in.

The parts definitely have an effect as well, but I think you could get the same effect out of any G1 parts, not just those from 2004-2006. Again, the important thing is the build style, not the year of the parts.

3 Likes

Fair enough, but modern builders can do both. Some of the smaller pieces can of course be post-2006 but the thing is that a MOC can still adhere (in the biggest of lines) to the aesthetic without using things like Glatorian shells or CCBS pieces or even an Inika torso.
I am not necessarily arguing that all pieces should be from that era, I am saying that the silhouette and the appearance should not be breaking the mold that much.

The thing is, there is no consistency between the canon Dark Hunter models. Minion looks very different from Shadow Stealer who looks very different from Lurker who looks very different from Subterranean who looks very different from Gladiator who looks very different from Tracker and so on. Most of them where just lazely thrown together using whatever pieces were available at the time.

And please, this whole “no CCBS in muh bonkle” mentality, can we stop with this crap, if G1 continued past 2010 it would start using CCBS no matter what, so treating the usage of these pieces in G1 mocs as some kind of heresy is just plain stupid. I for one always imagined Lariska with a smoother outer armor, for two reasons: 1. it wouldn’t really make sense for an agile character like her to be covered with greebles and random blades from head to toe like other Dark Hunters, and 2. it would make the mechanical arm stand out more.

Of course I’m not saying she should not resemble any “G1 aesthetic” model, but adhering to the usage of only or mostly pre-2006 parts is something I won’t agree with.

And we already have one model that aimed for certain era’s aesthetic - Double’s Helryx moc. And it looks like utter crap. The winning Artakha moc, which doesn’t shy away from using various post-Bionicle pieces, is a much better model in my opinion, and I hope Lariska will follow his example (as well as any other character in these contests for that matter).

6 Likes

But they have one aesthetic, it is difficult to argue with that. Lariska should follow that aesthetic.

Smooth outer armor can be achieved using pre-2006 pieces as well, look at Roodaka for example. If anything, using CCBS will make her look even greeblier and dysfunctional.

I keep hearing people bashing the Dark Hunter models, but frankly when you look at both the pieces available at the time + the relative newness of constraction as a Lego genre most of them are at least of equal quality to the sets (keep in mind that Krekka was one of the only two Dark Hunter sets in existence at that point, for reference) and a good number are even better.

There’s only a few that makes some really questionable design choices.

I fully agree that there’s not really a design aesthetic tying them together though - and that’s the way it should be, for a criminal organisation with members from across the known universe.

2 Likes

???

3 Likes

No matter how much you try and cover them up, regular CCBS shells will always stand out as a sore thumb next to regular G1 pieces.
There are a few exceptions in some of the Uniter pieces but on average they look terrible. A MOC that has a technic skeleton and is fully covered in CCBS? Yes please, give me two.
MOCs that combine G1 and G2 pieces, making a messy, unsightly MOC that doesn’t really fit into either category? Thanks, but no, thanks.
I prefer the Helryx MOC over the Ekimu exactly because of this. Is it not the best MOC? Yes. But at least it is coherent.

That’s not what greebly means, also wrong. You can use CCBS on a G1 moc and give the whole model a sleek, coherent look. It’s all about distributing the smooth and greebly textures evenly. If you can’t do that and all the CCBS pieces on your moc stand out, well, maybe you just suck at moccing.

That’s subjective, and I’d argue with that, but you seem to have some weird bias against CCBS for god knows what reason, it’s not really worth my time.

Just because you can’t combine these two systems to make a coherent look doesn’t mean it’s impossible, or that every attempt ends in a messy result. As I said, it’s all about even distribution of smooth and detailed textures, and it isn’t even that hard to do so.

I’ve done that plenty of times.

There are others that have done that much better than me, but by no means it’s impossible. It’s all about understanding the textures and how to distribute them on a model. CCBS excels when combined with G1 building system. But yeah sure, we can ignore that and just seethe at the mere mention of it.

That explains a lot actually.

I’m not saying Lariska (or any other model for that matter) should avoid aiming for the “G1 aesthetic”, but we shouldn’t outright discourage people from using newer pieces from other building systems, especially if they can improve the moc’s look.

7 Likes

And there’s the consistency.

3 Likes

@CMO what about metru shoulders?

@Voxovan I wish ccbs had been introduced sooner for the glatorian since they are primarily organic

Edited for Double Post - BioKnight

Also let’s keep in mind CHILDREN made these. They weren’t lazy to the children, they thought they were awesome and proud of them. Just as today, people moc to different standards. I’ve also seen the issue within this community where people have moved towards an anti-gap mentality as if that reflects skill. A moc having gaps or no gaps, or pins, or ball/open sockets-does not reflect skill if the person who created it genuinely had no issue with that. Many don’t, such as myself. It adds to the overall mechanical feel.

8 Likes

Personally haven’t seen it that much (if at all), but I’ll fully admit that I’m not really in the MOCing scene at all. If it’s done particularly… evocatively, then yes, I would have issue with it, although evocative is of course one of those things that differs with personal taste.

Hmmm seeing as people are kinda divided about what aesthetic is right I’ll throw in my two cents. Making Lariska look like she’s was made in 2005/6 is not 100% necessary, Lariska didn’t get a build back then and thus we have a unique opportunity (just like the rest of these contests) to give her a unique appearance.

Obviously we don’t want the build to be jarringly different from G1- eg one of those 80% ccbs 15% system 5% actual bonkle things. But instead a build that is up to the standards that building has reached and that can feel at home alongside builds like conners Artakha-which IMO is the perfect blend of aesthetics-it uses some new pieces and some system but overall uses good old bionicle.

I’ll just emphasise again that these contests are a very unique opportunity to bring to life some characters in a way that will do them justice.

6 Likes