Lariska Ideas discussion (canon contest)

I keep hearing people bashing the Dark Hunter models, but frankly when you look at both the pieces available at the time + the relative newness of constraction as a Lego genre most of them are at least of equal quality to the sets (keep in mind that Krekka was one of the only two Dark Hunter sets in existence at that point, for reference) and a good number are even better.

There’s only a few that makes some really questionable design choices.

I fully agree that there’s not really a design aesthetic tying them together though - and that’s the way it should be, for a criminal organisation with members from across the known universe.

2 Likes

???

3 Likes

No matter how much you try and cover them up, regular CCBS shells will always stand out as a sore thumb next to regular G1 pieces.
There are a few exceptions in some of the Uniter pieces but on average they look terrible. A MOC that has a technic skeleton and is fully covered in CCBS? Yes please, give me two.
MOCs that combine G1 and G2 pieces, making a messy, unsightly MOC that doesn’t really fit into either category? Thanks, but no, thanks.
I prefer the Helryx MOC over the Ekimu exactly because of this. Is it not the best MOC? Yes. But at least it is coherent.

That’s not what greebly means, also wrong. You can use CCBS on a G1 moc and give the whole model a sleek, coherent look. It’s all about distributing the smooth and greebly textures evenly. If you can’t do that and all the CCBS pieces on your moc stand out, well, maybe you just suck at moccing.

That’s subjective, and I’d argue with that, but you seem to have some weird bias against CCBS for god knows what reason, it’s not really worth my time.

Just because you can’t combine these two systems to make a coherent look doesn’t mean it’s impossible, or that every attempt ends in a messy result. As I said, it’s all about even distribution of smooth and detailed textures, and it isn’t even that hard to do so.

I’ve done that plenty of times.

There are others that have done that much better than me, but by no means it’s impossible. It’s all about understanding the textures and how to distribute them on a model. CCBS excels when combined with G1 building system. But yeah sure, we can ignore that and just seethe at the mere mention of it.

That explains a lot actually.

I’m not saying Lariska (or any other model for that matter) should avoid aiming for the “G1 aesthetic”, but we shouldn’t outright discourage people from using newer pieces from other building systems, especially if they can improve the moc’s look.

7 Likes

And there’s the consistency.

3 Likes

@CMO what about metru shoulders?

@Voxovan I wish ccbs had been introduced sooner for the glatorian since they are primarily organic

Edited for Double Post - BioKnight

Also let’s keep in mind CHILDREN made these. They weren’t lazy to the children, they thought they were awesome and proud of them. Just as today, people moc to different standards. I’ve also seen the issue within this community where people have moved towards an anti-gap mentality as if that reflects skill. A moc having gaps or no gaps, or pins, or ball/open sockets-does not reflect skill if the person who created it genuinely had no issue with that. Many don’t, such as myself. It adds to the overall mechanical feel.

8 Likes

Personally haven’t seen it that much (if at all), but I’ll fully admit that I’m not really in the MOCing scene at all. If it’s done particularly… evocatively, then yes, I would have issue with it, although evocative is of course one of those things that differs with personal taste.

Hmmm seeing as people are kinda divided about what aesthetic is right I’ll throw in my two cents. Making Lariska look like she’s was made in 2005/6 is not 100% necessary, Lariska didn’t get a build back then and thus we have a unique opportunity (just like the rest of these contests) to give her a unique appearance.

Obviously we don’t want the build to be jarringly different from G1- eg one of those 80% ccbs 15% system 5% actual bonkle things. But instead a build that is up to the standards that building has reached and that can feel at home alongside builds like conners Artakha-which IMO is the perfect blend of aesthetics-it uses some new pieces and some system but overall uses good old bionicle.

I’ll just emphasise again that these contests are a very unique opportunity to bring to life some characters in a way that will do them justice.

6 Likes

Thats the thing, a lot of people believe that making them look like something that wouldn’t of looked like a Bionicle in the day ISN’T doing them justice.

3 Likes

Very good point. I’m not quite sure how to reason against that thinking. I guess it comes down to that the contests aren’t about making Mocs so we can pretend we got them back in the day but instead are about making Mocs that are ‘cool’ and ‘fun’ and that reflect the Spirit of the Bionicle community now.

Fortunately Teal is mainly used in old parts and thus any winner is likely to fit the old aesthetic to a degree if it has those slizer and technic pieces.

2 Likes

And thats again, some people don’t want it to look like a modern moc. When it comes to the contrast of these two differing opinions you’re not really gonna convince the other because they’re fundamentally two different desires. I’d call them ‘purists’ and then the ‘new age’ tastes. Really its only resolvable by voting whichever fits what you want more.

2 Likes

Yes, but you can make them look like a Bionicle WITHOUT relying ONLY on pieces from a certain era.

2 Likes

So, one of the newly revealed sets has a bunch of teal, could be a boon to anyone seeking to make Lariksa

13 Likes

Thank you for that info! Those pieces should be very useful!

2 Likes

I take it all those decals are stickers rather than printing? It would be a pain to try to remove the latter.

3 Likes

I think they’re stickers, you can kindof see the edge.

I’ve been meaning to pick up some smaller technic sets for a while, maybe I’ll get this one.

1 Like

I want to do something completely unconventional with Lariska. Rather than make her Toa or vortixx-esque, I thought about taking inspiration from the Skirmishers from Halo Reach. Since she’s supposed to be fast and rarely stand still, a fast bird/raptor-like build could be fun, with many daggers stored as “feathers” on her body.

Unfortunately, I don’t have the parts or skill to do the idea justice, but it’s something creative and different. Last contest, people gave Artakha three arms and made him an aztec sun god, is a cyborg raptor-woman really that far-fetched?

13 Likes

Technic is always stickers, except for maybe some generic System prints like gauges and speedometers.

1 Like

Actually, on the topic of doing unconventional things with Lariska, I’ve been debating on whether or not to give her a tail. What do you guys think? Yeah or nah? Also, is there anything in her canon appearances that would straight up rule it out?