LEGO World Builder

I believe you mean Logical Chro :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

You know you’re old when you click this topic expecting to see this:

10 Likes

In the beginning, six beaches wash ashore on a hero…

Or: instead of robotic beings in a natural world, natural beings in a robotic world wait that’s Rebel Nature.

7 Likes

sounds like erosion to me

5 Likes

I’d like to see a new Constraction theme that isn’t Bionicle come out of this thing. Perhaps we could revisit some of the old, unused concepts, like Cybots, Dino Racers, or Hero Knights.

1 Like

I don’t know what themes I’d like, but I’d love to see something with a grungey lived-in aesthetic a la Rock Raiders (or maybe I just want RR back :stuck_out_tongue: )

2 Likes

Hmmm, seems like LEGO is just wanting ideas for cheap. Kinda cool though. I just want to see LEGO start making decent house sets-like like back in the day when creator had large (non modular!) houses and didn’t waste the piece count on minifigures etc. A space theme would be awesome as well…

3 Likes

And i think that may be a piece of it. They may not have the in-house talent anymore to do that sort of thing, so they’re turning outwards to try and find people who can.

1 Like

As the old saying goes, ideas are cheap. Though if we were to look at this as, say, a concept writer gig, then it’s not too far off. At least for the architect anyways, based on some Google searches. An average annual salary being around $45,000–$50,000 for a similar concept position, getting up to $37,500 if your idea goes into production for a fun side hobby seems like a fair deal.

Especially when compared to the Lego Ideas deal of 1% of set sales, it is roughly the same. You could make less than the $37,500 of World Builder or more depending on the set selling price and how many get sold.

3 Likes

$37,500 is still $8,500 below minimum average salary.
And that’s “getting up to”

My lego world has been on the front page of trending and “popular this week” all day! :smiley:

3 Likes

I mean, it’s not supposed to be a long-term job, it’s a one-time transaction for an untested IP or IP idea.

And I must stress, these numbers are a flat minimum, lego can and very well may offer more depending on the amount of content.

5 Likes

I wouldn’t say never, but I also have some other (non Bionicle) ideas I might want to do for this site. I think submitting Bionicle stuff there is definetely better then spamming LEGO or something like that. This is pretty much the official way to get a new theme or reimagining of an older theme, so this is the right place to do it.
But I don’t have anything in the works yet.

I think I’d be able to do that if I’d go for it. I’ve built a lot of “set-like” builds before, so I think I could pull it off

6 Likes

That was basically the entirety of his contribution to the brickonicle project. He’s a large part of why I got on board with the concept to begin with, and why I was so willing to support him in his lego ideas endeavour.

2 Likes

Let’s call Shadiversity to design it. It will be amazing.

That backfired horribly. At this point, after years of watching this community and the larger Lego community, I can say this: Lego doesn’t understand people.

I believe that this explains everything.

While I think this insight is on target, I also think that having some marketing knowledge is probably the best way to make money off the site. More specifically, kid’s marketing knowledge.

This document tells you what they will pay you to work on this site, and it’s pretty generous:

https://worldbuilder.tongal.com/about/world-guidelines

The best way to ensure that you get money out of the site would be to make contributions to as many worlds and projects as possible, with the idea that if one of the worlds gets picked, you would get at least some of the pie. It’s nice to be the architect, but the second mouse also gets some cheese.

With that logic, the fight above about Bionicle versus other themes is very funny in my opinion. This platform is different from Ideas in the fact that the more time you spend on the platform, the more likely you are to get paid anything. And the more worlds are posted, the more likely we’ll get cash.

So the more the merrier: the worlds aren’t competing with each other, whether Bionicle or other themes, and it’s better if we just make all of them and contribute to all of them.

And then, of course, as the number of contributors increase, thousands of people get paid pittances. :stuck_out_tongue:

However, the key is to work on worlds TLG will actually select, as opposed to wasting our time on worlds they won’t select. I don’t know what that secret sauce is. I’m not a marketing expert. I just know that if we post Bionicle worlds - the more the merrier - and contribute to them - it may be a good deal for EVERYONE involved.

Or, mech/Exo-force worlds. If you make an Exo-Force world, I might be able to contribute to it, make it better, and it gets noticed by TLG. Now we both get money.

However, probably very few things will actually get selected out of there…but Worlds is a collaboration, unlike Ideas which is a competition for attention. So viewing it as a competition is counterproductive.

I do think we should try to put together a world-building rig for G3 - in fact, we should give TLG several options to select from, and each of us contribute to all of options. This allows all of us to simply improve everything as time goes on. We have nothing to lose for making our stand, as it were. Let’s give it a try.

3 Likes

Here is my idea I’ll publish on Worldbuilder as soon as I’m finished with the first chapter.

Feedback is appreciated.

2 Likes

https://tongal.com/blog/articles/lego-acquires-first-fan-made-world-for-development-from-lego-world-builder

And Lego has chosen a victor.

4 Likes

I’m interested to see how this theme goes…

1 Like

That respetive entry was actually part of a creative prompt that LEGO themselves asked for… so it’s not surprising that it was the first world to be accepted. I do really wonder though how long it’s going to take for this theme to be created, and how exactly the line is going to be handled by LEGO themsleves. Is it going to just get a a single one-off set wave, or a fully fledged story-based theme?

2 Likes

Looks like we now have more information on that subject. See link for details.

LEGO Holiday Special Concept Art Project on Tongal.com

2 Likes