Molding Old Bionicle Pieces

NO, NOT THAT KIND OF MOLD!

Anyways, we can assume that the majority of T̶o̶h̶u̶n̶g̶a̶ Bionicle part molds have been buried under concrete or something due to being considered “obsolete”.

The only way to get more T̶o̶h̶u̶n̶g̶a̶ ̶p̶a̶r̶t̶s̶ old Bionicle parts is to buy them off the interwebs, at a thrift shop (if your lucky), or at a garage sale (if your lucky). How can you possibly assure your continued collection of 01 masks without the hassle of communicating with someone on Bricklink or forking over an unnecessarily large amount of money on Ebay?

Duplication.

If you’ve had any experiences with molding T̶o̶h̶u̶n̶g̶a̶ Bionicle pieces in the past comment in this topic.

What was the method you used?
Did any pieces break?
etc…

How about his one?

21 Likes

Unlimited masks would be good…

12 Likes

molding a part is simple, casting one is where it gets tricky. What kind of material to use, resin is easily available, but won’t have the proper tolerances.

Ideally you’d use the same kind of plastic that Lego does. Which could be tricky, or you could buy lego parts in the proper colors and melt them down.

5 Likes

Do you know if the method shown in the video above would work?(excluding the bit where he combined the sheep and lego piece).

I might actually try molding some pieces at some point.maybe make a Mata Blue Hau or a red G2 Mask of Ice

6 Likes

A G2 mask would be really interesting to see someone make.

5 Likes

I’ll have to take a look at it later.

I want to make Dagarak’s mask a solid piece now

That video was magical…
Seriously, that was very cool.

1 Like

I might try to do stuff this weekend. just need to find out how long it takes for Lego plastic to cool

1 Like

Sorry to pester you again, but do you think the method shown in the video will work?

That was painful to watch, he does a lot of things wrong, but all he’s really doing is making a silicon mold, and then making a resin cast. You can do it just fine, but it won’t be as durable as the real parts. You’ll need to be careful with them and the tolerances won’t be the same as a real piece. It won’t fit perfectly because resin doesn’t stretch the way plastic does.

Resin is more useful for things like model kits where you don’t have to worry about joints. If you really want to do this method, I can point you to a far better tutorial that will make it easier and give you better results.

8 Likes

That would definitely be appreciated!

2 Likes

Yes please!

1 Like

Here’s a tutorial by someone who does it far better, he also has another tutorial on using clear resin.

4 Likes

I foresee a future where there’s a thriving bootleg bionicle parts making community.
I like this future, and am excited to be a part of it!
Or at least buy from it!
Because we all know we would!

7 Likes

Do you know of a more durable material than resin? And a good tutorial for making duplicates with that material?

Past resin your best bet is to do it in actual plastic, of which I don’t know of any proper tutorials/

Someone already got to it before me.

9 Likes

Not quiiite up to Lego tolerances… But I guess how good can you get it…

2 Likes