Obi-wan Kenobi (show)

Either way, it’s a tired trope. The writers could definitely come up with a more creative and engaging premise for the next inevitable break-in / heist / prison break

ah the next cool-to-hate Star Wars set. I wonder how many of the people that trashed this will still buy it.
Obviously the build is a bore, but all the figures are exclusive and quite nice. It’s an easy pass for me, but I think people are maybe being a little too hard on it?

@Racie02

Oh it’s a hammer! I thought it was a light he was trying to blind the officer with.

@Stuubh

I think the hate is justified, this is a mostly redundant set imo. All of the figures except the droid have been done before in some form already so I don’t count them as exclusive.

The obi-Wan minifig looks a little off, I think I might just be used to the old Obi-wan Mcgregor minifig design, but it kinda looks like a younger obi-wan? Like, Obi-Wan from episode I?

Darth Vader looks a little goofy but it’s probably just the angle.

The droid is great, no complaints there

and the imperial officer – is that Tala, or just a random imperial? the face looks generic, I can’t tell.

Good minifigs, but overall kinda meh set.

I like how the set looks lol

2 Likes

The new Vader may be silly but he’s better than the old one. His collar is a separate piece so it opens up possibilities for new shenanigans.

Are those rotational plates? Maybe you turn that flywheel and they slash at each other? If there’s a gear function it might explain why the price is what it is, in conjunction with the SW name.

Still, kinda visually lackluster. Not worth $50 IMO, reminds me of the Dual for Mandalore set; just Maul, Ahsoka and a chair for $20.

Well, they can do what Mando did: walk out of the base in reflective metal armor and shoot ridiculous amounts of elite troopers before getting knocked out by being blown up by an Imperial commander who is the only guy who can harm the hero. Then come back with a mystical superweapon and beat up more people.
In reference to the posts about heist scenes in Star Wars.

1 Like

Literal plot armor has its advantages.

5 Likes

I like it, but it hasn’t done anything ground-breaking yet. I love the concept of the Inquisitors, but Grandy and Fifth Brother feel absolutely downgraded from their Rebels appearances, and the amount of competence they actually seem to have (save for Third Sister’s sporadic moments) almost feels akin to Dr. Doofenschmirtz on a good day.

Also, I’m not sure if Leia ever directly says she never knew who Obi-Wan was, she just speaks of what her father says about him. Perhaps she would have mentioned something about him saving her, but considering that she and old Obi-Wan never actually meet face-to-face in ANH, it’s not something I’ll get too picky about.

Oh, and it makes a more sense why Leia and Han named their son “Ben,” which I always found kind of weird for two people who never really knew him.

1 Like

The debates about this show reminds me of the Canon Contest debates, “Greg Farshtey never actually said __.”

6 Likes

it reminds me of the faber debates

2 Likes

Huh, this last episode actually changed some of my opinions…

For instance, I don’t dislike Reva as much… THOUGH SHE SHOULD BE DEAD

2 Likes

Ep. 5 was probably the most enjoyable, mostly just because of Vader. Seeing Reva get her a$$ handed to her was beyond satisfying.

My mind hasn’t been changed though, I still find the show mediocre cheap and pointless, but it’s still not awful.

2 Likes

Still one more episode to go but so far the could be better but it also could be a lot worse.

2 Likes

Honestly, I think this show has capped off my Star Wars burn out. Like, there’s really cool set-pieces and moments, but it’s disjointed at best and downright mediocre at worst.

I wanted to love it; Obi-wan is such a great character and post-Order 66 is such an interesting time. But things just happen for the sake of plot, and it feels like things are just happening to reach the episode quota for the season.

And OMG there’s just really bad stuff. Those Leia chase sequences? Terrible. Tala just straight up talking to Obi-wan through the comm in plain sight while there’s an imperial officer 5 feet away from her? Come on. Them escaping through the hanger, with the base on high alert, and they just… Stuff Leia under a cloak? Really??

Idk, it’s just… meh. And that’s what sucks, because it could’ve been amazing. Honestly, a lot of Disney’s recent Marvel and Star Wars shows as late have been feeling the same.

4 Likes

Definitely feeling this. I love them both, but they’re reaching a point that I really don’t want them to reach. Plus, anyone else notice that CGI in the latest Marvel stuff has been falling drastically?

I really just wish Disney would focus so much less on pumping out these films and shows and focus more on taking their time, use a bigger budget, a longer time table, make something worth putting pride in. I still am enjoying the shows and films right now, but I have this anticipation that it’ll not be that way soon.

2 Likes

Unfortunately this is not Disneys strategy for a subscription based service. If you make a bad movie, nobody buys it, but a bad show still gets attention, because each episode is a chance for improvement. In order to keep people subscribed, all they have to do is keep a constant supply of content, and quality isn’t going to matter unless people actually start to speak with their wallets.

It’s sad that new Star Wars content used to be a big deal. Even when people didn’t really like the movies, it was a big event you didn’t want to miss. Now people still feel the need to keep up to date, but all they’re getting is half baked. Looking at all the Star Wars shows they’ve announced for the future, I’m looking forward to maybe one and half of them.Unfortunately I see myself watching all the rest despite low enthusiasm. The scheme works, so there’s little reason for things to change.

1 Like

OOF definitely agree. On our podcast me and my co-host reacted to the She-hulk trailer and man there was some bad CG faces there. Even in Obi-wan, EP5; Why no de-aging for Anakin? Hayden is in his 40’s; if you have the budget to deep-fake Luke you can remove some wrinkles.

And that’s the sad truth of it. Disney will grind away any goodwill this IP has until it stops making money, which is upsetting. And you want to watch it because it has characters and worlds you’ve become invested in over the years- but it’s all just bait. Here’s some familiar faces from things Dave Filoni has worked on because fans want references from other shows and we’ll just cobble something together for a story. Thank you for the subscription.

Reminds me of the Bad Batch when they got a 45 year old Freddie Prince Jr. to voice a 14 year old

So uhh the final episode just happened
All I’m going to say is if pure OT fans still continue to say that “ANH Vader vs Obi battle is the best thing ever” are clearly lying lmao because the one in this episode was just insanely epic!

Overall I’m giving the whole season a 6.5/10
I believe it should’ve been a feature length film since 6 episodes were mainly filler with a handful of important scenes sandwiched together, but okay I won’t complain.
Seeing Hayden and Ewan go back to their old roles was nice.

I like that the ending left so many open doors for future stories in season 2, looking forward to it.

2 Likes