Official "Island of Lost Masks" Book Discussion Topic [SPOILERS]

this was most likely a typo by the author who accidentally wrote mask instead of face. either that or it means that when the skull spider has rid the villager from his mask and attatchs to his face then he is controlled

1 Like

Makes sense, considering that region is only unaffected one.

2 Likes

Why was Makuta a chapter title?

The other topic is literally a spoiler/discussion topic - it covers a lot of the stuff here already.

Already a topic for this @legomaster1378

===

Also, this book seems to be contradicting a massive amount of other information we’ve had such as the following;

The animations showed us the entire island before and after. Other than a hole blown into the region of stone, nothing else changed. The stone region was already a desert, the water region was already marshy. Ekimu beat Makuta and all the regions are shown to be exactly the same before, during and after.

The bios of the Skull Scorpion’s implied they were resurrected and controlled by Kulta - describing them as scouts. If they are wild creatures then why is the bio different?

I know this is in the book but it contradicts everything;

Kulta is Apparently under the influence or serving Makuta and Makuta wants to take over the world. I guess because everybody wants to rule the world. Either way, Makuta needs all 3 masks for this - so why would he want Grinder to destroy the Mask Of Creation? Also Grinder doesn’t destroy the Mask Of Creation when he has the chance and instead puts it on so that contradicts his own motivations

Having read that chapter, its because It ends with them revealing Makuta is out there somewhere and they need to stop him - leading into the 2016 storyline presumably

1 Like

It wasn’t. The word Makuta just appears to divide seperate paragraphs in a chapter. The chapters’ names are:

• The Heroes Arrive
  • Quest for the Golden Masks
  • Danger in the Shrines
  • The Mysterious City
  • Skull Slicer Strikes
  • Return of the Mask Maker

Also 6 chapters, 6 Toa. Coincidence, I think not.

1 Like

Iluumaaanootttiiieee confirmed.

Today was literally the worst day to ask me to do something on the Boards. :stuck_out_tongue:

Alrighty, here it goes…

Edited title -legomaster

2 Likes

I hate to be ‘one of those types of people’ but shouldn’t we have an official topic for all the upcoming books instead of just one? Just an idea to cut back the hassle. :innocent:

2 Likes

I’d agree with that, except this is the only one released so far.

2 Likes

Is it just me or does the chapter book seem like an extended version of the webisodes? Many of the quotes from the webisodes are in the book

So the book launches at midnight for Kindle, right?

1 Like

When I read the book I didn’t read about Tahu and Gali getting hold of their golden masks which was a minus in my opinion,and it was a bit short,of course it is normal since this is targeted towards younger ages and btw did my copy of the book had a mistake I didn’t read too much things about Tahu before he met with the heroes all I read was him and PoF jumping acrros a rock that had lava beneath,Tahu defeated some skull spiders they saw an entrance on the mountain (which was described by the author but I can’t remember it) PoF jumped on his back and said let’s g,thats all that I have read is there an error on my book it seemed too short for Tahu’s adventure.

Just wanted to give my thoughts on the book since I finished it:

Overall, this has really great character-building/world-building moments such as when Onua awkwardly asked Korgot if she was a female since the Protector mantle has been passed down to ‘father and son’, and when Lewa was making fun of Vizuna’s sensory ‘tail’ (he only has one tail here). The book also gave some info on what happened to Okoto when Ekimu knocked the MoUP off of Makuta’s face. And the fact that most of the island was a ‘Jungle/Water Region’; the great cataclysm turn the northern region into a wasteland, and caused the Fire Region to be formed.

But with all of that said, you could really start to notice that the author was trying to rush the ending. He/she could’ve at least gave some backstory on the Skull Villains and/or more info on Makuta since they were being controlled by him. And finally, I feel like the ending was worst part of it–since the Toa’s masks were were destroyed by Skull Grinder (Kulta doesn’t appear anywhere), Ekimu decides to make them new masks. The book doesn’t even bother with explain if Ekimu made entirely new golden masks, or if he just put the shards back together again (which really worries me the Toa will use the same exact masks in 2016).

5 Likes

@Scarilian Actually, the whole Kulta putting the mask on thing doesn’t contradict anything. He specifically says he puts it on in order to to kill the Toa and Ekimu. If he didn’t, they would have defeated him before the mask had been melted. After killing them he would have melted it anyway. Also, Makuta doesn’t need the Mask of Creation. He wanted it so that he could destroy it, in order to foil any rebellion against him. Makuta wants to take over the world because he has a big ego and hates that his brother is more loved. Then there’ the fact that “absolute power corrupts absolutely”.

Annnywaaayyy, from what the book says it seems that Ekimu goes from being extremely old and aged to being youthful again just because he built his hammer and glowy things happened to his body. That’s seriously what it all implies. This also means that the Ekimu set we get is youthful Ekimu in his prime sooo… :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

The rumors have been debunked weeks ago. :ghost: :santa:

Sorry, you’re just more active recently :stuck_out_tongue: Think some of the other staff are on holiday ><

That and the theory that Something evil is definitely lurking inside the mask given it seems to have a black essence coming from it at all times and the glowing red eyes

Chances are If he joins the toa on their quests like the summary of other books imply, that he may end up getting a new form at some point Though yeah, that’s a real silly reason for him to get youthful

Would be better waiting on that… summer is possible.

2 Likes

I really liked the book. I agree the ending seems a bit rushed. Maybe that was done on purpose so that the skull villains and events from the second half could be re-examined in the next book. Look at tales of the masks, the whole book was re-telling of how the toa got ahold of their masks. Im not saying it will be that in depth of a re-visit, but I think we will get some information on them as to their true origins or whatever. If you really look at G1, a lot of the “explanations” and what not all came way way later down the line. We still have a couple years to find everything out. We didn’t even know who mata nui really was until the 8th year of the line.

2 Likes

Going to post my thoughts on the book under spoiler tags:

I thoroughly enjoyed it. This book is exactly what we’ve needed from word-go, and it delivers in almost all the ways that I had hoped it would. It’s really a shame that it had to come out in August, though, but there’s no sense in beating that dead horse. What’s done is done.

I thought the first half of the book, honestly, was pretty exceptional and I have zero complaints. The second half, though…

Unlike the animations, when the Toa met each other it all started to go downhill and my three big problems began to manifest.

[spoiler]

• A lot of the dialogue is word-for-word from the animations, which feels odd and out of place considering that dialogue was crafted for animations that are a minute and a half long, and then adapted to a book that does have the ability to flesh out the dialogue more.
  • The Skull Villains, with the exception of Grinder and Scorpio to a degree, do not put up much of a fight and get dispatched pretty quickly. Basher, especially, was a great disappointment. He just stood there… and they charged… and took him down. Worst bouncer ever.
  • Finally, my biggest problem with the entire book would be the lack of explanation or elaboration regarding the Skull Villains. They just appear out of nowhere, and nothing’s ever said about where they came from! People were speculating pre-book that perhaps Kulta created them with the Mask of Creation, but that’s obviously not the case because he stole the mask from Ekimu pretty recently and was taking it to the Forge. I’d wager it was mere minutes before the Toa arrived in the Tomb. Additionally, the fact that they don’t have NAMES really bugs me. Like, for instance, Lewa says something along the lines of “He calls himself Skull Slicer.”[/spoiler]

WHAT?! How would Lewa know this? How would Skull Slicer know this? Is he able to talk? Does he have a brain or is he being controlled? Is he acting independently? Does he just go around monologuing to everybody he steals masks from?

It gets worse later on when Ekimu goes like “They call him… Skull Basher” and then I think he does it with Grinder too. WHO!!! WHO CALLS THEM THAT? WHEN/WHERE DID THEY COME FROM? HOW WOULD EKIMU KNOW WHO THEY ARE IF HE’S BEEN ASLEEP? WERE THEY ALWAYS ON OKOTO? WERE THEY ALWAYS SKELETONS? WHAT IS GOING OOOON

Other than that the book was solid. Second half, though, was way too rushed and annoying in a lot of areas.

-Mesonak

15 Likes

I aggre with you saying that the second half was rushed I felt that too,yet I do like the mystery of the Skull Villians I like how Skull Grinder said something like I am going to destroy you(or something like that) we didn’t get much info but I understood that Skull Grinder hated Ekimu and that gave me a sense of mystery other than that I agree with you.(Calling the Skull Villians by their names was a bit cheesy too :grin: in my opinion),on the other hand Ekimu knows things about them they may had something in the past. @Mesonak

2 Likes

@Mesonak While I completely agree, I also believe that we could learn this stuff later on down the road. The next book title alone gives me reason to think that the skull baddies stories will be revisited. The fact that all of the summer wave stuff seemed to happen within a very short window of time in the book would allow it to make sense for there to be less backstory given out immediately. Ekimu is pretty much like NO TIME TO EXPLAIN GOTTA GO REK THESE FOOLS. Maybe now after the toa have helped whooped em all, Ekmiu will (in the next book) explain what the heck they all are and where they came from, and maybe it will tie in to the skull spiders and their “revenge”.

3 Likes