Official RPG How-To Topic: Writing, GMing, and More (or Less)

Literally this.

Couldn’t have cut it any finer. I don’t mind DnD, I just don’t care for it whatsoever. I’m in it for the creativity and writing.

Heh, well in all honesty I haven’t touched DnD after I figured out how it operated. I doubt I’ll ever test it out because I really just don’t care for it.

2 Likes

It’s literally no different from how a lot of RPGs are written here, save for the rules on magic and combat and stuff, and that’s merely to make sure things make sense as a game. Otherwise it is inherently improv, and character writing and acting are a HUGE part of the experience. Acting, drama, etc. come down to the players, because that sorta thing doesn’t need rules in a book.

Edit for stupid autocorrect

1 Like

Uhm …

To be fair, what Ghid is postulating in this topic is significantly different from the level of codification in D&D.

1 Like

It is, but he’s being a bit silly if he’s just gonna knock an entire RPG system without actually trying it IMO. Especially when he says, “I’m in it for the creativity and the writing” when discussing why he doesn’t care for DnD. It is as if he is saying you cannot be creative with the system, which is wrong, solely because it has rules. Which is silly. And why I’m pointing out that even this topic, trying to help people with writing, also postulates common writing rules, which doesn’t inhibit creativity but rather allows it to flourish. It’s the same with RPG systems.

1 Like

well uh
don’t ask for my views on animation genres

Most DnD that I’ve ever seen has been entirely verbal, which doesn’t lend itself very easily to, y’know, writing. Yes text-based DnD exists, but even with recent events it still seems to be the secondary option. Maybe I’m wrong.

It’s also silly to imply Ghid hates rules because he’s a born rebel and during the time that this was being typed has already graffiti’d the entire west coast simply because Ghid dislikes the DnD system. It has rules, and the rules it has I do not like, which is why I do not like it.

Also, like, literally all of ajtazt’s post. I DO like his post this was just bad timing

Anyway I’m welcome to continuing this particular debate… elsewhere, as I don’t want to clutter this topic too badly. Sooner or later someone’s going to have a question and have to sift through this argument to see if it’s been asked before.

I suppose I misunderstood what you meant by “writing” then, because “writing” can also imply acting or how a story is conveyed through visual or verbal ways too. (Like with acting.) Now I understand why you dislike it.

That’s not what I said, or even remotely implied. I was thinking you disliked DnD because of how it restricts your creativity rather than just because of it having rules. That was how the message was being conveyed to me. (I need to word myself better in the future.)

Alright, I agree. 'Tis a silly debate.

1 Like

The next chapter is up! We Can’t Expect Godmodding To Do All The Work is the last chapter in The Basics. Next time we’ll begin to cover material more suited for those already writing and looking to improve their skills.

2 Likes

“Your master of the flail is called Flavius?”
“Yeah.”
“Sounds a lot like flail.”
“Maybe that’s why he became a master of the flail.”

I eat it.

6 Likes

really I should’ve seen this coming

2 Likes

Are you going to be doing one on the basics of storytelling?

1 Like

Honestly, it probably wouldn’t hurt to put one in there. I, of course, only ever write compelling narratives and works of art, as proven by my literature here on the boards which is always excellent please do not go and verify this claim just accept that I am right.

2 Likes

And uhm ahem uhm… :point_right: :point_left:

What about worldbuilding?

3 Likes

but of course.

3 Likes

I know I have written nothing to prove the following claim true but I would love to have swing at that and I believe I know a bit on the subject. :flushed: :speak_no_evil: :100: :gregf:

2 Likes

HEY!

DON’T STEAL MY THUNDER!

we could do like a collaboration if the almighty ghid permits hint hint cough cough ghid

1 Like

I offer no promises. Impress me or you’re out.

1 Like

And the next post is up! We begin The Next Level with To Fill A Paper, which I hope will be the final word on the topic of good writing. Direct any and all complaints to me so I can get laughed at for my grammar errors

Also feel free to directly reference or quote any of the topics here in your own RPs - or if there’s a glaring issue, let me know and I’ll pretend it doesn’t exist for three days before finally admitting it does and sulkily changing it.

2 Likes

I can die happy.

1 Like

This is perfect. Absolutely perfect. No edits needed.

1 Like

In the interest of actually finishing something I start for once, I’ve updated the main post of this topic and will try to put more effort into this in the near future. If you (the one reading this, don’t think I don’t see you :eye: :eye:) have any recommendations or notice something I missed in one of these, let me know.

5 Likes