Toa Hagah Canon Contest Format Feedback

Well, so long as at least half of the limbs and the chest are visible, it can be inferred what’s behind the shield.

2 Likes

Issue being to fit them all in a good shot, the shields would also be in danger of covering up parts of their teammates

3 Likes

guys I’ve spent so much time on this topic that I capitalized the M in mesophyll when I was writing my notes

4 Likes

reading through all this discussion about what defines a hagah got me like “a man is a featherless biped”

keep up the good work boys and in two days’ time i’ll bring the toa hagah equivalent of a plucked chicken so i may laugh upon you

12 Likes

“Behold, a man,” as the Greeks might say :wink:

4 Likes

I hate to bring up the Metru build debate again, but I think this is worth it.

With the Nak & Jay episode released (if you haven’t seen it yet, do that first before reading), and since my MOC was a large portion of the discussion, I want to offer my thoughts in a reply, mostly to @Eljay.

First, I’d like to thank you for saying that my Vakama MOC was well executed, I greatly appreciate it. Second, you are completely right that my MOC was entirely pointless. I built it in the fall of 2019, several months before the idea of canon contests was even being considered. At the time, I simply wanted to push my moccing abilities to see what I was capable of within strict limitations, nothing more. However, once the contests started, I later realized that my custom build can allow for slight modifications that are not entirely possible with the standard torso, especially new designs of chest armor for the Hagah. I went into more detail on my other post, so I won’t repeat myself. I would’ve rathered you use my Kualus, as it better gets my point across and can directly compare to Norik and Iruini.

2 Likes

Just finished reading it.
Awesome work, Meso, and a big thanks to you, @ElJay, and everybody who’s worked so extraordinarily hard and lost many a night of sleep in order to make these awesome contests possible.:+1:

1 Like

I do have one question about this contest do we really need design new masks I mean hear me out the characters master supposed to be based on masks from legendary heroes and are said look different from what they normally look like and if we were to design new masks that might just be a bucket of worms I mean we would have to figure out what is Newmaster supposed to be and what their powers are normally supposed to be does anyone really want to give Greg that must stuff to approve or any other character that’s fine but for this particular contest I mean we don’t have to do make a new masks but to make up for it we can say what they are spinners powers are

We don’t necessarily have to do this. They can just be new shapes with unknown powers. It’s not like that would be the first time a Kanohi is shrouded in mystery.

Besides, these contests are to determine the appearance of the Hagah. The power that matches their mask shape has nothing to do with their appearances. Neither do their spinner powers, for that matter.

(Not that I would complain if Greg was willing to canonize those, but I don’t think it’s a reasonable expectation to go beyond the original scope of the contests.)

Would a Hagah wear a mask in the shape of a Noble kanohi? I guess it doesn’t matter but it opens up having a Noble Kanohi shape on a Toa, which is also cool as is

Yes, with precedent: Norik’s Pehkui is shaped like a Noble Kiril.

2 Likes

Big durr moment. I should sleep

1 Like

I think you’ll be more of a love letter 2 g1 if we only use masks that were created in the original series and there is one question I had about the masks and this is only because of the nature of the tour team being Brotherhood bodyguards should the masks that are considered immoral just because of their association with the brotherhood be considered for use in the contest I’m just saying it wouldn’t put an interesting question if those masks would be considered in moral all the way back then

This has been brought up before, and it turns out that most of the Makuta Kanohi are immoral for reasons other than their association with the Makuta.

The only Kanohi that is avoided by Toa purely due to its Makuta association is the Shelek.

EDIT: and the Felnas

Four new designs. It’d be much better than “Gaaki with Hau”.

Read through the document you linked. I’m not going to vote on the poll yet, but here are my thoughts on a few things and where I’m leaning:

1. Defining “Metru build.” I’ve always considered a Metru build to be anything that uses a Metru torso as the base. I don’t think using the same waist piece is a necessary restriction.

2. Maintaining similarity to Iruini and Norik. Require the MOCs to be approximately the same height as Iruini and Norik, give or take a little, but otherwise let the community decide with their votes if a design is appropriate or not. Any excessive design deviations that make their way through can always be ironed out in the art portion of the contest anyway. Speaking of which,

3. Full-team art concerns. If artists draw the full team as a single entry, the problem of having to consider four Kanohi designs simultaneously arises. Having a contest for drawing the full team after Kanohi designs have been separately decided on would be better.

4. Art-only entry concerns. If either the Art-only or FFA route is taken, I think there should be some consideration taken to ensure that artwork still bears some resemblance to actual Bionicle pieces. I say this because after speaking with other members of the community, they pointed out that despite the very cool design of an art piece like Toa Nikila, only one MOC that strongly resembles her has ever been built (WhomesomeGadunka’s), and it required extensive painting. People want to be able to build something that resembles the art.

In conclusion, I think FFA is a good direction to go. As I said though, I have yet to vote, and only wanted to present my current thoughts and concerns.

1 Like

Well that was the fan consensus, we don’t have any words from Greg on whether or not a Hagah would not mind wearing a mask to represent a Makuta, as they’d be the most likely to be impartial to that. Either way, seems most people weren’t for it, so even if it is allowed then anyone who chooses to use those masks would probably be putting themselves at a disadvantage.
Personally, I feel like a Hagah would most likely not be opposed to it, as they are direct servants of Makuta anyways, so their perception is different from a standard Toa as is. We’d really need Greg to clarify for certain

Those were the two masks I was thinking of so I’m asking why not so that moc Builders can be equal let’s just use the 40 G one officially released mask pieces that makes sense from a story perspective so the ones I’m excluding are nuva mask Meteu that were already released for the two official hagah sets The masks of life light and shadows mostly because they’re one of a kind and I’m not sure if the big bad allowed anyone to use his mask even his own bodyguards The mask of life is interesting because I’m not sure if anyone really knew what it look like to honor the heroes who saved mata nui the first time and lastly the five brotherhood masks and the mask that makes zombies Because those are immoral

1 Like

Okay, I don’t like this.
Do they have to be consistent in their proportions and operation?

We know Pohatu and onua
We know they are Toa Mata(nuva) team, but their body usage is a little different from the other four.

I don’t like using Metru torso in the prescribed way.
I think this is biggest constraint.

To be honest, they just become another Metru team with one more layer of armor.

There can be many very similar MOCs.

and next?

Our hagah contest will become just a contest to dress Metru team in a few colors of armor, and to see who uploads faster.

1 Like

No, the waist would be allowed to be arranged that’s why I haven’t attatched any of the parts with axels or pins in that picture to illustrate that.

That is exactly what they are.

Been several really cool mocs shown through out this topic and on yesterdays Nak and Jay to prove you otherwise.