Sonic the hedgehog (film) - 2019

I didn’t even recognize him lol he is NOT mr popper or Truman anymore :joy:

Hey, Damien Dahrk!

Honestly, he and Carrey may be the only reasons I unironically want to see this movie, seeing how Tails hasn’t been revealed yet.

Goodness, I love that movie

me too

1 Like

https://twitter.com/fowltown/status/1124056098925944832

The movie is still gonna be average at best, but this is still a victory.

######Also, they gave him socks, that’s a victory for me as well.

5 Likes

Sigh.

This trailer is a mess. I’ve explained this before in other places, but yeah.

I really do not care for Jim Carrey as Robotnik/Eggman. He’s a solid actor, yes, but his typical comedy character is not compatible with this one at all. Obviously, I would’ve preferred if this film was animated in the first place because this is so clearly animated movie material, but if we really needed to do a live action Eggman, I would look no further than the man himself: Mike Pollock.

Not only does he have over 15 years of experience playing the character himself, but physically he’s not too far off either (better fit than Carrey anyway). All he needs is a shave and a mustache on this level or more.

However, I am aware that he’s not a physical actor, or a major film actor, and so that could dampen the chances of him accepting the role (or even being picked, annoyingly), and on top of that he’s getting old (he turned 54 this year): but. Consider Eggman’s physical role in most Sonic plots. The fighting is always a robot army or mech suit that he’s built, so that all he has to do is sit in a chair, twiddle some controls, and maybe flail around angrily as he’s losing. It’s basically the same as standing in the recording booth, and the physicality that actors bring to characters like Eggman would work perfectly well.

I am also aware that he does not have the public clout that Carrey has, but I believe that if you actually made a good movie in the first place that you wouldn’t need to rely on that to draw people in. I would need to think a little more on other alternatives, but Pollock would undoubtedly be my top pick.

Also, seeing Neal McDonough here is a pleasant surprise. Anyway.

Sonic is… I don’t even think I have to elaborate on him. Pretty much everyone before me has said anything I could possibly conceive on the subject. His design was an abominable mistake and I have no idea how anyone thought it was acceptable on any level. He looks good in one shot of the trailer.

It rapidly deteriorates from there.

The actor is also… fine. I don’t really have an opinion on it either way. It’s… meh. Sonic changing voice actors is far from abnormal at this point, he’s been going continuously for nearly 30 years. Would I have preferred one of the previous actors to do this one instead? Sure. But I’m not married to it I suppose. Roger Craig Smith isn’t really my Sonic anyway. :stuck_out_tongue:

And then the plot. The most cookie-cutter, derivative nonsense I’ve ever seen (I’m sure people have already played cliche bingo with this trailer like with the Emoji Movie). They may not have their hands on it anymore, but it still reeks of Sony’s total lack of touch with current audiences: this movie genuinely seems like it’s from 10 years ago, it’s so dated and average and… ehhhh. And I can only imagine the focus that our human protagonist is going to get.

Do this movie’s death a favour and pirate it if you’re going to watch it all. Do not waste money on this garbage.

3 Likes

Yeehaw

1 Like

######My conspiracy theory is that this was all a calculated decision, and that the design changes they’re going to make will actually end up being a reveal for a fully animated movie all along, and that everything we’ve seen up to this point was shooting for the fake trailer designed to stir up attention through Sonic’s bad reputation.

8 Likes

Just realised something.
If Sonic bombs
Paramount looses money.
And if Paramount looses money
We will not get another good Transformers movie.

2 Likes

Scrap.
We need to watch Sonic.

2 Likes

Eh. Given how unrelated the two properties are, I don’t think that’s likely. There’s already one or two promising TF films in progress. If Sonic bombs, the result will probably just be that there won’t be another one.

4 Likes

But is still bad!

Movie has been delayed to Valentine’s Day 2020 for the redesign!

https://twitter.com/fowltown/status/1131937685700980736?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1131937685700980736&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theverge.com%2F2019%2F5%2F24%2F18638637%2Fparamount-live-action-sonic-the-hedgehog-movie-delay-february-2020-cgi-fix

######He’s got gloves.

11 Likes
2 Likes

16 Likes
6 Likes

It looks worse.

oh that’s better… much better…

in a handsome little package.

They obviously are making a reference to the style change.

Now i am actually excited for this movie.

1 Like

I’m actually excited for this. Only nitpicks were a couple cheesy lines and how overused blitzkrieg bop is. It’s a great song but it’s so overused.

Now this looks like what I’d expect from a licensed Sonic movie. The plot won’t be that great, but Robotnik and Sonic are spot-on.

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly, though Robotnick should have a bigger mustache.

1 Like