Star Wars Topic

To be honest, I kind of dislike him as well. I feel like we have too many pseudo-Jedi in shows now.

2 Likes

GooGone just needs a little more development, he’s kinda been playing the occasionally-not-helpless baby card for too long. Time to start speaking and mastering the Force in fifteen seconds like Rey

4 Likes

Time for him to throttle people like he did when Cara Dune first showed up.

3 Likes

star wars would be slightly less completely irredeemable if gogurt canonically died

4 Likes

Grapefruit is one of the few things still keeping it alive after the travesty that was the sequel trilogy

2 Likes

Goshgolly did bring in a lot of hype, but I’m not sure his existence was fully thought through. It’s a massive undertaking to add any new information to Yoda’s species, and one that Disney probably can’t handle.

3 Likes

Solid point. Green Day largely works now because we still know so little about him. I have faith that Filoni could pull it off, but of course he’s not the only one with a hand on the wheel. And when it comes to the mystery of the Yoda species, you’re right, there is a high potential for failure. It was one heck of a risk bringing a new one in, especially when he’s center stage

3 Likes

Well, at least he hasn’t really introduced any new info on that species other than that they all have strong Force abilities and age slowly.

4 Likes

I’ll be honest, I completely checked out of Star Wars after the Rise of Skywalker. Used to be really into it, but I fear the franchise is relying too heavily on nostalgia, too busy referencing the original trilogy than trying something new. (For the record, this is coming from someone who loved the Knights of the Old Republic games and the original Thrawn trilogy.)

Maybe there’s good stories out there but I’ve become too jaded to care anymore.

4 Likes

I stopped being emotionally invested in the new canon material after TROS as well. But I’ve been able to derive a tremendous amount of enjoyment from diving back into Legends (video games, novels, reference books, comics, everything) and I’m much happier as a result.

If I don’t enjoy the latest Disney+ show, it doesn’t really matter, cuz I can just dive right back into my latest Star Wars Legends LEGO project (unfortunately, I’ve been having a hard time actually finishing most of them, but that’ll hopefully come with time).

4 Likes

TBH, I’ve lost most of my interest in Star Wars, not because of the new films or shows but rather due to its fandom’s mind-boggling and blood-boiling toxicity and hate toward those and other fans who happen to like them. :unamused:

IMO, the overwhelming majority of the SW fans are (And somewhat, always have been.) dishonest, willfully ignorant, and simply stupid clowns who got neck-deep in the swamp of today’s terminally online group of people. (I trust your imagination as to which social group that may be.)

Even if you don’t like the latest iterations or the direction that Lucasfilm had taken following its purchase in late 2012, you still should respect the creators’ efforts and attempts at telling their stories.

Expressing criticism and pointing out flaws is fine and can be both necessary and beneficial, but what many fans have been doing lately is neither valid criticism nor arguments made in good faith.

For example, they recently attacked and accused Sabine Wren’s character with the same arguments they made about Rey from the sequel trilogy.
They’re labeling both as “Mary Sue” because they think they’ve got every obstacle way too fast, with little struggle. (Which is total rubbish, but anyway.)
It’s ridiculous and shows how much media literacy and comprehension these guys have. (Next to none. :crazy_face:)

5 Likes

Oh boy I love ad-hominim. If you wanted to come across as rational, you already lost that faith in your argument.

As a viewer I expect to be entertained. If they cannot deliver this is a satisfactory way, why should a viewer respect the effort? If you have ever been in theater and made a bad performance or slip-up, you will expect the audience to laugh in order to cope with the sudden awkwardness. An audience exists to make itself feel better or to have a fulfilling experience, and as an entertainer it is your job to deliver it.

Nah. People have opinions, even if they’re not entirely logical. Some people can dislike something simply out of, well, dislike. If you have a bad taste in your mouth, do you explain why it tastes bad? Or do you just spit it out?

Now if we’re going to actually accuse Sabine’s character, one moment of great strife that I have that was also two moments I despised in Kenobi: the fact that she survived a stab wound from a lightsaber.

I don’t care what the arguments are for “how she survived.” Lightsabers are supposed to be lethal weapons, a weapon you don’t survive from if it hits vital points. How come Luke gets a permanent injury and Qui-Gon permanently dies, but a woman with less experience in the force can survive such a wound? Lightsabers don’t feel lethal anymore, they’re wack paddles that you hit zombie troopers with. I dislike it.

4 Likes

To be honest, zombies are usually portrayed as not dying when you cut them apart. (I haven’t watched the show, so I don’t know if this is true, but in most media, you can’t kill a zombie by stabbing. You have to burn it, or otherwise dismember it so it doesn’t have enough parts to keep attacking you.)

I do agree, though, that much of the community is unnecessarily hostile to anyone who says they enjoyed a show. I don’t mind if people have their opinions, but most of the time, it’s those with gatekeeper-type opinions who are doing the ad-hominem arguments, and not the other way around. I get that some viewers may not care if a show or movie doesn’t have an amazing plot, it’s nothing new in a franchise that already has more spin-off than most others.

Do people complain about the LEGO Star Wars specials that utterly contradict canon? Not to my knowledge. So why do they get so mad if someone says they liked a new piece of media? It doesn’t further either side to do this. Better for them to petition writers and executives directly than to resort to arguing online about a franchise that is probably losing viewers to arguments like this.

3 Likes
  • Solves a puzzle no one else can, not even the droid.
  • gets stabbed by a lightsaber. Is fine the next day.
  • betrays her master; is immediately forgiven
  • gets captured by the bad guys; they let her go and give her a ride to boot
  • wanders off blindly on an unfamiliar planet, instantly finds who she’s looking for by accident (actually, her dog finds him for her)
  • masters the Force in three days or so

I won’t fault you for liking it. I like the Naruto series, and I’ve criticized the hedgehog out of it too.

However, I will say this: it’s hypocritical to say “I quit Star Wars because of the hostility of the arguments.” Then turn around and say “the arguments people I disagree with are rubbish.” If you want to provide arguments for why it’s good, I may disagree, I may provide counterarguments; I won’t say it’s rubbish (unless it’s something obviously false, like “Ahsoka didn’t even wield a lightsaber”)

7 Likes

Yes, because it’s not mutually exclusive to feeling disappointed in something and still recognizing the effort and the passion behind it.

It’s easy to forget how many talented people put their hearts and souls into these films and shows when you only see the final result of their work.

Also, entertainment, in general, is very subjective.
What you may find entertaining or enjoyable may not be for other people, and vice versa.
However, this also means that you are, to some extent, responsible for your satisfaction by how much and what standards you set for what you consume.

And many fans did just that, even before Ep 7 came out, setting themselves up for disappointment.

Having different opinions or expressing them ≠ Being hateful and hostile towards anyone who dares to enjoy something you’re not.

These people are constantly doing the latter.

Tell that to Darth Maul… /s :stuck_out_tongue:

On a serious note:
Stabbing someone does not always mean permanent death.
Just because we have seen other characters in the films get killed by a stab does not mean everyone should die from one.
Besides, As I recall that scene, she was not stabbed in her stomach like Qui Gonn was.

All of these are simple nitpicks rather than valid arguments:

1. It was established a long ago in SW: Rebels that she is very talented ( She created a super weapon for the empire during her time at the academy.) and understands art. Like how she solved the Mortis fresco in Rebels S4 on Lothal, despite the imperials studying it for who knows how long.
2. Again, stabbing ≠ instant death.
Not to mention that, Darth Talon from SW: Legacy and Garen Malek (Star killer from TFU games were stabbed at one point and both survived.
3. Not really, they just didn’t discuss it thanks to the events, but whatever…
4. Yeah, so what? They probably were convinced that she wouldn’t survive alone there for too long out there.
5. Luke had almost crashlanded right into Yoda’s hut on Dagobah, so…
6. Again some people are more talented than others. Plus, she didn’t master the fore at all, she was barely capable of pushing Ezra up to the star destroyer.

No, it’s not.
If you know or have seen what these fans have been parroting on their platforms, you would know, why I shouldn’t need to go into details why they’re wrong.

If someone keeps shouting things that common sense tells you are rubbish, I don’t have to go through their arguments point by point to declare what they say to be rubbish.
Plain and simple.

2 Likes

I despised it with Darth Maul too. No sarcasm, I hate when characters come back from the dead. Force ghosts? Fine. But there’s no freaking way in heck Maul survived.

She was stabbed where vital organs were. Just like Qui-Gon is. It looked as if she would have gotten her pancreas, kidneys, and bladder wounded, and even part of her intestines. I’m surprised she wasn’t in more pain considering.

Also ask anyone who has actually been stabbed how difficult it is to survive a stab wound. There is a reason knife crime tends to be more dangerous than gun crime.

You come at the arguments of people who disagree with you with a sense of superiority by calling your opinions “common sense”. Not everyone who disagrees with you lacks “common sense”. The only thing you are doing is making people feel bad. Which is, ironically, what seems to be your problem with your adversaries in such arguments.

I will say this: you could have the most talented person in the world make a cruddy project, and it is still ultimately crud, and I don’t have to respect that crud. I am a creator myself; I know that respect from an audience has to be earned, not just given. Yes a lot of these people worked hard for the Ashoka show. OK cool.

If someone thinks my artwork or writing is bad, so be it. I just move on from it. I genuinely don’t think Disney corporation cares what a bunch of nerds say anyways. If they did they would have course-corrected by now.

6 Likes

I can recognize the effort and the passion and slam the final product for being flawed in spite of it. Especially with certain pieces of Star Wars media in recent history, it’s clear very talented individuals put a gigantic amount of effort and love into something that was already so bad from the beginning that no amount of polish could possibly redeem it. It sucks that animation studios and visual fx geniuses had to slave away on Rise of Skywalker only for it to be one of the worst pieces of media Disney has ever produced, but I can equally give the people behind those efforts all the credit due them while refusing to spend a single dime on the garbage that it became.

Just because something had effort and passion does not make it good. Cronk’s perspective appears to come from a base level (not a basic level, per se) that the final product has to achieve its goal of being entertaining for him, and he has no reason to respect the collective effort if this is not fulfilled.

While it is true that many people slaved away on the show to get it to completion, none of the people involved - zero - will get any credit for their contribution outside of an extra recommendation on a resume. It’s the stars, composers, and the corporation behind it that will get all of the credit, so Cronk going out of his way to bring up the dedication of individuals in the project will only have the inverse reaction of propping up the multi-billion dollar brand, with only specific individuals (like yourself) being told in specific detail that what he’s doing is actually not that at all.

While this is true, Disney has had a large number of characters in recent history get skewered with practically no side effects after a few minutes, whereas every time this happened in the rest of Star Wars it was pretty much a game over. It’s not just Qui-Gon; the three Jedi masters which faced Sidious in Ep. 3 all died by impaling, too, and virtually instantly.

Racie’s point (IMO, anyway) isn’t so much that she survived, but that she got stabbed in her internal organs by a weapon which cuts through nearly everything with no resistance and the next day it wasn’t more than an annoyance at best.

The Galen Marek instance is followed up by Vader explicitly saying that he recovered Galen’s body and “rebuilt” it, leaving rebuilt as a very vague definition of what occurred and with very little context to further explain it. Presumably he solved any potential mortal injuries with unexplained modifications.

I only know this because I was playing it a couple days ago; game’s kinda mid ngl

The so what is why didn’t they just kill her instead of seemingly feeling sorry for her and handing over a free ride which they presumably value?

I hope this isn’t what you mean by this, but it really looks like you’re saying “I know I’m better than everyone else so I don’t even care to acknowledge their opinions reasonably.” You might want to clarify what you mean by this.

6 Likes

Quite true.

2 Likes

And there we spent a whole episode of her going over the art and figuring out what it means. Here she looks at it, says “three”, and turned some stuff and solved it. No explanation of what she did or how she knows to do that.

Who spent years recovering and goes insane. I don’t like Maul returning either, but at least he didn’t just walk it off.

They do discuss it in episode 6. Ahsoka just says “well, you did what you had to.”

That’s not the point. The point is that she does nothing to earn her escape. The bad guys just let her go.

Yes. These things can happen. Again, you’re missing the point: she does nothing to earn it. She walks off in a random direction, and her dog (not even her) finds a turtle.

If it was just this, fine, I wouldn’t care. Contrivances happen all the time in stories; you gave an example yourself with Luke. But it’s also another example of how she doesn’t earn anything she does.

She goes from “her talent in the Force is the worst Huyang has ever seen” to “yeah I can lift a person and throw him three times in a row” over 3 days. That’s a massive leap.

Anyone with common sense should see that the Ahsoka Series is garbage.

Do you see how this sounds? I think the Ahsoka Series is horrible, and I don’t see how anyone can like it or anything else Disney Star War has put out recently.

But if you like it? More power to you. People have different opinions, or enjoy things despite their flaws. I won’t say you shouldn’t. You have just said “anyone with common sense should see that their opinions are wrong”.

I wouldn’t normally say this, I’m far too nice, but you are the one who is demonstrating the toxic behaviour you complained about. You made an argument, gave no justification for it, and said “anyone who thinks otherwise is complete rubbish and has no common sense.”

I’m happy to continue to debate whether Sabine is a Mary Sue. I like to discuss things like that – it’s the main reason why I watched a show I knew would be bad. I will admit that some of your points are valid – Maul does survive, Sabine doesn’t do anything really big with the Force. You are right on both counts. Your argument is not completely rubbish, and I’d appreciate if you didn’t say mine is.

5 Likes

Muy bueno. I agree with your reasoning that Sabine was written terribly. Her Force abilities should have grown in a more natural way, and she should have had actual consequences for her actions, which it seems the writers particularly avoided doing.

2 Likes