The Antidermis pool (Gilahu's Brotherhood Project Makuta WIPs)

He’s lookin pretty sus

5 Likes

How does Belgahn’s tail look from the back?

4 Likes

Took the picture before changing both arms, but here you go:

10 Likes

Does he need a cape? It seems fine as is. I think a cape on a character with a tail is little limiting to the tail

5 Likes

Absolutely, a cape + tail is not the best combination. What I have in mind is not a full-sized cape, though. What I have in mind is something relatively short that gives him a bit of a “royal” air while emphasizing his girth. Henry VIII comes to mind, even if here it’s more of a robe:
grafik

But I’ll have to see how to go about it.

11 Likes

So, update on Chisk - decided to try out angled shoulders. Took me a couple hours, but I finally managed something that’s absolutely stable.

Of course, due to the choice of chestpiece, I also have rather broad shoulders now, which is somewhat in contrast to the original… And I’m really not looking forward to somehow get the arms to not add even more width. But that said, I think with the hood I plan to give him (unless I botch that), this will look good.

12 Likes

So, arms for Chisk - I kinda think the Inika armor looks good, but it’s a real pain to build a good-looking, slender and relatively short arm around it.
Other option would be the same upper arm design Nebunie uses, utilizing Knights Kingdom armor. Might flow better with the planned hood as well, but right now it actually looks better here on the picture than in real, I think. Might be the dark background.

Any thoughts? Also open to any other parts suggestions. The original of course uses Skrall armor, but I’d rather not want to use it here since it’s been tough getting more of those parts lately and I think I have only two or so left. Likely gonna save those for when they feel more needed.

7 Likes

Inika armor prevents the flat-shoulder syndrome, which is especially an issue given the shoulders slope down on this moc, and the neck looks longer due to the prominent white chest piece. I’d try to go for the inika shoulders, IMO (or at least something similar).

6 Likes

The back of these legs really looks good.

5 Likes

Decided to make the shoulders less broad after all and started working on the cloth part.

I think the Knights Kingdom armor is probably the way to go after all. Unfortuantely I apparently only have one black piece left.

11 Likes

Things are coming along…

Added waist articulation since it required just the replacement of a few parts on the upper torso.

The big question is how to proceed with the hood. I’m unsure if it’s too tall like this. I could make it flatter, but would it being more rounded look good?

Additionally, I’ve been thinking about further additions to it, with two possibilities coming to mind:

Would be symmetrical, of course. Possibly also as much as 4 on the back.

Any thoughts?

11 Likes

It kinda makes it look like he has a head-tail, like the twi-lek or Togruta from Star Wars. Feels a little disconcerting since Makuta don’t have hair, and I’m not sure what it’s meant to be, but it looks cool, I’ll give it that.

actually, I think the pointed hood works.

5 Likes

I feel like the hood would be better rounded, honestly.

The dangling jewel is a nice touch, and I’d love to see a Makuta that uses such accessories, but I feel like it’s difficult to tell if it works without a more finished build.

4 Likes

I think if you’re going for a sort of vaguely jesterish look, having a pointy hood works better. As for the tails on the hood, I personally prefer the second version, with the tails on the back.

5 Likes

I actually had another idea for the jewels yesterday which I promptly tried since it only required some yarn.

Also I think I’ve finally found a wielder for that cutlass thing I built a while ago.

Though something still is missing, I feel… maybe I’ll try some embroidery next.

9 Likes

Yeah, this already looks fantastic. What feels missing (to me) is the redness of the eyes. The head/face is pretty nondescript.

5 Likes

Nothing to be done there, I fear. It lies in the nature of the hood to prevent light from falling onto the eyestalk. A lighter eye colour might help slightly, but I want to stick to orange eyes for all Makuta, so that’s not an option.

5 Likes

So while I’m waiting to organize what’s necessary for the last touches on Chisk and Belgahn, I decided to finally dig out the remains of Jarnat. Considering he was my first MOC when I started to get into MOCing, it’s certainly time to bring him up to date again.

The blue pinaxles are a little sad, but otherwise I think so far this is going rather well.

Decided to stick with the general design of the upper legs, even if they don’t allow for free knee articulation. Funnily, this makes the whole thing much less of a pain to build and also more stable. Luckily, Jarnat also has the bulk to cover the necessary knee gaps.

The Piraka feet on the torso will also definitely limit arm articulation, but I consider them too much of a signature component of him to consider changing them. And even broader shoulders to extend past them would look silly.
For the arms I’ll have to organize more of the trans orange hand pieces, though…

And for comparison the last version:

Update: Head

Any opinions?

15 Likes

I think the head is a definite improvement over the original. I’m not sure how to explain it, but it feels much more substantial.

3 Likes

I think the old one felt like it was missing the head, it looked like a fence on a red plate. This one actually resembles a mask.

6 Likes