The Book of Ramblings

So I just looked and turns out @Racie02 is also in this story so this could not be yours truly.

Let us proceed to wait for my humiliation set in!

4 Likes

I love my portrayal so much.

2 Likes

you literally quoted the part where I said she was a girl

2 Likes

Yeah my eyes completely skipped over that and went straight to hoodie and headphones

Guess what’s here!

5 Likes

this is a sign

1 Like

I am concerned.

2 Likes

I’m almost afraid to ask, but is it too late to sign up to be a part of this? :thinking:

4 Likes

most definitely too late

there was a signup topic and everything man you gotta be quicker than two weeks after it closes :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

So next time ask one week after it closes, got it. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

I’m gonna go cringe myself to sleep now.

2 Likes

yes exactly

3 Likes

Can’t wait for the first line that I say to be complete gibberish. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I thought you were going to not say anything and just make wild gestures while constantly running in place

2 Likes

Hey! I already do that.

2 Likes

What was that about waiting for humiliation then? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Chapter 6

You gently pushed Cordax off of you and back into his seat, glaring at him with eyes that didn’t exist until he re-fastened the buckle on the seat. The train had taken off from zero to ninety in almost half a second, and while you were there to prevent the Cordax intestinal tract wallpaper fashion trend from ever beginning - it would help if Cordax hadn’t improperly buckled in to begin with - Winger was not as fortunate, slamming into the back of the cab with the full force of a, um, train, and having a much higher chance of obtaining a broken rib at this point than he ever had from you tossing him into a counter.

“Lemme run down the list of who we’re looking for.” Pakari said, projecting a green hologram in front of his face as the seemingly immune to the laws of momentum Krelikan stalked past your vision to peel Winger off the wall. “Agent Bird is, as I mentioned a minute ago, the head of the first research team, and far better equipped for the job than anyone here. Full alias is MocingBird, worked as a riot officer and was part of the division which first tested out the controversial permafuse armor developed by Stanford. I’m sure you’re aware Stanford was a subsidiary of Ghid’s company.”

“I am.” You replied blandly, obviously bored. Cordax is poking you, but you attempted to ignore it.

“Ah! Aah!” Winger yelped as he plopped to the floor. “Joints don’t work like that, you stupid calculator!”

Krelikan, who was glancing to Pakari for approval, simply shrugged in an extremely ingenuous manner and trudged towards the front of the cab. Winger rubbed his shoulder, breathing out vile words in the machine’s direction.

“…He’s primary objective since we can track his signature. The rest are likely with him, but in case they’re not I’ll be going over them too.”

“We already heard all this.” Racie mumbled, busy recovering from the sudden acceleration to fully groan at the reiteration of old info. “Can’t you just show him the screen and get it over with? Jeez.”

“No. Anyway, the next one on the list is Eilrach. Mummified a long while ago, he was requested to be present by those funding this little expedition as a sort of failsafe in case something went wrong. Locked securely, but you know the kind of threats we’re dealing with. I can’t agree with their decision, though-”

“Wait, no, stop. Back. Go back. Rewind.” Cordax pointed to the left to indicate backtracking in the conversation. “Mummified? As in, a mummy? Dead? You’re bringing a mummy?

Pakari shrugged. “Hey, the last group had to bring him. Don’t judge me for their decision.”

“Wait, they actually thought he wouldn’t just kill everyone?” You commented.

“It’s a last last kind of last resort.” Pakari shrugged again. “You’ll have all the time in the world to ask them when we get them back. You’ll also probably want to ask about Zero, who I have literally no information on. Go figure.”

A muffled voice from the front of the train cried out. Krelikan began immediately running through his various capabilities, revealing his mechanical body was armed to the teeth with all sorts of dangerous weaponry, mostly firearms and explosives, but the occasional wicked-looking blade as well. He stopped in surprise at all the concerned glances he was getting.

“Wild said Two Minutes. I am making sure I am ready.”

As it turned out, the inspection had taken those two minutes, for the train suddenly lurched the opposite direction, and Winger went flying towards the front of the cab. He quickly removed himself from the opposite wall in anticipation of Krelikan attempting to help him again.

The train ground to a halt and the glowing speck reappeared. “Alright, all you girls file out! We’ve got only a few hours to get this whole thing over with, so… Go! Do it!”

Racie sent a couple questioning glances about the cab, notably at Wild, and with a shrug shuffled out of the cab. Cordax was the next to follow, scrambling to get out ahead of Krelikan. Your seatbelt was jammed, so you were undoubtedly the last to leave, the chatty speck zipping out just ahead of you. Without a doubt the view you saw after exiting the cab was the most sickening piece of architectural decay you had ever witnessed.

McGick Bottling Company, which just happened to also have a nuclear reactor large enough to eliminate all life in the surrounding area if it happened to leak. Cordax jabbed you violently in the side with his elbow. “Psst, yo, baldy. Why do all nuclear reactors look like golf balls?”

“It’s because…”

Ch 7

15 Likes

Oh boy, oh boy this is getting good! I still can’t imagine we’re this is going, such a unique writing style and I love it

2 Likes

I’m such a Stereotype and I love it.

2 Likes

A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one.

6 Likes

Chapter 7

“When you split an atom, you’re making a hole in one!”

You glared at Cordax with exceeding disappointment.

“No good? let’s try this: because nuclear energy is sub-par! That any better? Or how about: because nuclear plant workers have to be on the ball! Or how abo-”

You send your hand flying upwards, smacking Cordax on the cheek. “Stop embarrassing the air you’re breathing by associating it with your string of disjointed prose, and stop your attempts at standup comedy before I deliver the quickest punchline you’ve ever seen.”

Cordax rubbed his jaw, glaring up at you. Your reprimand had gone unnoticed by the rest of the party, or at least they weren’t contesting it as they walked inside the entrance to the factory, which loomed darkly over your head. The first thing your sharp eyesight took in as you entered was the ventilation duct closest to the entrance had been torn open… From the inside.

“Not good.” Pakari grumbled, shining a light from his palm up into the open vent. “We’re dealing with someone or something with a memorized map of the ventilation system. You can tell by the-”

“You can’t.” Winger retorted, browsing a pamphlet for Uncle Ghid’s Cider Factory Tour. “They could have entered from somewhere close by and happened to know the direction to the door. For an emergency rescue team you people are so shallow.”

“I’m not going to have you start being a problem this early on.” Pakari snapped, jabbing a finger at Winger. “You want to be a problem, you can go and wait in the train car.”

Winger looked at you, which caused Pakari to look at you as well. You looked back and forth between the two of them before giving a slightly comical shrug, unsure how to resolve the tension and bring it off yourself without telling Winger what to do.

Racie snickered at your reaction. “Okay cool. Can we find a working computer someplace here? Because otherwise I’m going to continue being useless, and if you’re all going to keep being jerks to each other I’ll head back to the train and wait till you go at each other’s throats.”

“No sign of anything,” Wild yapped as he flew down from the inside of the vent. “Tons of twists and turns in every direction, but no other light coming from any other direction other than right here. Although you were right about the chemical, Pakari. Two types of the bleeder stuff and the other part I’m not sure about, but your freak science theory may hold up if we test it on what’s-her-face.”

“Excuse me?” Racie glared from under her hoodie. “I have a name and you very well know it.”

“Yeah, but I think your name is stupid.” Wild grinned. “So let’s stick with what’s-her-face.”

Pakari rubbed his forehead. “Can we all stop trying to out-snark each other for five minutes please? Wild, if you don’t stop being a piece of crap I’m- You know what I can do, so don’t make me. Let’s work this thing out instead of giving everyone a reason to hate each other.”

Wild responded with a mad cackle before swooping uncomfortably close past Winger’s face as he made for a utility closet at the other end of the room. “Ohh wow, you’re so scary right now! I almost cried with fright when you whined at me like a three year old who tells his parents what to do. Give us all a break and go suck your thumb so you’ll have enough emotional strength…”

Wild disappeared into the keyhole. Pakari tapped something on his arm with obvious irritation, likely following up on the threat he had stated to Wild. Winger looked between several members of the party and finally at you before walking to the utility closet and flinging the door open.

It was hard to tell what was inside due to the distance and the lack of light, but by Winger’s violent reaction involving stumbling backwards until he collided with Racie and wordlessly jabbing a shaking finger in the direction of the door, you could guess that it was pretty serious and warranted further examination. Pakari had begun to move to the door but you easily outpaced him, shoving him aside with your massive hand as if his technologically advanced frame was as strong as a toddler. Your glowing head illuminated the dark space as an even more angry Pakari came up behind you.

“That is so it,” He snapped, angrily stomping on the carpeted floor as he approached. “Get off your high horse right now before I… Oh no.”

The body of a large mechanical person was crammed into a space it was too small to occupy. Fragments of bone were sticking out from places they shouldn’t be in, and the smooth orange faceplate that looked up from the middle of a contortion of limbs was one twisted into an expression of dread.

“Bird.” Wild flew out from the keyhole. “He’s been dead for three days.”

13 Likes