The Chronicler's Game. Information and Character Sheet.

This forum’s categories are awful btw.

24 Likes

Intriguing. Is the leveling system class-based or point-buy dependent?

You start with Base stats determined by your Species, and from there it’s a point buy system.

And each time you level up you’d get one new point to spend

3 Likes

@Chronicler is this your game?

Sounds like an interesting concept. I used pseudo-RPG rules to play with my BIONICLE characters (I spent a lot of time playing by myself) so I’m interested to see your interpretation.

2 Likes

It’s my game… I don’t know who that is.

(To explain the joke: Chronicler’s an forum regular, so upon seeing the title I was half expecting it to be his, despite Chronicler being a standard BIONICLE concept.)

2 Likes

so is this a game you’re going to host on the forums or a discussion of the game as you make it?

either way, there’s not a whole lot of information to go off of here

Ooh is this a BIONICLE table top RPG? Please update us on the rulebook and stuff, I’m 100% interested in a BIONICLE TTRPG.

Edited category to better reflect topic content -Ghid

1 Like

Serious Bionicle RPG. Oh yeah.
The sheets with parameters look super-cool, hex is the right shape. I think that willpower should be added to skills- it’s something Toa are very good at. And what stealth really means (I am not like “very familiar” with RPGs, actually)?
In the Special abilities box: Kanohi power should probably be with Kanohi, not with the character. And maybe the element should be specified (fire).
Just my thoughts. Waiting for a continiation for this!

3 Likes

I am very interested by this, very much so…

1 Like

So species is the only base variation between characters? You need to be able to have significant pros for different species, otherwise who would play a Matoran over a Toa?

Yeah each Species has it’s own strengths and weaknesses, sort of acting as pseudo classes in their own way.

For example Matoran have high agility and charisma, but low strength and health, so they’re better suited for specific play styles.

3 Likes

Can a Matoran turn into a Toa?

At some point yeah, although I haven’t finalized exactly how that’ll function yet.

2 Likes

Yeah, I’ve tried to make a BIONICLE RPG before and had this same problem. Transitioning a Matoran to become a Toa isn’t an easy system to implement. :sweat_smile: My best idea is to make Toa becoming a “legacy class” thing or whatever.

I imagine the transformation would have to be less of a “mechanic” , and more of just a big moment in a campaign’s story.

3 Likes

The issue with that is that you have to have some sort of mechanic to maintain character concept. If you transform from Matoran to Toa, would your racial stats change? What if you were playing a super stealthy and charismatic “rogue” archetype Matoran but then you change to Toa and you’re forced to go melee tank or something?

3 Likes

Well that’s why toa are by default completely blank slates, with all of their Skill stats being 0’s to begin with.

I imagine you’d just move all of your items, skills, and stats over to your toa character. The only things that would change is that now you can control your element and use Kanohi, and you’d drop whatever matoran specific abilities you had.

Or, you could go back through the point buy system with your new toa, being able to redistribute your stat points however you’d like.

3 Likes

Sounds good to me. The only problem is when players don’t care about story and just want to jump straight to a Toa character.

Another thought I had: one thing you might want to keep in mind is that due to the lack of an abundance of Bionicle fans in the general world, a lot of these games are going to be PbP, so you might want to keep that in mind during game design.

3 Likes