The Legend of the BIONICLE: Celebrating 20 years of Lego stories

Maybe they’ll host a contest on ideas. I feel like that would be the only viable option.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t exactly call this a new phenomenon. I respect your points here, but ever since G1’s cancellation there has been a vocal minority going on a downward spiral into madness. This same kind of vitriol and division occurred at the official announcement of G2 over the “hero factory parts” and all that nonsense. It’s just a side-effect of a starved fandom, I’d say.

EDIT: here’s also a random physics engineering educational blog singing Bonkle’s praises and doing a whole G1 history lesson for some reason to get us through these dark times :stuck_out_tongue:

10 Likes

But you have to pay for a membership to read it. :frowning:

1 Like

What? I didn’t have to pay for anything lol

I clicked on your link, and it blocked me from reading the article unless I was a member. I looked into that, and it said I have to pay an annual fee. But that might be because I’m just doing it on my phone…maybe it’ll be different on a computer?

Most likely. I accessed the article on laptop with absolutely no trouble. Even clicking my own link now is quick and painless.

3 Likes

Nope it isn’t working on my computer either.

Fine, how about just the site: https://www.popularmechanics.com/

It’s the top article.

I clicked on the link, and was able to read the article without any troubles.

1 Like

Nope. Still asks me for a paid membership.

1 Like

Okay, here’s a little test, who of you here have adblock?

Not I. :slight_smile: I doubt that’d be it.

Well, so far, out of my sample size of like, two, Jay and I have both been able to access, we both have adblock. Do you have adblock @LegoDavid?

I have adblock and can also not read the article.

Are either of you certain you aren’t viewing the article somehow through some sort of database that has access to the premium? Perhaps through a school, university, or library?

That’s the only way I could think of. But for most people, you do require premium Popular Mechanics, which is a shame in my eyes. Of course an article on a mainstream website about Bionicle is only locked to a small group of readers.

5 Likes

Am I at school, university, or a library during lockdown? Hmmmmmmm

:stuck_out_tongue:

I’m at home, to be clear. I typed the site’s url into my searchbar, I clicked all the links manually, it was so simple and regular that I didn’t even understand why there would be a problem.

3 Likes

Slipped my mind, but universities do have online research databases. Mine, for instance, has subscriptions to numerous publications. It’s not an airtight answer, it’s just a possible option I considered.

But either way, it’s a strange incident. Unless you have the Popular Mechanics premium-whatever, you can’t read the article. Don’t know how it works for some people and not others, but I’m willing to bet that the exceptions here are the ones who can view it rather than those who can’t.

5 Likes

Maybe one of you could copy the article… actually, no, don’t do that. That would be plagiarism.

1 Like

you just need a decent adblock to access the article. Mine is usually off when I first enter a site, so originally I could only access it if I had a paid membership. Then I turned my adblock on and then I could read it no problem.

Basically you just need a adblocker that works to read it

1 Like

I could access the site just fine, and I don’t have an Adblock.

4 Likes

Okay, I’m home from work now, and I cannot access the article on my computer. I tried installing Adblock, but it didn’t work. I’m not even sure if it was activated on my Chrome browser.