The Toa Ayak

I’m not sure if I’ve mentioned it here or not, but I have told some peeps in the Bionicle community in the past that I want to make Consul R the main antagonist of a potential fanfic I want to wrote. Of course, an antagonist needs a protagonist to oppose them, and a Makuta needs a group of Toa to fight. And so I present the Toa Ayak.

Aluva

Species: Toa of Stone
Kanohi: Nydak, Great Mask of Trust
Pieces: 70
(ah-LOO-vah)

Aluva is a former member of Consul R’s Toa Hagah team. Although a loyal servant at first, he eventually discovered the Makuta’s true intentions to his horror. He defected the team, unwilling to serve her. In response, R executed the remainder of the team for failing to prevent the treason at its source. After having learned this, Aluva now believes his destiny is to stop R’s reign of terror once and for all. Now he leads the Toa Ayak and is all but ready to declare war on the Consul.

Paihana

Species: Toa of Water
Kanohi: Suletu, Great Mask of Telepathy (mutated)
Pieces: 61
(pie-YAHN-nah)

Once upon a time, Paihana was a normal Toa of Water serving on a small, unidentified island, then the island’s supervising Makuta, Chirox, betrayed the inhabitants by unleashing his newest creation, the Visorak, upon them. Paihana was lucky enough to survive the encounter, but not unscathed; she was infected with Hordika venom and underwent a similar transformation to the Toa Hordika. After many millennia of fighting the pain, Paihana was eventually able to halt the venom’s effects from continuing and has rejected the idea of being cured, believing that the trials and tribulations of the venom had molded her into a greater Toa than she would’ve been otherwise. Soon after, Paihana was approached by Aluva and she was appointed the deputy leader of the Toa Ayak.

Unlike the Toa Hordika, Paihana is able to access the powers of her Kanohi Suletu, but doing so requires greater mental strain than a standard Toa. Her Rhotuka spinners poison targets on contact, comparable to the effects of a Lerahk.

Kawi

Species: “Toa of Magma”
Kanohi: Sanok, Great Mask of Accuracy (reforged)
Pieces: 55
(KAH-wee)

Kawi was kidnapped by Brotherhood servants and artificially turned into a Toa as a result of their experiments. As a “Toa of Magma,” he has fluent control over earth and significant control over fire. Eventually, Kawi was able to escape Brotherhood custody, but found himself stricken with guilt; he was not traumatized by his experience in the least, but he knows that not everyone is as lucky or as strong of will as he. When Aluva presented Kawi with an offer to join the Toa Ayak, he accepted, believing that defeating R will lead him to others that they can save before they suffer the same fate.

Goldren and Vitax

Species: Toa of Plantlife (Goldren), Bohrok
Kanohi: Kakatu, Great Mask of Projection
Pieces: 105 (Goldren) + 39 (Vitax)
(gohl-dren) (VIE-taks)

Goldren had always been physically weaker than other Matoran, so he was just as surprised as everyone else when he was transformed into a Toa of Plantlife. That said, he swore to his Turaga, Reva, that he wouldn’t let his disability drag him down and continued to construct robots and battle droids to help him in his tasks; his favorite creation is a repurposed Bohrok named Vitax who loyally follows him around like a dog. Goldren’s creativity and refusal to give up made him a perfect fit for the Toa Ayak.

Praetex

Species: Toa of Ice
Kanohi: Syros, Great Mask of Fortitude
Pieces: 93
(pray-tex)

If Praetex’s weapons and fighting style seem familiar, it’s because he’s from the same lineage of Toa that the Mangai Eiramil was a part of. In spite of this, Praetex’s personality couldn’t be farther from Eiramil’s; his icy powers are contrasted by his incredibly warm heart, which made him a good pick for the Toa Ayak.

Leath

Species: Toa of Psionics
Kanohi: Kaora, Great Mask of Healing
Pieces: 93
(LEE-ith)

Leath is an old war-hero, the former leader of the Toa team who initially opposed Consul R and her Toa Hagah (including, at one time, Aluva), who had gained the respect of her peers and the adoration of the Matoran she’s watched over. She let her pride get to her head and wound up believing that she could face the Makuta alone, a mistake which grievously cost her. Since the injury, Leath has learned to take things slowly, believing that a second look usually pays off. She holds off on using her elemental abilities whenever possible, instead relying on a simple rapier to fight, and wears a Kaora in the event that something similar happens to a teammate, so she can heal them before they meet the same fate.

When Aluva, one of R’s former Toa Hagah, approached Leath to join his team, he was understandably concerned that she’d hold a grudge. Fortunately, Leath understood that they weren’t enemies because of personal reasons but because they were loyal to opposing causes, and was happy to join forces with the Toa Ayak.

Trivia

• With the exception of the masks, Aluva’s chestplate, and Leath’s cape, all 7 of these figures are purist.
  • Though I didn’t do this comparison with all of them, they are all intended to be shorter than R; a not easy task given that she is already roughly Toa-sized.
  • Leath’s left arm is not a prosthesis like Lariska’s. Instead, think of it like most of the paint had chipped off, leaving the joints underneath exposed and vulnerable to the elements.
13 Likes

hordika build
always nice seeing more full toa teams

7 Likes

ah these all look great, i especially like the lore for them all!

5 Likes