"They were the elite" - Entry for Canon Contest #3: Honor Guard

Better late than never, I say! This is the first Bionicle MOC contest I’ve entered since 2006, tbh, so it was fun to hunt down what pieces I had and get to building like I did as a kid.

Without further ado…

Bomonga

This was the first model I built and my favorite (alongside Gaaki). I typically associate Toa of Earth with short and bulky designs, and while I kept that for the arms and armor I felt like the Rahkshi legs were a better fit, even if they made Bomonga on the tall end for an Onu-Toa.
Below, you can see the poses, the size comparison, and the breakdown.

Summary

Front

Side

Back

Size comparison (as you can see, Bomonga is just about as tall as Iruini)

Breakdown

I added the bush pins to the Nuva armor just to fill a little bit of space on the arms.

I give consent for my mask to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: Yes
I give consent for my metallic color choice to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: No
I give consent for my spear tip to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: Yes

Pouks

The jagged edges on the chest armor and spear tip, combined with the bulkiness of the leg armor and feet, reflect my association of Toa of Stone with hard, rough, and uneven edges. I was a little worried about the spear length and the overall height of the model, so I used a slightly shorter rod on the upper half of the spear and made the torso a little shorter just in case.

Summary

Front

Side

Back

Size comparison

Breakdown

The color of the spear tip turned out weird on this pic, but that’s okay.

I give consent for my mask to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: Yes
I give consent for my metallic color choice to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: No
I give consent for my spear tip to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: Yes

Kualus

I don’t have much to say about this model, honestly, other than that I liked the spear tip. I struggled with the mask and ultimately chose something that I could get close enough to silver/light grey. Ultimately, though, I’m especially glad that masks can be placeholders in this contest!

Summary

Front

Side

Back

Size comparison (as you can see, he is a little shorter than Iruini)

Breakdown

Gaaki

)
Admittedly, the pearl gold I was going for was harder for me, a person with only the most basic Photoshop skills, to replicate than I expected. But I am happy with the result. Gaaki is probably my favorite of the bunch alongside Bomonga. I found the spear tip and the Lhikan Hau at a used Lego store. My original idea would have used the Hau as shoulder armor, but I couldn’t find a second one and, once I put the model together, felt it was a better fit for the mask anyway.

Summary

Front

Side

Back

Size comparison (she is slightly shorter than Iruini)

Breakdown

I used similar pieces to connect the shoulder armor that I did for Pouks’s leg armor. The gap in between the shoulder armor and shoulder piece was something I am sure I would have fixed, had I had the right pieces or a little more time. Oh well.

I give consent for my metallic color choice to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: Yes

My goal with these models was to make models that fit the spirit of the Iruini and Norik canister sets. They may not be as complex or ornate as other models, but I think these models capture the spirit of the Hagah as well as the letter. If nothing else, I had fun building and editing these, and I hope you like them too!

EDIT: Redid Gaaki’s pose to match the armor better (thanks for pointing that out, Eljay!). Also changed my mind about changing Bomonga’s mask.

15 Likes

These are cool. Best of luck!

1 Like

Pretty good, I like your choice of metallics, spear tips and the fact that you didn’t make bomonga look ridiculous.

Thank you for entering.

For Gaaki, some of these pictures meet parity with the pearl gold pretty well, but your entry picture does not. Would you be able to correct that by the end of Monday? If not, we’ll crop Gaaki out of the size comparison photo and use that.

Thank you.

Yeah! That’s my bad, I’ll fix that right away and get back to you.

This is much closer, I think. I’ll put it into the original post.

2 Likes