Toa Gaaki (BIONICLE Canon Contest #3: Honor Guard)

It may be an objectively bad design but no need to go on about it, it’s kinda mean. If you don’t like it you won’t vote for it.

Edit: To clarify, I’m no supporter of all that round shaping stuff, my point is people have criticized it enough, leave the Moc alone :gregf: :+1: :100:

2 Likes

What is and isn’t a bad design is a subjective thing. If Roodaka and Wairuha Nuva (who literally has a Nuva butt) can get away with having such “shaping”, then so can this Gaaki. If you don’t like it, just don’t vote for this entry, no need to be mean.

5 Likes

There are pros and cons, but in my personal opinion, I really like this! :blush: :blush: :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts:
(I can’t rule out the possibility of disqualification, but I’ll wait the TTV staff’s decision)

3 Likes

https://board.ttvchannel.com/t/toa-gaaki-bionicle-canon-contest-3-honor-guard/59708/43?u=garvox

unlike hoseryx (which was an obvious troll) my entry is not added in bad faith. This genuienly is my building style and i don’t get why anyone would get upset about it

6 Likes

yeah I’m not 100% sure I believe that, but I’m in no position to be the judge of that, TTV as it stands is tho lol. Hopefully they make a smart decision

I will also say even without the rule 11 looking thicc bits, it does seem a bit too complex in the lower torso and legs compared to norik and iruni anyways too

4 Likes

Not quite.

Magnetism has gunmetal, which neither of the other two do.

While there is potential for overlap between Sonics and Earth if an Onu-Matoran is just black and grey, Onu-Matoran can also have other colours to differentiate themselves. Also, Krakua shows that De-Matoran tend to have more gray than an Onu-Matoran would.

There are multiple topics of people saying why this is a big deal to them. No need to repeat ourselves.

In theory, the blue technic piece at the knee could lock into place against the knee ball. The problem is that that Technic hole is being filled by a half-pin, which is a (minor) illegal connection.

5 Likes

basically it completely steals another element’s color scheme as opposed to having overlap with it.

You can read through the very last parts of the Canon Contest Discussion topic, it was discussed to death there.

2 Likes

ok but with this entry at least, the color is not the main issue lol

2 Likes

Okay.
You can’t say this when we have yet to actually see a Toa of psionics.

If this:

Counts as sufficient element color differences.
So unless Gaaki, Orde, and Varian all wind up with the same colors, then Gaaki is no different from Krakua or Jovan.

2 Likes

I honestly don’t think all such designs are bad. Certainly there are some badly-integrated ones, but this one doesn’t look like that to me. There are better examples, too. Also, “uncharacteristically round shaping” doesn’t really take into account the fact that builds can use different shaping/texturing for visual interest.

Double also, I don’t think this is a joke. It’s not obviously comical like certain other things, and I do not see any indication that it’s in bad faith.

Half the actual reason I find myself defending MOCs like this is because people are sometimes too willing to tear them apart without regard for the rest of the build or for the feelings of the creators. I probably won’t vote for this one, but I am tempted to at least to support Garvox. I do wish it had bigger shoulder armor, though.

Edit:

This is irrelevant, but there aren’t so many non-negatives in this sentence that I can’t not love it. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

incoherent grammar is my specialty

7 Likes

nice >:]

1 Like

Interesting build

Would be nice if you linked and mentioned all materials used to make this render, not only mask model

1 Like

Whether this MOC is approved or not, Onepu looks like a Ba-Matoran even though he is an Onu-Matoran.
Set_Onepu
I personally think that the color of each element serves as a reference only, and in some cases it deviates from them.

(I know Mahri-Hahli’s strange transformation, but still she is a Toa of water, not a Plantlife’s)

I think it explains why Hagah’s metallic armor looks more “strange” than the other examples, especially since it is clearly stated to be acquired.

7 Likes

This hasn’t been DQ’d yet?
Good lord.
I surely hope it won’t be, since this is a ■■■■ nice MOC. Really love the shaping, both front and back, some really interesting choices made with the armor. Genuinely wouldn’t mind if this becomes canon.

3 Likes

Thank you for entering. A few things:

1: The thigh armor will need more gold, as currently it is primarily not a metallic color, and must be to be in parity with the other two, per the rules.

2: It is clear that your design choice for the back of this entry is heavily controversial. We are opting to ask you to remove the controversial portion, otherwise it will be disqualified per rule 11. Do note, it will not be disqualified for being entered in bad faith, but it would be disqualified as we have reason to believe it will be disruptive during the voting process.

Please make these corrections within the next three (3) days.

Thank you.

13 Likes

I knew that would come up

3 Likes

guys a talented builder agrees with me therefore I’m right

2 Likes

I’m glad you called me as talented builder!(and i think @Garvox too!):wink: :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts:
But this is just my opinion, and ofcourse I can’t guarantee this is canon theory! :rofl:

4 Likes

Why MOC having butt is so bad and controversial?

2 Likes