Toa Hagah Canon Contest #3: Honor Guard

Bang. I open with the money shot, which is also my entry pic.

I’ll go ahead and say it right off the bat-- I intentionally made the designs a tad excessive in uniqueness from their brethren Norik and Iruini, to justify how they were six strangers recruited to be bodyguards, and to stray from the “cloned set curse”. I understand if you don’t like my design decisions; to each their own preference in the end, after all. Cheers!

If you’re familiar with my work on Instagram, Facebook, or Reddit, you’ll know that this isn’t my original iteration of the four ‘missing’ Toa Hagah. I had to edit their legs and spears to abide by the contest guidelines (e.g. from 7L joint connectors to 5L joint connectors for the thighs).

Allow me to formally introduce my designs choices. The Toa Hagah were recruited from separate places, and they all have distinctly different appearances and personalities, as seen with Norik and Iruini’s official sets. I applied such with the other four Toa, while retaining parity with Norik and Iruini(armor, weapons, and color schemes). The silver and gold colored armor of the Toa are seen as metallic and shiny in my group renders, as I enhanced them in Photoshop to add to the appeal and aesthetic of my entry.

Their corresponding colors for physical pieces are officially listed as Flat Silver, Flat Dark Gold, and Pearl Gold. I did not follow the gear-based limb articulation, and incorporated a ball-joint system instead. The gear function, however, is still present. The rules did not restrict entries from letting armor designs be unique and non-uniform with Norik and Iruini, hence the variation.

Without further ado,

1. Toa Gaaki: The Tidal Wave
    Gaaki wields a Tidal Spear, commanding waves and storms. It’s only right that I match that concept with an aquatic themed weapon-- a trident shape. I chose silver armor and neon orange highlights to complement her dark blue, as gold-dark blue already exists as a main scheme for Toa of Psionics, and that Orange is the opposite of Blue on the color wheel. I patterned Gaaki’s shoulder armor as fins of sorts, to adhere to her aquatic affinities. All pieces available in respective colors, except Kiina’s Fin Armor, which comes in Dark Blue.

1. Toa Bomonga: The Giant Wrangler

Bomonga wields a Seismic Spear, and is able to send shockwaves with it. I felt it right to make his spear tip resemble a tuning fork, hence the Guurahk Staff end. I chose silver armor and green highlights to complement his black scheme, just because they fit well enough, and were not too hard on the eyes. I kept his height short and build bulky so he would contrast with his Mask power. All pieces are available in their respective colors, except the Ackar Ankle Armor, which sadly only comes in warm colors like Keetorange(Bright Orange).

1. Toa Pouks: The Emulator
    Pouks wields an Avalanche Spear, which is capable of, well, causing avalanches. Nothing special about this one, I regret to add. I chose that blade for his spear tip, as no other cool bladed piece came in Pearl Gold/Flat Dark Gold other than the Chronicler’s Staff(taken by Iruini) and the tiny Mahri blade. His armor is gold, to complement his brown shade, as brown and gold are literally next to each other on the color wheel. All Gold pieces are officially listed as Pearl Gold, except the Rhotuka Shield and Metru Chestplate, which are Flat Dark Gold. All other pieces available in their respective colors.

1. Toa Kualus: The Beastmaster
    This is my favorite of the bunch I’ve created. Kualus wields a Sub-Zero Spear, capable of making Scorpion so angry that he would rise from Hell to find you. Naturally, I used one of Kopaka’s Blades. I patterned his overall design taking inspiration from Monster Hunter, giving Kualus ‘beastly’ features, such as the wolf pauldrons, Visorak textures, and spikes. Nothing says “Rahi Control” like actually dressing for the part. I preferred Silver armor over Gold to avoid conflict with Takanuva. I’m aware the rules state that SILVER METALLICS are restricted to shoulders, chest, feet, mask, thighs, and weapons. Those Pohatu claws on his shins are PEARL LIGHT GRAY and not FLAT SILVER. I’m technically still abiding by the rules, I hope. Bricklink lists the existence of such color after all. All pieces are available in their respective colors except the Inika feet, which comes in White.

Have some mugshots profiles. First picture includes an outdated Gaaki, and will only serve as a height comparison to Whenua and Iruini. The second picture contains the official profiles.

Here are the spears laid side by side, because we already know what the Rhotuka shield looks like.

And here are my original iterations of the spears that I would’ve entered had I not decided to adhere to a simpler design to scoot a little closer to the guidelines and official builds.

Have a family photo op, looking like Zack Snyder’s Justice League staring into the sunset, because why not?

And here’s to having a little more fun with life.

CREDITS:

The Biopack, for parts not Included in Studio’s default library
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Xsz0rEkdOD4fH4M9weHiqsz96ZxHTham/view

The Galvapack, for the placeholder Mask Designs
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1w5sNVBiVOdqxxxEKrLSLtviT44WtAr0j?usp=sharing

.IO files for the builds
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Hj4qE-_FNk6d-6fTDyH9-hV5_5gUo_Ww?usp=sharing

I give consent for my mask to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: (Yes)

I give consent for my metallic color choice to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: (No)

I give consent for my spear tip to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: (No)

72 Likes

Im using the same spear design for the same character. Weird coincidence

7 Likes

Wow I love these! My one point of change would be on Gaaki. I believe you need metallic shoulder armor. An easy fix would be to take the red bohrok eyes and swap them for sliver then you have metallic on the shoulders. and if you dont win with Gaaki make some mods to it and submit for toa Tuyet cause the MOC certainly gives off the vibe of corrupt toa of water with the darker scheme.

2 Likes

That Whenua for the size comparison is wrongly built, just an fyi. it’s two axel holes taller than the actual set.

4 Likes

I see. My bad. At the very least, no one’s shorter than Whenua, making them qualify :sweat_smile: Thanks for pointing it out!

2 Likes

IMO The red bohrok eyes on Gaaki seem a bit excessive.
Other than that I really like these, especially the choice of spear tips.

2 Likes

Want a vote?

These are really good especially the Kualus perhaps my favorite so far.

2 Likes

And i used the same chest armor on my kualus too.

Amyways. I like theses mocs once again. Kualus shoulders are really fitting considering his mask powers.

3 Likes

Some of these seem a little over-designed, but DANG if that money shot isn’t straight FIRE!

Really awesome!

5 Likes

While the translucent accents on Gaaki and Kualus seem a little extra (especially so for Gaaki), you made these really well compliant to a team build dynamic. Nice choices for masks, too. And back to Gaaki’s shoulders, they’ll likely be enforced to be silver, as well, to fit the armor parity rule.

2 Likes

This might be my vote! I really like them all, and I they look great alongside Norik and Iruini. If I understand the somewhat excessive rules for this particular contest correctly though, you vill have to change the connection to the shoulders. Apparently they are not allowed to be connected with the popular ball joint mod, so you have to change it so that they are connected with the 4 long axle and the Technic bushing that the Metru and official Hagah used.

Personally I think it’s ridiculous, but rules are rules I guess.

1 Like

I don’t know where you got that from, but it’s certainly allowed. Some people will vote against it (myself included), but it’s not against the rules.

3 Likes

Wow these are fantastic! Bomonga probably my favourite, I don’t really have much else to say, great job 10/10

1 Like

Gaaki’s shoulder armor will need to be silver, with the rest of her metallic armor, before we can accept that entry. Please make these corrections within three (3) days. Thank you.

4 Likes

My favorite of the group is Kualus, though I also like Pouks and Bomonga, due to how their aesthetics are similar to those of Norik and Iruini. However, I personally think that Gaaki might be a little too complex compared to the others; specifically her shoulder armor.

1 Like

Thought I had seen it earlier today, but when I checked it now, it seems it wasn’t anything official. My bad!

1 Like

Absolutely outstanding work on these, I’m floored. Such beautifully unique designs while simultaneously congruent with each other, and those custom spearheads are all brilliant. Bravo!

1 Like

these renders are seriously impressive, but some of the design choices just seem a bit too far out there to me personally. Gaaki’s shoulder armor in particular.

I really like the use of the chunkier limbs on Bomonga though, and his shoulder armor is a cool unique design that doesn’t stray too far from the standard metru look imo.

1 Like

Will recoloring the Bohrok eyes on her shoulders count? or will the entirety of the shoulder armor have to be Silver?

The fins would need to be recolored.

1 Like