Toa Hagah Canon Contest Ruleset Feedback

Thank you for recognizing my point @Mesonak Should I further my reasoning here, or should I wait for the new topic you mentioned?

Do you honestly not see the similarities between the two rules?

Lets just be clear about what exceptions canonically exist to both the mask and colour rules:

• Character with wrong mask (Lhikan)
  • Character with wrong colour that also looks like another element (Toa Hahli, Onepu, etc.)
  • Toa Hagah with wrong colour (Iruini, Norik)
  • Toa Hagah with wrong mask that also looks like another mask (Norik)

Yet you insist on making the argument that it is canonically impossible for Gaaki to have gold metallic armour because there are no current examples of “Toa Hagah with wrong colours that also look like other elements”.

This is a pretty good argument for making Norik and Iruini mandatory.

Between this reason, and adding extra time, it seems pretty reasonable to make all six mandatory.

1 Like

I honestly see the quote from Greg saying that their masks were in honor of past heroes’ Kanohi and don’t see one saying that Toa Hagah do not use colour coded armor.
Colour coded armor is the rule. The norm. It is not logical to break the rule. The characters that did that were exeptions with various reasons to exist that way. If they were created from a scratch today by a group of people with the goal to make a consistent story they wouldn’t look the same.
Today we are these people.

And the Hagah have a reason: their metallic armour was specially forged separately from their own creation; there’s no reason it has to match their usual colour scheme. Iruini (and, to a lesser extent, Norik) are precedent for the armour to break the colour rules.

I sure hope so.

But we can’t say for sure.

You have the pleasure to read any of the dozen times I said earlier that Iruini doesn’t break that logic.

Imagine a society where all clothing is colour coded. Would you purposefully create something that goes against it?

I personally don’t think color should overlap with other elements. If not for the canonicity, but because if further complicates it. Visually, I find it a lot more intuitive if Gaaki were blue and silver over blue and gold.

Just because it can overlap doesn’t mean is should.

Alternatively, there are a pretty small amount of metallic colors widely available, but gold is one of them, so I see why we wouln’t disallow it.

I’d say just leave it up to the voters. Something as noodly and subjective as visual preference if fine to just leave up to popular opinion, especially if neither option looks particularly bad.

I mean honestly yeah, if I were in it :man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I think it should be mandated and treat the final draw as a canon depicton for the whole team. In case is not mandated, it still would almost certainly, probably, definitely win a entry with the full team. But if you mandated it, all would participate in an even field. Worst case scenario, Norik and Iruini could be in the background waving their hands.

Will the contests be simultaneously or we will finish one Toa before passing to the next Hagah? In the latter case, it would be easier to maintain a consistent and symmetric team look.

1 Like

No, but Norik would.

Both mask shape and colour are governed by set rules.

Iruini shows that the Hagah are willing to break colour standardization.

Norik shows that the Hagah are willing to break mask standardization and also impersonate another mask.

So why is it suddenly impossible for the Hagah to be willing to break colour standardization and impersonate another element?

Yes. (Unless a big change happened that I somehow missed)

2 Likes

Any quote?

Red and green Gaaki all the way

As long as she also has Metru blue:

Gaaki being Metru blue and green with red metallic armour is totally canon-compliant.

Christmas Gaaki.

Okay, this is literally the same argument doing a lap of itself.

@AlexanderTG, you clearly have your opinion and it is unlikely any of us at this point will change it (and I’m someone who would rather not see a gold Gaaki & Kualus), likewise I don’t think you’re converting anyone here. At this point I suggest we drop the colour-overlap topic unless anyone has anything substantively new to add.

3 Likes

Onepu, Hahli, Taipu/Hafu etc. have no real reason other than that they simply are. It is not a rule, it has never been. It’s not a contradiction or inconsistency, because it was never, at any single point, said that they couldn’t.

On the other hand, the Hagah have all the reason to because their metallic armor is not natural, it is colored after the precious metal used. Gold is not a standard color for air, silver is not a standard color for fire. It is a status symbol, not colors that are symbolic of their element, and not the colors they had prior to becoming Toa Hagah.

Yes, Toa of Psionics are primarily blue and gold.
Yes, Toa of Light are gold and white.
Yes, Toa of Gravity are primarily purple and black.
Yes, Toa of Magnetism are primarily gunmetal grey and black.
At no point was it ever stated only they could be these colors. And at no point was it ever said that Hafu, Taipu, Hahli, and Onepu’s colors are invalid, or not canon. They are a precedence for overlap existing, there is nothing speaking against that overlap in canon.

Please, give me anything in the story that ever said it is a rule.
And I suggest, this time, you don’t ignore what I’m telling you with some simple comment.

Again, this is never going to happen, because per the current rule it is Metru Blue + one (1) metallic color.

9 Likes

The keetorange + silver + metru blue Gaaki from earlier in this thread would get approved after having certain revisions done to it.

Fair, can still do a secondary color.

It’d be ugly though with RGB color, so wouldn’t get anywhere.

2 Likes

I suggest you reply to the points that I was making and not the ones that you invented. I didn’t say Matoran colours weren’t canon, I didn’t say Hagah armor wasn’t a symbol. I’ve already replied to all the different excuses people had.

No, you haven’t answered this.

What rule exactly?

That they cannot overlap.

1 Like

Just logic, like I said before. You make rules to follow them, not to disregard.

The Hagah have precedent for disregarding both the Kanohi and colour rules, to varying degrees.

1 Like