Toa Hagah Canon Contest Ruleset Feedback

They created the rule for Kanohi. There is still no evidence of mimicking other elements.

This is where Norik’s mask comes in.

The Hagah have been shown to break colour rules in a way that does not mimic another element.

The Hagah have also been shown to break Kanohi rules to the point where they are mimicking another Kanohi.

So why it suddenly impossible (not just unlikely, but impossible) for the Hagah to break colour rules to the point where they are mimicking another element?

Especially since the Hagah’s metallic colour is artificial, and there is evidence of natural colours mimicking other elements.

Who’s “they”?

How about we add this to the rules:

Kualus and Gaaki must have gold armour, and Bomonga must have gunmetal armour.

Solves everything, in my opinion.

5 Likes

Stupid rule tbh

Elemental colors can and do overlap. This has been established since 2001 with Hafu and Taipu, and has been repeatedly established throughout Bionicle’s run.

Anyone who says Gaaki and Kualus cannot be gold is not only wrong, they are flat-out disregarding established Bionicle canon for the sake of their own personal preferences.

I know that this is going to sound harsh, but I have to point this out: arbitrarily restricting canon for the sake of your own personal preferences is the reason many people don’t like the canon contests.

13 Likes

Thanks for the feedback! I’ve fixed all of the issues you’ve mentioned except for the golden shields. I’m not exactly sure what I’m going to do about that, but I’ll figure something out. Also, just to confirm, the only problem with my bomonga’s shoulders was the placement of the gold armor, correct? Also, I ended up switching Gaaki’s and Kualus’s masks, and I actually like them a little better. Anyway, can’t wait for the contest to start, I’m going to leave this topic now, if any rules change that cause problems with my Mocs, (and if you feel like it and remember) just @ me

Edit: also, thank you so much for running these contests, the are what got me back into bionicle, and lego in general. I really appreciate everything you’re doing, so thank you (this is of course to all TTV staff involved in making these contests possible)

Right, let’s just drop the color thing. It clearly isn’t going to go anywhere, and we know what TTV’s response (if any) will be. We shouldn’t even have entertained it this long.

3 Likes

I’m not saying Gaaki and Kualus cannot be gold. I’m suggesting that they shouldn’t be, because it adds more complexity and makes less sense intuitively.

You can’t honestly propose that any BIONICLE fan would see a gold and white Toa and think “Toa of Ice with cool armor” and not “Toa of Light”.

3 Likes

Exactly. So don’t vote for it.

7 Likes

If you make it pearl gold its a g2 Kopaka :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

That’s the plan.

and also add blue, of course.

2 Likes

Not neccesarily the Gold and white is kinda overpowering

… not really

250px-71311_Kopaka_and_Melum_-_Unity_set 250px-Set_Kopaka_Master_of_Ice_Pose

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure that it was a joke.

@Winger To play devil’s advocate, I’d say that Tarix also looks like a water-themed character despite being blue and gold. Still, I would prefer if Gaaki and Kualus didn’t have gold. Overlap between elemental color schemes definetley exists.

5 Likes

The majority especially on 2015 Kopaka is white and gold, the blue is an accent and doesn’t stand out as much to me. Like I wouldn’t describe G2 Kopaka as blue, white and gold. I would only mention Gold and white because that’s what stands out to me

He is from the water tribe

I’ve been doing a lot of thinking, and I’ve changed my mind on the whole “gold Kulaus/Gaaki” thing.

I still think they should be allowed, but not for any of the reasons that anyone has been presenting.

It’s true that there’s precedent for characters mimicking other elements, but where does that stop? Would we have to accept a blue-and-green Orde MOC?

No; all contest characters (including the Hagah) should have to follow the “official” colours assigned to that element. Otherwise we would also have to allow banned masks, because who knows; if there’s an exception to the colour rule, why can’t there also be an exception to the immoral mask rule?

My own argument involving Norik’s mask also doesn’t work, since Kanohi shape is completely at the whim of the mask maker, while colour is a much more ingrained trait.

But this is where my new perspective comes in. Unlike literally every single other character colour, the Hagah’s metallic armour was forged separately from its bearer; it is just as arbitrary as Kanohi shape. It is held to the colour standard exactly as much as Norik’s Kanohi is held to the shape standard.

Rather than comparing the Hagah’s metallic armour to exisitng colour rules, we should be comparing it to existing Kanohi rules.

3 Likes

yes, because I’m not a narc

While technically correct, your argument is, in practice, some of the worst overbearing prunish stickler nerd nonsense imagineable. Following your chain of logic leads to diminishing returns in exchange for a very specific kind of symbolic satisfaction.

1. It’s been proven multiple times in this thread that bionicle characters looking like members of a different element is nothing new.

2. Coincidentally, whenever they DO happen to look like someone of a different element, it’s usually one of the secondary non-mainline ones, which bear little to no narrative significance and were added as padding because of Greg Farshtey’s scatterbrained approach to writing and the fanbase’s desperate bids to place Bionicle, at least in their minds, amongst the pantheon of Great Fictional Universes by filling it with as much incidental Stuff as possible.
    Adding consistency to material that mostly exists as random author notes on message boards and never mattered beyond giving teenage fans the illusion of a developed, interconnected and “mature” work they wouldn’t feel ashamed devoting so much of their time to, should be the lowest priority for anyone who’s not dreadfully boring as a person.

3. Speaking of which, I know that these are “canon, not creativity” contests, but balance should be struck between their stated mission and their role as fun community events.
    I bet you that even the most hardened thread warriors who had valiantly defended obligatory Metru torsos for thousands of posts, would groan in pain if they found out that you can’t dress up Gaaki, a character based on two walking retcons, in fancy armour, because it would commit the cardinal sin of clashing with one of Greg’s many fading largely irrelevant afterthoughts - a sin that like 5 major characters are alredy guilty of.

6 Likes

It’s not an exception since its something already established in canon as willess mentioned earlier:

2 Likes

Yeah, and Kopaka G2 is a toa of ice.

The point is that regardless of lore, a character can still look like they belong to a particular element, even if they’re color schemes aren’t typical for that element.

Where’s the list of “official colors?”

2 Likes

If that’s how you interpret, who am I to disagree?

But accent colors make an incredible impact on any figure.

1 Like