Toa Hagah Canon Contest Ruleset Feedback

Why don’t we just have all pictures of MOCs edited to be grayscale and have the artists sort it out for the last portion? That way, MOCists don’t have to have their creativity constrained by color distribution.

3 Likes

Why don’t we scrap mocs entirely I mean what’s the worst that can happen/s

We see you, a shill in the pocket of Big Artwork!

1 Like

I, ah… yeah, okay, so pretty much we’re just stuck building Hagah clones. What’s the point, exactly? With all these rules the only thing anyone can really change is some armor, a mask, and a spear. That’s hardly worth much.

1 Like

Wait, you mean my Hagah has to look like a Hagah? :rage:

9 Likes

I just don’t see why people feel the need for contests to canonize a few mild differences. Also, yes, mock as you want, but I’d rather see creativity than the same Hagah-look every time.

I can understand wanting creativity, and there are still ways to be creative in this, specifically on the limbs and armor choices. But as others have said, being a canon contest it’s more important for these specific contests to match what already is established as canon rather than a full creativity contest, which there are other opportunities for.

9 Likes

I think the best way I can put this for my own perspective… is I think THIS

Looks better than THIS

I want that CONSISTENCY

11 Likes

I suppose, if you want a canon contest, yes. But if we already know what canon Hagah look like, why do we need one? Why should we hash out each detail instead of leaving it to each fan to interpret individually? Isn’t that part of the fun of having characters without canon appearances?

4 Likes

If you don’t want to know what they look like, you can ignore the results. I was honestly not a big fan of Artakha myself, and thats what I am currently doing. :woozy_face:
Its happening either way though.
Theres actually MANY characters in canon with appearances I am not a fan of. But they’re still canon and its nice to have the models to build regardless

2 Likes

But we don’t know what they look like.

3 Likes

I mean, people do want canon contests, which is why these are happening in the first place. Some people want to keep it vague and up to individual interpretations, others want to determine an exact look and model. These contests are aimed toward the second audience by design. Nothing wrong with wanting to keep it vague, but that’s a different discussion about whether to do these in the first place than on the rules for this contest.

2 Likes

That’s only partially true, and everyone knows it.

4 Likes

I mean, yes, but ultimately I don’t want anyone to “know” what they look like. If you ask me, it’s just… boring. Suppose I want to make a MOC of any of these contest characters at a later time. In my opinion, it would lose weight and interest in the community due to the “canon” design already having been decided. Moreover, I think it reduces the depth of the BIONICLE world to decide so many things left unsaid. It trades intrigue and possibilities for strict detail, which quelches the ambience of mystery.

That much my incredible intellect had already surmised.

We have Iruni and Norik. The rules more or less sound to me like the other Hagah are going to look like them, just with different masks and weapons. The base Hagah appearance, which we do know, won’t change.

There’s nowhere else to air my melodramatic grievances. :stuck_out_tongue: I appreciate your point, though, and I guess I hope it works out for everyone who does want definite appearances.

5 Likes

Yep, which is why I advocated to skip to art, but oh well.

For the Hagah I’m just taking the L and settling for my own headcanon where there are varying designs.

3 Likes

Has there ever been any indication anywhere that such a thing ever would’ve or should’ve been anything other than this?

Art would still show their appearance…?

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

2 Likes

Well, that is what I was arguing for in the first topic, but TTV has decided otherwise.

That, on the other hand … much more debatable.

Er… I mean, there are only so many ways to put the prescribed Metru torso together in the single prescribed way.

Also I think I may have accidentally flagged the post I’m quoting and I definitely did NOT mean to do that. Can you un-flag things…?

3 Likes

I mean, sure. We know what their body shape is. But that’s also one of the least defining aspects of a character.

We also know primary colour.

We know nothing about secondary colours, metallic colours, Kanohi, heights, or widths.

All of which are far more important to a character’s appearance than torso proportions.

Just for reference, this build has been explicitly stated to be allowed:

2 Likes