Toa Hagah Canon Contest Ruleset Feedback

The mask on my artakha wasn’t dual tone?

They said they’re allowing Hydraxon’s mask, yes.

Finally got Biopack downloaded into Stud.io (thanks in no small part to this thread), so I made a prototype Kualus to get used to using Stud.io, and I wanted to get a quick community aggregate on whether it’d be disqualified:

I apologize for the very basic posing in these. This is literally like the third time I’ve ever used Stud.io and I have no idea what I’m doing :stuck_out_tongue: In that second pic he’s supposed to be using the shield as a snowboard, and the spears as ski poles, if it’s not obvious

The second picture I can certainly say would be disqualified, as the spear is broken into two pieces and the shield isn’t being held in a hand. However, I’m only mostly certain the first picture would be as well, as the spear has two tips, and the tip(s) are too small. A confirmation on these either way would be appreciated though. (I can confirm that everything else conforms to exactly how Norik is constructed.)

Also, another question I’ve only thought of now: are the Rhotuka ripcords going to be required to be included in physical/Stud.io MOCs?

5 Likes

:man_shrugging:

3 Likes

I really like the concept, and it looks a lot like my own Kualus so Im a but biased in that regard.

I gotta say though, I think the spear is a bit much. Like a REALLY cool concept and props to you for it, but we don’t have anything in the lore indicating splitting spears/dual function properties for them, so it feels like a slight over reach.

Regardless, I really enjoy the idea, props to you my guy!

2 Likes

This raises an interesting … point.

Anyways, (as you reel from that comedic GENIUS) that MOC raises the question of whether the butt of the spear is allowed to have small additions, such as the piece you used. It would make sense by the way “spear” has been used historically, but that said no other Hagah has it, and it would be hard to coordinate whether a specific team member has a uniquer weapon when entrants are individual.

And yes, “uniquer” is apparently a word.

3 Likes

The whole thing is the same translucent resin, which granted isn’t ideal for the contest either.

It just looks that way cause the top is thinner than the bottom.

In my defense I didn’t think the mask would matter as much since it was gonna be redone with the art contest anyhow

3 Likes

That is still the Artakha of my heart.

To me, the fact that these weapons already have unique powers inherent to them already made them unique enough. I’d be interested to hear what others have to say as well though

More unique aesthetically, I meant.

The masks are worn to honor past heroes. Though not impossible, it’s very unlikely that any “hero” would use something like the Avsa, and the fact that it’d warrant an explanation is probably enough of a hassle to warrant the rule. I don’t think it’s a necessary requirement, but it’s an understandable one.

1 Like

I dunno. I mean, Matoro had a Tryna, but was still a hero. Or they could be honoring a matoran with an immoral mask, since Matoran masks don’t have powers.

Wearing Tryna wasn’t Matoro’s choice.

4 Likes

I don’t see why that’s relevant. Wether he wanted to or not, he wore it, and was a hero.

1 Like

To be fair, he didn’t become the savior of the universe until later. It’s not like he was a hero first that wore the tryna.

We can’t use Matoro as precedent because the mask was “given” to him by Ignika. It is kinda a special occasion. After Matoro Tryna could become a symbol, but not before.

4 Likes

Thanks for the feedback the both of you! And I do agree with both of you that the dual-use, “uniquer” variation doesn’t really have any precedent, hence why I’m fairly certain it’d be disqualified.

As for Winger’s point about no other Hagah spears having an extra bit at the end, I’d tend to agree that precedent dictates that the remaining Hagah’s spears shouldn’t have them either (what with being the filthy canon purist I am :stuck_out_tongue:), although I don’t know whether that would become a strictly enforced rule or not.

To be completely honest I have half a mind to reuse the two existing spear tips and simply recolor them to match their Hagah’s metallic color scheme, but that lack of diversity might be pushing it for even the most canon-compliant community members out there :stuck_out_tongue:

EDIT:

Begun, the Clone Wars have
Looking forward to seeing it once it’s done! Honestly, I think I’ve already decided I’m going to change up about 80% of him anyways, including mask and metallic colors. I was mostly curious about people’s response to the spear.

1 Like

I’d argue that he could be considered a hero even before his sacrafice, thanks to his work as a matoran and toa inika, but I digress.

Just to clarify, I’m not saying that one of the Hagah should be honoring Matoro specifically. I just don’t see why it’s unreasonable to say that in the past, someone wore an immoral mask, but was still a hero.

Matoro is proof that such a thing is possible, but how do we know that he’s a special case?

1 Like

You don’t need Matoro to prove that wearing “bad” mask doesn’t make you a bad person. However the mask is still “bad”.

What if a benevolent matoran wore it? Their mask wouldn’t have any powers, so would it be considered “bad?”

Let’s look at it this way:

Over the entire Bionicle story, only once did we see anyone who was heroic and wore an immoral mask (twice if you count Alternate Teri, I won’t becaus he’s from an AU where the rules are different)

And Matoro has an explanation for why he has that mask. So does white Teri

We’ve never seen anyone with an immoral mask without a detailed explanation.

Giving one of the Hagah an immoral mask “creates” a hero who wore an immoral mask with no explanation.
Giving them a moral mask does not, and they could be honoring any of the number of toa and other heroes we’ve seen with no problem.

For example: let’s say a Toa is honoring someone who wore a Crast
This raises a question: why did that hero wear an immoral mask?
Since we don’t know who that hero was, this is an unanswerable problem.

On the other hand, a Toa is honoring one of the Toa on Jovan’s team with a Hau.
No canon problems created with this scenario.

Having a Hagah wear an immoral mask raises unanswerable questions, while having them wear a moral mask doesn’t.

2 Likes