Toa Hagah Canon Contest Ruleset Feedback

wait wat

What gave you that idea

I don’t think that’d likely be the case, but its the only real reason I think someone would even try it

Well it sure got too close for comfort.

And yet their current rules for the Hagah allow the MoM.

2 Likes

I mean it might have just been an oversight that they’ll change when they see this.

Perhaps, but I’d also like to see the Shelek and Felnas banned for the same reason (if they choose to ban the MoM).

The Mutran Chronicles state that, as of Teridax’s usurpation of Miserix, Miserix already had a “penchant for shapeshifting into exceedingly nasty reptilian creatures”.

Of course, we can’t say for sure that he had taken that exact dragon form before, but we also can’t say he hadn’t.

Although, in any case, the fact that Mutran wasn’t a dragon at the Convocation suggests that it wasn’t his main form anyways, and probably wouldn’t be the shape the Hagah are honouring.

Are you referring to the masks overall, or just the set forms that we currently have?

1 Like

I’m not really concerned, this whole little stretch of conversation seems to be a hard reach. Although I think it could segue to something of a little more true value, creative liberty on redesigning the mutated Makuta masks into non mutated forms for canonizing.

1 Like

How about this rule:

Masks that are in mutated/shapeshifted forms are banned.

Bam, the MoM, Shelek, and Felnas are still technically allowed, without the hassle of a Hagah having a mutated mask.

This would also knock out the hordika masks.

1 Like

Well, both really. The only set forms we have are shapeshifted versions, so their standard shapes are not known. If someone entered a custom mask that was meant to be the standard shape of one of these masks, it wouldn’t be canonized that way. We’re only canonizing the Hagah’s appearance, not what power their mask shape actually corresponds to.

I kinda interpreted @Dag’s original post as making more the point of there being loopholes where there are models that completely conform to the current rules but look nothing like Hagah. Or maybe it was about custom torsos. Who knows, I’m not paying super close attention right now, those Cornell Notes aren’t going to write themselves.

1 Like

Masks should not count into the height restrictions, yeah.

4 Likes

mindstorms mohawk, here I come!

1 Like

but then someone could enter a customer mask that’s 12 studs tall!

That’d be DQ’d by rule 11.

2 Likes

drat…

They really though of everything didn’t they?

1 Like

Yeah, for sure. I was already kind of assuming this as a given, but I suppose the rules (as they currently stand) don’t actually address it.

Although Lhikan-style variants should still be allowed. (Or what if someone put a scope on a Hau?)

I think we need a final answer from TTV on this.

The rules give TTV the power to recognize a custom Mask of Emulation and disqualify it (which makes sense), so why can’t they also recognize a custom base shape of another mask?

I get that a completely new, uninspired-by-anything-else shape will remain powerless, but we need a definitive answer on the power recognition status of custom variants of existing masks.

3 Likes

I agree: TTV uses their eyes and their brains. even Eljay has one

If a mask is clearly meant to be an unmutated Crast, it’s DQ’d.

If a mask is clearly meant to be an unmutated Shelek, it’s allowed, but isn’t canonically the shape of the Shelek. Most people will head canon it as such.

If it’s not based on any existing mask, it’s just unknown.

3 Likes

It’s not strictly about being custom. 3D printed Masks of Emulation try to accurately recreate the exact mask as shown in the comic. A custom Shelek, for example, that was made to be it’s non-shapeshifted version wouldn’t be canonically certain since it’s never appeared as non-shapeshifted before.

Just because a mask has visual similarities to another mask does not mean it is a variant of that mask, like the Mask of Charisma looking very much like an adapted Hau Nuva.

2 Likes

wait, that’s the prereq for being in TTV?

you just crushed all my hopes and dreams

4 Likes

I think one good measure to go on here is what the original artist intended. This would for instance stop the “death of the author” situations where someone might use a mask intended by the author as a Mask of Clairvoyance for Gaaki, rendering it anything but the Mask of Clairvoyance.

Exactly. This sort of stuff isn’t really much of an issue. We’re not dealing with AI, we’re dealing with humans who can tell what is within reason.

6 Likes

I don’t see how an entry wearing the MoM would be DQ’d on the basis of Rule 11. I agree it looks absolutely ridiculous and shouldn’t be allowed to enter, hence why I brought attention to it. The MoM is not on their list of banned masks, and the only known shape of it is Miserix’s version, so as things are, it’s fair game. Same goes with the Shelek and certainly the Felnas.