Toa Hagah Canon Contest Ruleset Feedback

I’m not arguing it should be DQ’d by rule 11; I brought up rule 11 regarding 12-stud tall masks and the like. The Mom, Shelek, and Pakari (their mutated forms, i mean) should be DQ’d by a “no mutated mask” rule

Pakari?

Also, if the Mom is getting DQ’d, then so should the Dad :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Only 1 good rule: no metallic colors are treated as illegal. But everything else in this is cursed. Especially Mask of Emulation rule

The MoM is obviously an extreme case of shapeshifting.
For the Felnas, we don’t know what the original form looks like besides not having the stinger. Given that you can’t modify pieces, allowing it in the MOC and removing the stringer in the art I guess makes a bit of sense… (though I’d argue it is more shapeshifted than that).
The Shelek is dubious. I’d like to say the teeth are from shapeshifting on the Great, and a result of the mutations done by Mutran on the Noble, but I’ve got no quote to back that up. Best I’ve got is that Radiak fights with his teeth, which doesn’t make much sense if they’re part of the mask, that Antroz had fangs which he used his poison power through, and that Mutran is noted to have fangs, which suggests they’re not normal. The first two points apply to the Jutlin, but I assume all the Phantoka-Makuta masks fall under the same ruling in this regard.

5 Likes

What are your specific problems with the rules? If you raise good points, the rules could actually be changed.

4 Likes

I meant the Felnas, not sure where my brain got the Pakari.

Similarly, if it’s intended by the moddeler to be an unmutated Crast, for example, it should be disallowed.

3 Likes

The mask of emulation rule is based off of canon (which in the rules they link multiple cases of Greg saying that the Hagah have masks that do not reflect the power of their masks). This is a canon contest, so it only makes sense that the rules would enforce something already determined to be canon.

2 Likes

Greg said lots of things like silver-armored Iruinu or Metru blue Helryx.

In the first case, he forgot what a set looked like. In the latter, he later allowed the character’s canon design to be Mata blue, so the contest overrides the earlier description, which was written before she even had a design.

5 Likes

He later clarified he was misremembering.

No, he said “dark” blue. That’s a subjective term. Helryx is darker than Gali Mata’s secondary colour, for example.

(Plus, no one found that quote until after the contest was over. I assure you it would have been included if it were found at the time)

4 Likes

Which he clarified was a mistake. Bad example.

Technically, he said dark blue. And it was as opposed to light blue.

4 Likes

Thing about Mask of Emulation is kinda “this shouldn’t be a thing”

People have canon design for maks, and they will orient on it, BUT
Lots of models out there are different enough to call them different design. TTV still kills them, just because they are based on something than “can’t” be a canon

Greg is also the one making this whole charade canon, bud.

6 Likes

Uh…what is your point, exactly? I genuinely have no idea what you’re trying to say. There are things that explicitly cannot be canon as of now. You can’t make Kualus purple, you can’t give Pouks a shotgun, you can’t make Gaaki a Muaka, and you can’t break established rules. This is a canon contest, so it makes no sense to deliberately let people trample on canon we already have.

6 Likes

Nope, he’s one who wrote books, and guy who was kind of community manager - contacting fans on forums and so on. But, until end of Bionicle, he wasn’t only one who was making canon. And stuff after this… I highly doubt that it even can be considered as canon (including those contests)

I mean, if the 3d mask design is based on the canon mask of emulation, it makes sense it would not be allowed unless it was only light inspiration and the majority of the mask was different.

Pink Thunder-thighs Pouks with a big shotgun when?

3 Likes

Greg decides what is and isn’t canon, especially right now. What he says is law. If he says that Pouks doesn’t have a Mask of Emulation in its standard shape, then he does not. I don’t get what’s so hard to understand.

3 Likes

Metallic purple kualus go.

Not this again…

I have a proposal: only preexisting, unmodified masks are allowed. We have 30 of them, that’s still plenty of options.

1 Like

If they’re really that different, we won’t have a problem.

But stylization also has to be taken into account. The set Hau looks different from the comic Hau, which looks different from the movie Hau, yet they’re all clearly a Hau.

It’s also worth keeping in mind that Kanohi all have very distinct shapes; if there is even a chance that something could be recognized as a Mask of Emulation, it’s probably a Mask of Emulation.

And it’s also worth keeping in mind Rule 11. I find it very difficult to believe that anyone will see the “no Mask of Emulation” rule, and then decide to use a Shapeways model labelled “Mask of Emulation” with the honest belief that it’s different enough to not count as a Mask of Emulation.

If that’s what you believe, then that’s fine. But this also really isn’t the place for you.

You can’t step into a topic about the details of a canonization contest and say “these canon contests shouldn’t have to follow canon because I don’t think they’re canon” and expect to be taken seriously.

5 Likes

The Mask of Mutation is an extreme case, as it neither works like a mask (In that it can be attached to a Mata, Metru, Avotoran, or Tohunga head), nor is it built like a mask (Most of which are a single part), or is even the default form of the mask in question (Being heavily shapeshifted due to Miserix’s transformation). Using it also produces an absurd-looking model of a Toa with a gigantic dragon head, because the Hagah are mid-sized sets in Metru scale, and Miserix is a giant-sized MOC in Inika scale.

IMO no rule patch is necessary here. It can be safely Rule 11’d. Half the point of Rule 11’s vagueness and being in the eye of TTV Staff is so they don’t need to make overly specific rules to block out every permutation of dumb loophole abuse.

Meanwhile, Iruini wearing a Kualsi-shaped Kualsi is the exception, and has been the exception ever since it was canonised as the default shape of the mask. If Pouks also wore an MoE-shaped MoE, then that’d be a pattern, and it’d be annoyingly convenient and contrived.

Given that Pouks’ mask is canonically not shaped like the Mask of Emulation, then I think banning the use of MoE replicas is a good thing, because it avoids a situation where we have canon lore saying that the man himself doesn’t have a MoE-shaped MoE while canon images show him with just that.

4 Likes