Toa Hagah, Makuta's Guard (Bionicle Canon Contest #3: Honor Guard, Part 2)

Hello! Here’s my art entry!

This scene depicts the Hagah guarding a Makuta fortress in a valley carved by lava. They stand guard at the arrival of an unseen foe and Kualus summons some Fikou friends in preparation. Storm clouds loom above foreshadowing the battle to come.

I kept the speartips the same because I though that they matched the character of the mocs well, but I changed the masks for gaaki and pouks. I went for gunmetal instead of keeping the metallic blue because I felt that as protectors of Makuta their armor would be darker to reflect that as opposed to colorful metals.

Gaaki’s Mask:

This is a mask I designed a long time ago and I’m repurposing it because the designer of gaaki’s moc wanted the mask to be changed. I felt this had a similar feeling to that mask, but was different enough. I’ve included the model below, but I’m fine with it changing a little based on interpretation.

Pouks’ Mask:

This mask is perp3tual’s design for pouks, I have it modeled, but I haven’t released it publicly yet because Perp3tual has not made his edits to the 3d model yet.

Process:
I did this all in watercolor and ink on a large sheet of watercolor paper.

1. Initial sketch
  2. inked
  3. Watercolor pencil
  4. Watercolor + more inking

Thank you!

52 Likes

This is some beautiful art. I’m in love with the Fikous surrounding Kualus and was honestly hoping someone would do something like that. Best of luck!

3 Likes

Those fikous are gonna get stumped. Crunchy.

Beautiful work though! I love those mask choices you made

1 Like

Really fantastic job you’ve done with the watercolour!

2 Likes

Nice, I like the way it looks.

1 Like

I didn’t know you did 2d art but that background is amazing! Also you should change the topic from “creative-content” to "art.

1 Like

This is my favorite entry so far. Gaaki’s mask looks a bit weird at first glance, but I feel I could get used to it! I just like to colors and composition; it’s easy to see everyone, and you’ve chosen a unique landscape to set the picture in. Good job, king!

1 Like

Thanks, I think I remember you commenting on some of my art from previous contests.

1 Like

oh guess I forgot, your Artakha still looks good

1 Like

One of the top 2 for me right now!
Very athmospheric and straight up a scene from the canon story.

1 Like

Thanks, I’m looking forward to seeing all the other rahi that will accompany Kualus in the other entries. So far I’ve only seen a few, but I hope there will be more!

Crunchy indeed, but the fikou horde will prevail!

3 Likes

Thanks for keeping Gaaki’s spear tip :trident: idk how i’d feel if the spear tip changed right after buying it on bricklink Lol

3 Likes

Kualus fixed with Black upper arms just in case.

2 Likes