Time Would Bring Transformations (Bionicle Canon Contest #3: Honor Guard, Part 2)

There are only 14 other entries; everything I mentioned can be noticed just skimming through them.
It aint my job to moderate the contest, I’m just calling you out for not doing yours very diligently.

If retroactively subjecting already accepted entries to the same level of scrutiny is the path you wanna go down, instead of easing up on this one that is considerably less egregious, knock yourself out.

20 Likes

I believe you are being told to step off, sir, and not make this unnecessarily difficult.

7 Likes

I’m just gonna sit to the side of this conversation and keep working on tweaking Kualus, I think I’ve got the color pretty much matched now.

13 Likes

I wouldn’t have thought that the colour needed to be changed, but I will say that I prefer this over the original.

3 Likes

I love the stylisation of some of the parts very nice :slight_smile:
The smooth shading looks amazing and the poses are on point. Would not mind at all if this was the winning pic.

3 Likes

on a list of things that are it, chief, this ain’t

but since you asked, check out this, this, this, this, and maybe this and decide if this is the entry you want to make a stink about when it was a complete non-issue in the first place

9 Likes

What exactly do you have an issue with here? The mods asking for help with noticing issues after being criticized for how they did it previously?

You’re going to have to be more specific; I’m looking for issues, just the same as you, and I’m not seeing anything in the ones you linked. I’m not saying you’re wrong, but I’m definitely going to need some help to see the rule infractions that you’re seeing.

1 Like

And I’m upset because Eljay, upon being told to either shove off with a minor issue literally nobody else, original moccist included, thought was a problem or be more consistent with his moderation, gave @SubParFauxPas a warning on the grounds of “behavioral rules”.

10 Likes

There’s a right way to say this, and there’s a wrong way to say this.

If you’re going to criticize the way the mods are vetting entries (which is honestly a valid criticism) and claim that it’s super easy to do, the right way to respond to being asked for help isn’t “not my problem, do your job”.

2 Likes

asking for help is one thing - having dedicated people to help vet entries is something that would probably help. asking for help after punishing a user for doing absolutely nothing wrong is another. we’re snippy with Eljay because he’s going about this horribly

also why are you going to bat for an authority figure who could have averted the whole situation but actively chooses not to

7 Likes

I didn’t notice that kualus’ upper arms were supposed to be black until just now, should I fix it on my entry?

We’ll have to see, I suppose - We’ll see if Eljay decides to double down or allow people to have that unchanged.

3 Likes

Here’s what I don’t get: nobody said anything about the scarf until now. Either nobody noticed, or nobody thought it really mattered because it was just a lighting or stylistic choice. That should indicate that the slight change to the scarf simply doesn’t matter.

The change has been made, and what’s done is done, but we should still call into question the fact that similar scrutiny has not been applied to other entries with other notable creative liberties. This isn’t really about the scarf, it’s about consistency.

As @SubParFauxPas mentioned, some Kualus submissions omit the Slizer foot in his torso, which is actually a very important part of the build because it helps keep his chestpiece in place. This change is far bigger than the slightly different value of his scarf in this submission, yet there seems to have been no action taken against it. That’s just one thing that some entries do which Kualus’s very designer has already pointed out.

Every entry should be evaluated and treated in the same way. Pointing out an error in upholding this standard should not be considered an attack on the moderators or TTV itself, merely a valid criticism whose sole purpose is to encourage fairness to the entrants. That’s the only thing that matters here.

16 Likes

To be fair, shape changes seem to be allowed under art style, but apparently a slight color discrepancy (the scarf) is more important than one that is literally the opposite of the original (the upper arms).

6 Likes

It should be easy to change in photoshop, luckily its not the opposite where Black needs to be changed to white

2 Likes

I was under the impression that the warning was handed out for the “It’s only 14 entries, do your job” jab, rather than questioning the change request in the first place. Of course, I don’t know what other messages have been sent, so maybe I’m wrong.

I would definitely prefer that this be a requested change, but it gets tricky because of the precedent set by Helryx. In both cases, an aspect of the build was changed from black to the primary colour.

Of course, that kind of leeway doesn’t really mesh with the colour change request for the scarf.

I think for future contests (and maybe also this one?), the rules need to implement a far more objective guideline for what kind of changes are and aren’t allowed. I understand that that could get a little tricky with subjective things like stylization, but there are a number of objective aspects that have been treated inconsistently. At the very least, we need to get squared away on what can and cannot be changed about the colour scheme from the MOC to the Art.

1 Like

That certainly seems to be the case, but I’ll hold to the fact that @SubParFauxPas did nothing wrong. Oh and by the way, it is only 14 entries, and if you’re going to sign on to something, you should do your job and not ask the users to do the work for you without them signing on. Yes, it’s clear that this whole contest stuff spiraled out of the scope TTV was prepared for, but the TTV mods could literally just choose people to do the vetting for them so they don’t have to do 14 billion things on the boards/youtube/other socials while also trying to get minute problems fixed.

5 Likes

Perhaps my reply really was distasteful or disrespectful, and I shouldn’t have snapped back - I can certainly see how shifting responsibility and accusing someone of not doing their job - could be taken as such, so I’ll concede that one of the two warnings I received for the same reply is justified.
That said - hurt feelings aside - that’s not even what happened here. I wasn’t shifting responsibility as it was never mine to begin with, and I did not make any claims that aren’t very clearly substantiated.

It is not my problem. I’m under no obligation to help the TTV staff with running this contest and vetting entries, nor was even more nit-picking the take-away from my message that I intended.

Evidently, they were not vetted thoroughly enough if something as trivial and subjective as the scarf on this entry being a few shades too dark relative to the rest of the illustration was egregious enough to warrant asking @Ar9914 to change it under the implied threat of disqualification, in order to “be a bit closer to the original entry” - yet none of the other entrants had been asked to correct their far more impactful changes to the original designs.
From the outside looking in, Ar9914 is being held to a completely different set of standards to all the other contestants. I felt like stepping in because I’ve seen this happen time and time again throughout these contests, and I’m sick of it, to be quite frank. I’ve not been happy with the way these contests have been managed - specifically with the unequal/inconsistent enforcement of “unwritten rules”, and that is never going to change if it isn’t brought to attention when it rears it’s ugly head.

Still, in my 2nd warning:

Eljay seems adamant that my assessment is factually incorrect, and given that I was already warned for my Behavioural Rules violation in that sentence - I can only assume this additional warning issued minutes after the first is either because I was apparently wrong, or its something personal - so consider this my appeal:

I can completely understand how previous rule-breaking entries slipped by in past contests due to the sheer number of submissions - especially in the first half of this contest - yielding about 400 entries - but in this half there have been a total of 15 submissions at this point in time. It’s been over 6 weeks.

Maybe this was the only “error” TTV noticed? A totally valid and understandable explanation, and likely the answer - but if it is, then I shouldn’t have to point out how that’s not a great example of being “very diligent” in vetting these submissions.

The only explanation I’m left with as to how this even happened - that still closely aligns with the assertion I was factually incorrect is:
TTV did in fact notice all the inaccuracies and unspoken-rule-breaking changes in the other entries, but opted to not take any action - yet, were compelled to mandate that this one changes the shade of dark tan used on a character’s accessory anyway.
Sure, it may have been an easy fix, hardly an inconvenience to the artist - and maybe that’s why they chose to request it, whereas with other entries, the “fixes” would be more complicated… and while that’s an endearingly considerate hypothetical; it’s still not being diligent and fair - in this case being profoundly pedantic over a non-issue - and would make asking someone to point out the other entries that should also be corrected an absurd request.

Eljay, If I hit a nerve in my last reply, and that’s why this escalated - I apologize. I’m grateful I can participate in these contests and discussions, and I don’t doubt for a second that managing something of this scope, in your own time, with so many expectations from so many people would be incredibly stressful. I’ve seen the incessant messages one particular user was suspended over, and more than a few comments around the community about how these are being handled and I know I wouldn’t want to be at the centre of that kind of criticism either.

But don’t take it out on me with a flagrant abuse of power for pointing out injustice in what should be a fair and fun contest, and refusing to do what it is you claim to already be doing - and punish me for questioning - for you.

25 Likes

@Eljay If you’re going to be this nitpicky about how the characters look, and this is not even the first instance of the rules being inconsistently applied, maybe instead of running the canon contests in the first place, make your own interpretations of the characters. If it upsets you so much to see what other people do to these characters, why would you invite other moccists and artists to insert their interpretation to begin with with these contests? Time and time again I have seen these canon contests devolve into a mess because of mismanagement, and I have to return to the idea that things would be better off if the idea of a canon contest never happened. I think you are taking things way too far by nitpicking over a character’s scarf being the wrong shade of dark tan, and the fact that you would issue two warnings for the same post on someone for daring to question your judgment really says a lot about how you handle criticism. We’re all saying you should dial it back, and not make a big deal out of this, maybe you should listen to reason.

Coward.

Don’t double post. -Eljay

1 Like

Gonna pop in here real quick (while we discuss the rest of these posts) to let you know that a member of the boards flagged your post, the system automatically hid it, and I unhid it.

Also, don’t double post.

We’re discussing everything else. I’d encourage everyone to refrain from further comments unrelated to the entry for the time being. We’ll get back to you all in time. :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes