Time Would Bring Transformations (Bionicle Canon Contest #3: Honor Guard, Part 2)

YO! Love this so much.
This is my top pick.

shame Bomonga isn’t green here - bringing all their armour colours in line with the metallic colours used for the 01/02 canisters, and the Krana-Kal… But the brighter shade of gold suits him well.

Best of luck in the contest!

3 Likes

So, I thought I’d try green Bomonga out, especially after realizing it correlates to the bohrok canisters (I’m pretty sure someone told me that before, but it didn’t quite click with me until now rip). I still much prefer gold bomonga so I won’t be changing my entry, but I thought I might as well upload a version of it so the people who want it can have it. Having tinted him purple already just makes him feel like discount Hulk now.

19 Likes

Thank you so much for entering! This looks phenomenal.

The one thing we need to request is a modification to the color of the scarf. It’s minor, and some may view it as nit-picky, bit if you could adjust it to be a bit closer to the color of the original entry, that would be much appreciated!

Anytime before the entry period ends would be fantastic. Thank you!

6 Likes

Ah that’s a shame, I really liked that scarf color. But sure, I’ll have an updated version up soon

2 Likes

I’m sure you’ve got your reasons for singling this one out and requesting it be changed, and not the handful of other entries that portray kualus with the completely incorrect coloured upper arms/hands/eyes, omit the lenses in the mask or the slizer foot beneath the chestplate entirely, or don’t have the scarf actually covering the bottom of mask…

And those are just the changes people have made to Kualus that I’ve noticed, don’t get me started on Pouks…

But the colour of the cloth element used is Lego’s “dark tan”, which is how I for one would still describe the colour of the scarf in this piece.
In reality, It’s a mere millimetre thick, so light passes through it easily, making it seem lighter on the moc.

I while I agree that here it probably is still a little too dark anyway, (just looks like it’s lit differently to the rest of the piece, not even that it’s the wrong colour), I don’t think requesting it be changed while other entrants aren’t also being asked to correct their more significant changes to the model is very fair.

19 Likes

If you’ve got a list, instead of the vague references to them existing, tag us. Point them out. It’s a lot more helpful.

1 Like

There are only 14 other entries; everything I mentioned can be noticed just skimming through them.
It aint my job to moderate the contest, I’m just calling you out for not doing yours very diligently.

If retroactively subjecting already accepted entries to the same level of scrutiny is the path you wanna go down, instead of easing up on this one that is considerably less egregious, knock yourself out.

20 Likes

I believe you are being told to step off, sir, and not make this unnecessarily difficult.

7 Likes

I’m just gonna sit to the side of this conversation and keep working on tweaking Kualus, I think I’ve got the color pretty much matched now.

13 Likes

I wouldn’t have thought that the colour needed to be changed, but I will say that I prefer this over the original.

3 Likes

I love the stylisation of some of the parts very nice :slight_smile:
The smooth shading looks amazing and the poses are on point. Would not mind at all if this was the winning pic.

3 Likes

on a list of things that are it, chief, this ain’t

but since you asked, check out this, this, this, this, and maybe this and decide if this is the entry you want to make a stink about when it was a complete non-issue in the first place

9 Likes

What exactly do you have an issue with here? The mods asking for help with noticing issues after being criticized for how they did it previously?

You’re going to have to be more specific; I’m looking for issues, just the same as you, and I’m not seeing anything in the ones you linked. I’m not saying you’re wrong, but I’m definitely going to need some help to see the rule infractions that you’re seeing.

1 Like

And I’m upset because Eljay, upon being told to either shove off with a minor issue literally nobody else, original moccist included, thought was a problem or be more consistent with his moderation, gave @SubParFauxPas a warning on the grounds of “behavioral rules”.

10 Likes

There’s a right way to say this, and there’s a wrong way to say this.

If you’re going to criticize the way the mods are vetting entries (which is honestly a valid criticism) and claim that it’s super easy to do, the right way to respond to being asked for help isn’t “not my problem, do your job”.

2 Likes

asking for help is one thing - having dedicated people to help vet entries is something that would probably help. asking for help after punishing a user for doing absolutely nothing wrong is another. we’re snippy with Eljay because he’s going about this horribly

also why are you going to bat for an authority figure who could have averted the whole situation but actively chooses not to

7 Likes

I didn’t notice that kualus’ upper arms were supposed to be black until just now, should I fix it on my entry?

We’ll have to see, I suppose - We’ll see if Eljay decides to double down or allow people to have that unchanged.

3 Likes

Here’s what I don’t get: nobody said anything about the scarf until now. Either nobody noticed, or nobody thought it really mattered because it was just a lighting or stylistic choice. That should indicate that the slight change to the scarf simply doesn’t matter.

The change has been made, and what’s done is done, but we should still call into question the fact that similar scrutiny has not been applied to other entries with other notable creative liberties. This isn’t really about the scarf, it’s about consistency.

As @SubParFauxPas mentioned, some Kualus submissions omit the Slizer foot in his torso, which is actually a very important part of the build because it helps keep his chestpiece in place. This change is far bigger than the slightly different value of his scarf in this submission, yet there seems to have been no action taken against it. That’s just one thing that some entries do which Kualus’s very designer has already pointed out.

Every entry should be evaluated and treated in the same way. Pointing out an error in upholding this standard should not be considered an attack on the moderators or TTV itself, merely a valid criticism whose sole purpose is to encourage fairness to the entrants. That’s the only thing that matters here.

16 Likes

To be fair, shape changes seem to be allowed under art style, but apparently a slight color discrepancy (the scarf) is more important than one that is literally the opposite of the original (the upper arms).

6 Likes