Toa Helryx, the Leader of Order of Mata Nui (ver.Bu)

Hello, friends!
I really LOVE Helryx’s design, so I respect @TheUnderscoredDouble, and @Mister-N!
and I enjoyed Double’s MOC-model with @Galva_Nize’s Mask of Psychometry, but I remember a N’s post.
(here)
mn
as my reply, I personally like to use “semi-canon MOC” and canon-design mask in same, as “Set edition” of her.
However, I thought I should also pay homage to Mister-N.
he is the Winner, and his design had become canon.
So I felt that I must built Helryx with not simpley Semi-canon once.

This is a expression of my respect: Thank you for Great design, Mister-N and Double!

Sorry to long-talk! OK, please see my new MOC!

【Toa Helryx- “Canon-rise” ver.】

【Concept】
The Canon-Helryx has some defferent point with MOC-Helryx.

• Canon hasn’t blue-Carapar’s armor at arms.
  • Blue wrist
  • Defferent proportions:include hip and Lowhead like Mahri-Matoro
  • Shield’s direction
  • Pipe’s placement
  • Mace’s range

So I tried these into designs!

and She can carry mace on her back, just like Canon-art!

【Mask of Psychometry】
I made two Mask for her.
One is “Clean”, and One is “Damaged” version!

In N’s art, the mask always has a large scar on right eye.
Including this, I reproduced the scratches drawn on the mask design drawing as much as possible.

Thank you for seeing! :blush: :blush: :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts:

99 Likes

Very nice revamp! It does a really good job of recreating the art.

And it looks like the stability and possibility have been improved too, so that’s good.

5 Likes

What are you basing this claim off of?

Neither of Helryx’s forearms are visible in the final art, but it seems like a pretty big leap to assume that they were completely changed from the MOC. I’d imagine that the intentional exclusion of the large forearms would be grounds for disqualification. Besides:

There’s clearly blue behind her shield, which isn’t there in your build.

That said, this is still a very good build. The knee articulation is integrated very well; I didn’t even notice they were different at first.

I especially love the attention to detail in the battle damage on the mask.

Perfect. That’s a feature I wish more sets had.

(Also, how did I not notice the flipped shield until now?)

8 Likes

Thank you @Atobe_Brick!
I really glad to finish this MOC! :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts:

Thank you @TheJerminator!
I think that blue-part is her wrist, please look closely this.

I looked her as this.
───
and This is boring talk, plaease forgive me.
I don’t think it will not become to reason of disqualification.
because Art inspire from MOC, and it doeson’t mean “it must parfectly-same”.
and it got many people’s favorite in fact.
I really LOVE Artakha’s canon-design, but If it is so, I think he also shall be disqualification:because his coat’s design. it defferent design, shape, and long.
but I and people like me never capsizing his honor:he won by many people’s will.
(I partically agree some opinion of “too tight Rules may limit creative”, but this is difficult theme in eternity. So I disagree to eraseing anyone’s victory. it may makes “a Riot by someone’s dislikes” again.)
───
And Thank you to you said so that! :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:
it is very difficult to this gimmick, but I’m glad it works! :blush: :blush: :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts:

15 Likes

Yeah, you might be right.

4 Likes

and I forgot saying this:

Thank you for comment to “Damaged” Mask! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
This is very difficult, because I must polish and erase its layer-marking on nose(I didn’t want to make it an excuse as a “scar”)! :wink: :wink: :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts:

4 Likes

He’s definitely right.

@Bukkey
Great job on the mask!

3 Likes

How have you made those scars? Outstanding work!
Very nice MOC too, I only miss Carapar armor, but othervise great.

3 Likes

Love how you’ve scuffed up the mask, very nice!

3 Likes

Now this looks both good, accurate to the art, and like it won’t die to a stiff breeze. And like a Toa.

Excellent work!

9 Likes

Yup, new headcanon right here.

Any chance of instructions for this version?

10 Likes

Great work! I’m impressed in how much you changed the build, but maintain the look almost the same.

2 Likes

I usually don’t like it when mocs take the hunched neck away from characters that have them especially if it’s matoro, but I think this moc is better for it.

How stable are the knee joints? they seem like they would be a little fragile.

5 Likes

Phenomenal Moc. I think that custom masks tend to look unappealing, I’d have to search for the exact words to voice my discontent with them. But this mask looks fine, It’s not too busy or textured weirdly. I think it could pass as an official LEGO piece. I also like that you were discreet with how you touched up the canon model. The tubing and the spindly limbs really sell the prototype/early model design of Helryx, and I like that you preserved those. I know the contest is over and has received Greg’s seal of approval, but I would not be against this being accepted as an update to the official model.

4 Likes

Wow simple but great upgrades! Fantastic 10/10

3 Likes

Whaaaaat that’s insanely cool

The attention to detail you’ve put into this is astounding. Especially with the way you’ve recreated the specific scratches and authentic battle damage on the mask.

This reminds me of the “Miramax-style MoCs” people sometimes do, where they take a styllized canon depiction of the character and recreate it more accurately than the set that inspired said depiction. You’ve done an exceptional job.

I will quietly echo this sentiment. :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

Now this is the canon Helryx, in my eyes, and it’s impossible to change my opinion!

The model has a very impressive stature and proportions, your Helryx actually looks like a dangerous warrior, not like an old lady with joint pain. I like that you got rid of the overly bulky Carapar armour on the lower arms and made it more accurate to Mister-N’s artwork overall.
It also seems like there’s plenty of articulation, I wonder if it’s possible to put her in the same pose as in the official artwork?
The way that you did the knees is genius, they look almost identical to the original model, but have actual articulation.

No matter how I look at this model, it looks perfect, but my favourite thing about it should be the stability. It looks like it won’t annihilate itself from a slight sneeze as opposed to the original model.

The mask with battle-damage is nice too.

7 Likes

Thank you @Takutanuva! :revolving_hearts:

Thank you @Lesnichiy!:revolving_hearts:
I used mini-motored-drill for crafting, and After carving, I polished it!
(MoP’s scars are made by thousand battles, so they must be “old scars”. then By making the scratches “smooth”, I wanted to express that more years have passed since the moment they were made!) :wink: :revolving_hearts:

Thank you @N01InParticular!:revolving_hearts:
Yeah I think it is unique good point of Shapeways’ Mask:We can custom it with no concerns! :wink: :wink: :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts:

Thank you @ToaArcan! :revolving_hearts:
I think Double’s original design is perfect as “Prototype Toa”, but also N’s canon-design is very cool!

Thank you @Pakari!:revolving_hearts:
I’m glad to you said so! :wink: :wink:
I will share inst later!

Thank you @Huemus!:revolving_hearts:
the only thing is I can’t same doing with original at neck, for If I did it simply, it won’t works well to LEGO-Parts againt N’s arrange,so I prioritized her Proportion! :wink: :wink:

Thank you @ToaOfPlastic!:revolving_hearts:
Yes, knee is little fragile. but it enogh hold power as Action figure!
and If you’re OK, this connection Fixes the wobbling of the shin armor.

If you insert robber pin(Caterpillar holder) to Liftarm, it holds connector’s head and stops wobbling! :wink: :revolving_hearts:

Thank you @TheChronicler! :revolving_hearts:
WOW, I’m so glad to you said! :heart_eyes:
I wanted to Fix Custom-mask’s color and its skin, and I’m happy to You noticed that point!
but This MOC based on Double and N’s works. if they doesn’t exsit, I didn’t built this! :wink: :revolving_hearts: :revolving_hearts:

Thank you @Eilrach!:revolving_hearts:

Thank you @Toa-of-Snow!:revolving_hearts:
wow, everyone Compliments my scratched mask! I’m so glad! :heart_eyes: :revolving_hearts:

befor painting, I polished the masks for erasing its layer-marking on nose and mouth(scar varsion too)
this is very difficult work, but I’m glad to it liked everyone!
And I will share Inst later something way! :wink:

@Thank you @NOTaHFfan! :revolving_hearts:
Yes, She can alomst same posing with N’s canon-Art! :wink: :revolving_hearts:I will take reproduced Picture of it later, when shareing inst.
When building this, I was careful to make it as an “action figure”.
and glad to you noticed that point! :blush: :blush:

16 Likes

I am stunned! So this is what Helryx really looks like in set form… or rather in person.
I just can’t look away from it - this is Helryx perfection :ok_hand:
Amazing job!

2 Likes

What 3D printer did you use to make the mask?

2 Likes