Toa Kualus, Rahi Master, Canon Contest #3 (Honor Guard)

Toa Kualus!

This version of Toa Kualus uses gunmetal gray armor and a mix of inika and mahri armor and shins to differentiate himself from the other Toa Hagah. His claw shaped subzero spear is meant to act as a guard against rahi. His chest armor is shaped like a ribcage and is inspired by his connection to rahi with his mask of rahi control. I was inspired by the style of the 2004 and 2005 comics for the drawing.

Kanohi
His Kanohi is based on the mask of vision from the Voya Nui Online Game. I didn’t want him to have a scope like other toa of ice. I modeled it on tinkercad. It still has some issues I need to fix though.
vision mask_2

Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 3.59.28 PM Screen Shot 2021-05-18 at 3.59.46 PM

Model links for anyone interested:

Process:
I began by modeling Kualus with spare parts.

Color consistency issues with my parts collection are a major part of why I drew Kualus instead of submitting a MOC.

Height Comparison:

He’s the same height as Iruini.

Photoshop edit

Ink Drawing

Coloring

I give consent for my mask to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: (Yes)
I give consent for my metallic color choice to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: (Yes)
I give consent for my spear tip to be altered in the final group art if the artist chooses: (Yes)

Thank you!

33 Likes

The competition finally got its first art entry… and I really like it. The use of the Mask of Vision (or Mask of Range, I should say) is especially nice; it’s certainly one of the less commonly known mask designs.

2 Likes

Very unique yet fitting shoulder armor; it helps him stand out while maintaining his team membership. Really neat to see you pull up such an obscure mask. It may not be the first art entry, but it is still nice to see it amongst so many models. Good job, and good luck.

1 Like

Great art and design!

1 Like

Intersting, you don’t see many ink drawings like that. The Kanohi is a little strange to me, the shading makes him look slightly confused. Overall fantastic artwork.

2 Likes

Great! I wanted to see someone remodel the vision mask!

1 Like

Actually, someone made an art piece a few days ago
(coincidentally they’re both depicting Kualus)

@Rothanak this looks great! Good luck in the polls!

1 Like

Neat drawing, good luck

2 Likes

Huh, lots of people draw Kualus. I think he’s the only Toa I’ve seen with art entries so far.
I don’t think the spear really works, the tip being at an angle, it feels like it would snap off if he tried to poke something with it, or at least would lack force.

1 Like

I didn’t really intend it for poking. I was thinking it could act for like a tool for herding rahi, almost like a shepherd and his staff. The part is reinforced enough that I think it would still have strength and force even being at an angle. Kinda like a rake. But I did give the option to change the spear tip in the next part of the competition.

2 Likes