Toa Nidhiki or Dark Hunter "Traitor" v.1.5 (Shoulder Mods)

“And you’re a traitor. You turned your back on your ideals, your friends, your city, all to save your own worthless hide. Why would you ever think I would trust you, Nidhiki?”

Nidhiki has always been a favorite character of mine, so when I heard he was one of the few chosen to get a canon contest I knew I had to make an entry for him. Quick heads up, I have a TON of links and references to back up my choices.

Firstly, I chose a Metru body because of 3 reasons:
1). Lariska mistakens Nidhiki for being a Toa of Metru Nui.

“I guess they don’t teach dodging in Toa training,” the female Dark Hunter said. “No wonder your city is falling.”

Lariska has had to have at least seen more than one Toa in her time as a DH but still mistakens Nidhiki for a Metru Nui Toa.

2). The Shadowed One describes Nidhiki after his mutation in this quote (which will be incredibly IMPORTANT later):

Nidhiki’s head and arms had changed their shape. Most grotesque of all, his lower body now resembled that of a huge, four-legged insect.

Nidhiki’s torso is never mentioned in his description, which is odd considering he mentions every other part of him.

3). Toa Lhikan, despite not seeing Nidhiki for years is able to tell it’s Nidhiki, even in his mutated state. Greg has commented on this saying:

“If your best friend puts on a Halloween costume, are you clueless it’s him? Besides, Nidhiki right away calls Lhikan “brother,” implying he was an ex-Toa, and Lhikan certainly would have heard rumors about what happened to Nidhiki. He had been active as a Dark Hunter for some time before that.”
Number 12: Official Greg Discussion | Page 167

While I agree with Greg, I also think the above points lead to Lhikan also recognizing parts of his armor. This leads to the color scheme. Greg has gone on record twice stating Nidhiki’s color is Green:

“3) No, he’s just green. He’s a Toa of Air. Toa Iruini is green and silver.” Official Greg Discussion | Page 99

*"2. Several places, I’ve seen you say that Norik is Gold/Red and Iruini Silver/Green, when Norik is actually Silver/Red and Iruini Gold/Green. Was that just by mistake, or is that how they’re supposed look like?

1. No, just my mistake. I don’t have the sets and so am going based on my own faulty memory.

2. You also said Nidhiki was all-green, and not Silver/Green. Wouldn’t the latter be more logical, seeing as Lhikan is Gold/Red?

3. Nope. Because Nidhiki didn’t come from the same place Lhikan did, so no reason he would need to be dual-colored like Lhikan. After all, neither Matau nor Lewa is dual-colored, so why would any other Toa of Air be?"* Official Greg Discussion | Page 100

This matches up with what we know in “Birth of a Dark Hunter”:

“His emerald armor was scarred and pitted from countless battles.”

“One whistled past his mask while the other sliced his right shoulder armor as it flew by…Nidhiki glanced from the new gash in his emerald armor to his foe.” Birth of a Dark Hunter - BIONICLEsector01

Along with this we all know of his green Volitak: Official Greg Discussion | Page 139

However the contest allows for both mono and dual green, or a Nidhiki with different shades of green. I chose Mono Dark Green, as not only does it work with the lore of Le-Matoran during the Metru era, being Dark Green, but also makes more sense that he could hide without his mask power with colors that blend in into the dark.

Now Nidhiki has black on him because black and green is a new color scheme, it matches Lhikan and makes them look like a team and it also ties into the Under Armor theory.

The silver chest however isn’t green so why is it there? Well remember that description above of Spider-Nidhiki? His chest is never shown to have mutated, meaning he must be wearing that chest plate in Toa form as well. I also included the silver spikes as not only a reference to all of the bug Rahi that use them, but also because the meld into his shoulders in Spider-Nidhiku form. Additionally, the silver pieces also work to draw attention to him, making his habit of running through DH territory with his mask turned off all the more dangerous and exhilarating.

Nidhiki’s spider eye color according to the set is Trans Yellow, wjile other media shows Trans Red. I chose Orange for his Toa form as it looks to be the eye color of non Metru Toa of Air. This is also show by the fact that these other Toa also don’t use Chutespeak.
Nidhiki_Set.PNG

The Visorak parts on his leg are a callback to Krakua, as while I believe Krakua and Nidhiki never met nor share the same body type, he would still have a mix of Metru and ancient armor. The arm Visorak feet are meant to be part of his arms as bracers covering his elbows.

The Rahkshi head is meant to represent the broken shoulder armor. Since a gash is a long, deep cut I thought the head fit perfectly. It also serves as a visual signifier of his personality, snake or eel like.

I designed Nidhiki’s Scythe to be a weapon fitting of his personality. Two blades, so he can fake you out with the first and hit you with the second. It can also be spun to create vacuums or gusts of wind. Along with this a two bladed weapon is often considered a weapon only for the highly skilled, as it has as much of a chance of hitting its wielder as it does its target. This not only shows Nidhiki’s skill and competence as a Toa who’s fought 1000s of foes, but also works as Nidhiki gets a rush from putting himself in dangerous situations.
The scythe was also designed so when he becomes Spider-Nidhiki, it merges into his arms and back, giving him his silver torso and claw hands.
And now vanity shots:

Nidhiki mid mutation:

Krekka catching Nidhiki burying the prototype Zamor Launchers:

Size Comparison:

Breakdown:

Stud.IO (Updated File)
Nidhiki Canon Contest

All parts were found in either Stud.IO or the Biopack.
Credit to @KhingK for the Mask of Stealth, used as a placeholder until I have a Volitak.
Any and all criticism is welcome
Also stay tuned for more vanity shots and even IRL shots of Nidhiki

UPDATE v1.5

I didn’t think I was gonna put out anything before the new year, but I figured I should show my solution.

Some people aren’t the biggest fan of the shoulder mod used for better articulation since it stresses the parts, so I wanted to show a concept for what Nidhiki would look like with the set shoulder connection:
Regular:

Green:

I think that this is a pretty good solution to the problem, as it keeps the shoulder spikes and mimics the original technic bush used, while being unique.

That’s all for now, but IRL pics should be out by the end of January.

28 Likes

I’m okay with Nidhiki having silver just there, as long as it’s because it’s a piece of armor he’s wearing over his actual green chest.

Other than the canonical criticism, this looks great. Good thinking on the double-ended scythe. I like the shoulder design, and the incorporation of the Visorak feet.

2 Likes

This looks awesome, especially the weapon (it looks really sick, and a double-ended scythe makes sense based on the description). The asymmetrical shoulder armor also looks really cool. The lower-arm construction is clever and unique, stands out from the others. The overall proportions give him a really nice “heroic muscularity” that suggest a relative “handsomeness,” and therefore contrasts more strongly with his hideous mutated form. Since the torso is justified as silver, I would suggest maybe adding a bit more silver elsewhere on his body; but on the other hand, Greg’s comments do suggest Nidhiki is all or almost all green. The whole design is super well thought-out in terms of adhering as closely as possible to the canon descriptions, while also looking cool and unique.

One thing though, I don’t know if it can be justified that Nidhiki’s Volitak looks different than the traditional one? A “regional variant” probably wouldn’t make sense for Nidhiki because Mazeka, who is also from the Tren Krom Peninsula on the Southern Continent, uses the standard Volitak.

Awesome job! I honestly anticipate that this will be my favorite entry.

1 Like

Well the hands are kinda too simple for my tastes, but that’s just my opinion, so do what you will. The scythe is cool, i think that’s what i like most.

1 Like

Oh I agree on the mask thing. The reason why I’m using KhingK’s mask actually is because the Volitak doesn’t actually exist yet as a 3D model in or out of Stud.IO. I’m hoping I can get a IRL copy so I can show Nidhiki off like that, but if not I’ll have to learn 3D modeling :sweat_smile:

1 Like

oh nice
The scythe build is nice, while impractical looking, and the rest of the build is neat as well

1 Like

Yeah when it comes to the hands, I chose to go with the set hands. I wanted him to look as close to a canon depiction as possible, which is why I went for no headlight along with set hands. I was actually worried about the Scythe being not canon but so far Greg hasn’t deconfirmed my design so fingers crossed!

Yeah I figured the Toa of Ice shouldn’t be the only ones with them :wink:. I do agree a Dual Scythe isn’t the most practical but a two-faced and crooked weapon felt right at home with Nidhiki.

2 Likes

It exists, only not public now. I can send you that by PM

2 Likes

Hey sorry clicked the wrong reply button. That would be great!

1 Like

I like it. It’s got a flair and looks almost exactly like what I think of when I imagine our favorite traitor.

1 Like

Really loving that double bladed scythe, good job.

1 Like

Oh yeah, sorry I missed that in your initial post, I have awful reading comprehension.

Also, re-read it and realized the asymmetrical shoulders (which I thought were just to look cool, which it does) represent his slashed shoulder armor. That’s really clever and it looks great!

The more I think about it, the more your Nidhiki design impresses me. It’s just really well thought-out along with looking great. Amazing work!

2 Likes

Thanks for the compliment!
Actually I forgot to write the disclaimer about the mask the first time so seeing your comment made me remember to add the text. That my bad :sweat_smile:
A bit of trivia about the shoulders: During the design process I toyed around with using a Nuva shoulder pad but decided the snake/eel imagery was too good not to include.

Thanks! It nearly wasn’t going to be one actually.
During the designing of it, I started out with this image as my reference:

I was going towards the classic reaper vibe most people go for when I was rereading Birth of a Dark Hunter and noticed it said “both sides of his weapon” and well the rest is history.

Nice to see you did your research when designing Nidhiki, good stuff!

1 Like

Thanks! I had a notepad open and jotted down anything that seemed important or noteworthy about his design. The other Contest members though are giving me a little less to work with but hopefully they’ll turn out great

1 Like

The moc is pretty good. The way you made the “broken” shoulder armor is pretty clever

also I have to give you props for this sentence :clap:

2 Likes

Glad to hear you liked it! I actually planned on adding a third descriptor but couldn’t be the hoses to work right in Stud.IO. The real model has wires that weave through the holes on the handle in a sort of “organized chaos” way. I did this because I noticed Nidhiki hated Ga-Metru for being so clean, so I figured his weapon should reflect that messiness of not only his conflicting morals and conscious, but also his life in general: One giant mess.
“Of all the metru in the city, this was his least favorite. It just seemed so clean and orderly. He got the feeling that if a little water sloshed onto the street, they would call out half a dozen Vahki patrols and declare a metru-wide emergency.”

1 Like

wow you’re really putting a lot of thought into this design!

I like adding wires and hoses to my bonkle drawings, but they’re very difficult to work with in stud.io

2 Likes

Honestly the wires are the main reason I’m making an IRL model, besides wanting to see him pose properly.

Yeah I really want to make something that captures the vision I have of him but also fits in with other canon models. It’s the reason why I ultimately ditched a custom torso with waits articulation and arms the hinge up and down at the torso.

Also side note, do you know any paint that matches Mata Green? I wanna test something out with it

Wow. The amount of canon-informed detail you’ve put into this design makes me feel pretty confident, even this early on, that yours ought to be the canon depiction. The purpose of the contests is to visually embody the character from the lore, and while of course I’m super excited to see the other entries, I doubt anyone will be able to top you on achieving that. Again, awesome job!

1 Like