Toa Tuyet: The Mad Samurai (Fanon Contest #1) [THE_DOOR_OPENER]

A decade ago, I first read the final battle in The Many Deaths of Toa Tuyet. Even after all this time, I can quite clearly recall the image of her conjured by this sentence, which took place immediately after she watches Lhikan find the Nui Stone in her quarters.

“Tuyet rose. To her credit, she didn't seem nervous or taken aback. She was colder than most Ice Toa Lhikan had known, he had to give her that.”

I imagined her slowly standing up, casting a massive shadow across the room. Unlimbering her jagged arms, she completely dwarfed Lhikan.

For my Tuyet, I did my best to recreate that same feeling of dread I felt one decade ago.

I’m happy to say that I achieved it.

With my Tuyet, scale was everything. I made her a bruiser; no matter how you slice it, she outmatched Lhikan (and nearly every other toa too) in sheer scale. I did this to try and convey the raw, brutal power of the Nui Stone, making her instantly the most imposing figure in the room.

CULTURAL INSPIRATIONS & INLORE DESIGN DECISIONS]

Tuyet’s idea of a toa is about as different as can be from Lhikan’s [a dark mirror of his, if you will], so I gave her a design to match. Tuyet has heavy armor- a contrast to Lhikan’s light armor. Where Tuyet appears strong, Lhikan appears agile. Where Tuyet has mostly muted armor, Lhikan has bright armor. Tuyet and Lhikan are polar opposite character-wise, so I tried to give my Tuyet a similarly polarized design.

Continuing with the thematic inspiration for this build, I was inspired to make Tuyet look like a corrupted Samurai. Samurai are arguably known best for their strict honor code, and Tuyet is notably devoid of honor. By making Tuyet appear as a corrupted version of such a noble warrior, I feel I was able to imply something of her own soul’s corruption.

Another reason my Tuyet was inspired by a Samurai is that I wanted her armor to appear visually distinct from Lhikan, and any other toa we’ve seen thus far in canon. Unlike a group like the Mata, Metru, or Mahri who all hailed from the same place, the Toa Mangai were all basically random warriors from across the universe who came to the aid of Metru Nui at the call of Turaga Lhikan. In my mind I interpret this as a reason to make the Mangai look as different as possible for one another.

(As a side note, I also have other unique armor styles and frames planned for my Nidhiki and Naho, to help accentuate the diversity in this team’s armor. I’m very excited to share them with you in the future!)

And now, I’d like to highlight all the design elements that are meant to draw from Samurai armor.

[Geta and Their Relevance to My Tuyet]

The first thing on my list of Samurai armor, wooden sandals called geta, were not widely worn by Samurai, due to geta not being very well armored (they’re sandals). However, I chose to give my Tuyet geta in spite of this because I feel the functional use of the shoes adds an interesting thematic layer to her character design.

One of the purposes of Geta is to keep people’s feet above ground if it is wet, as geta keep a wearer’s feet several inches above the ground (and any puddles that may have collected down there). Translated into the world of Bionicle, my Tuyet is raised above the water, what is usually considered a ga-toa’s source of power. This suggests that she draws power from sources outside of normal nature. Tuyet choosing to distance herself from water may also imply she feels herself above the duty of a Toa of Water.

Aside from the character implications the geta give to Tuyet, I also think the build is super fun, they’re one of my most favorite parts of the build. Her feet are rectangular, with two teeth running along the bottom, mimicking the shape of the Geta. On top of the rectangular black portion of her feet is the dark blue portion, giving the appearance of dark blue “skin” on top of a black “shoe”.

I view the whole piece as her foot, since Bionicle characters don’t need shoes. Like, her foot just happens to look like a piece of footwear from earth, similar to how Roodaka’s feet look like high heels. Or how Umbra’s look like heelys. To illustrate this point, here is a comparison between Roodaka and my Tuyet’s feet and their real-world counterparts.

[Pictured above, my Tuyet’s feet compared to real-life geta. Pictured below, Roodaka’s feet compared to real-life high heels.

[Kusazuri & Soda]

Kusazuri were a part of armor used to protect the lower body of a Samurai, not dissimilar to European faulds. However, kusazuri were longer than faulds, meant to protect both a Samurai’s Pelvis and upper legs, which weren’t maneuverable on horseback

Sode were the shoulderguards of a Samurai’s armor. Both Sode and Kusazuri are characteristically rectangular. In my Tuyet, I’ve recreated the rectangular shape. The Kusazuri in particular were very carefully chosen to leave a lot of empty room around the pelvis of the build, allowing for a high degree of leg mobility (see the articulation tab below for further details.)

[The Big Floating Gear and My Confusion as to Its Cultural Roots]

A fairly common design fixture I see in characters set in feudal Japan is a giant floating circle behind the character’s shoulder blades. Sometimes the circle’s diameter is shoulder width, other times it is the width of the character’s arm span, it all depends. Below I’ve included three examples of this design being (from Left to Right) Yoshimitsu from Tekken Tag Tournament 2, Amaterasu from Okami equipped with the devout beads, and Electra from Xenoblade Chronicles 2.

Now, as you can probably tell by all the research put into different types of sword and the parts of Samurai armor I did for this moc, I like doing in depth research for these mocs. The only issue is, I’m not fully confident on what the cultural inspiration for these rings are. This surprised me in my research, since these floating rings seem so ubiquitous in Japanese fiction that I assumed it’d be easy to discover what they are. However, after months of searching, I believe I’ve found the source.

I believe the origin of these rings is the Shinto god of thunder, Raijin. Pictured below is 17th century artist Tawaraya Sotatsu’s interpretation of Raijin as seen in his famous painting Fujin-Raijin-zu. In it, you can see that Raijin is holding hammers in his fists, while drums encircle him. It is said that Raijin was so powerful that, when he plays on his drums, he causes the sound of a thunderclap. In many depictions, Raijin’s drums are seen encircling him.

If you like this art, btw,

and if you have the time, I highly recommend looking up the full painting of Fujin-Raijin-zu. I cropped out nearly half of the work so we could focus on Raijin. However, the full piece also depicts Fujin, the wind god. His bag of winds is also depicted. While the design language of Raijin’s encircling drums seems more common in fiction today, I can think of at least two characters that have similar “bags of wind” wrapping above their heads.

You may notice that many characters that have these floating circles behind them have some kind of lightning power, though this is not always the case. For instance, using the examples I gave above, Electra from Xenoblade 2 is clearly electricity themed, while many of the rosary types of weapons used in Okami do lightning damage. However, Yoshimitsu to my knowledge doesn’t use electricity or thunder powers at all, so it seems as though these floating rings are flexible in what kinds of characters can use them. Either that, or Yoshimitsu’s floating ring is a reference to some other cultural item, I can not be sure.

So, history lesson over, how does this all relate to my Tuyet? Why does my Tuyet choose to wear a giant floating circle on her back “in universe”? Well, we see in that iconic image of the Great Spirit Robot from the Mata Nui Saga (pictured below) that Mata Nui would project massive circles around himself when scanning planets. Perhaps legends of these halos are present inside the MU.

I imagine halos such as these are religious symbols of Mata Nui wherever Tuyet is from. Tuyet definitely has a god-complex, saying in TMDoTT “What the League of Six Kingdoms tried to do while they were active, I will do – impose law and order on everything that lives.” I could definitely see Tuyet donning the symbol of a god out of arrogance or insanity.

How does it float in lore? I’m not really sure, I just thought it looked cool. Here’s a few answers to this question that might be correct.

A. Levitation Microdisks

B. Nui Stone Energy

C. It’s not actually floating it’s just set on transparent spokes like the model.

D. Magic

As of posting this, I headcanon “D”. However, on another day I could believe any other option on this list. If this Tuyet wins, you’re free to make-it-your-own, haha.

[Tsuba and the Design Philosophy behind My Barbed Broadsword]

Finding the design for my Barbed Broadsword was incredibly difficult. While my Tuyet’s aesthetic was strongly informed by samurai armor, I felt as though taking large inspiration from a katana, the sword of a samurai, would not fit my Tuyet’s design language. Katana are typically seen as agile, precision weapons, while Tuyet’s design lends her being more of a bruiser.

In addition, this Greg Quote, made infamous from the TTV Canon Contest discussion thread, says that Tuyet’s Barbed Broadsword was “a sword with curved barbs coming out of the sides, so that when you pull it out you do more damage.” To me the verbage “pull it out” implied that the Barbed Broadsword was primarily a thrusting weapon; thrust in, pull out. Katana are known for their powerful cutting strength due to their curved shape, but are weak when it comes to thrusts. Broadswords on the other hand are perfect for thrusts.

With both of those factors in mind, I decided that I wanted my Barbed Broadsword to be closer to a western broadsword than a katana. Leaning heavily into my Tuyet’s identity as a tank, I aimed to make my Barbed Broadsword as large as possible to visualize how powerful she is.

|207.99999988705227x305.00000045539565

However, I still wanted my sword to have some influence from the katana, as I felt a fully western sword would feel at odds with her design. After performing some research into the individual parts of a broadsword and a katana, I discovered my solution.

Tsuba were circular handguards placed between the blade and hilt of a katana. The purpose of the tsuba was to protect the hands of a katana’s wielder, like the crossguard of a western sword. Tsuba were often given intricate carvings on their flat faces, typically depicting scenes of nature, making them one of the most distinct parts of the weapon. I decided to include a circular handguard on my Barbed Broadsword to evoke a tsuba.

And there you have it, my complete barbed broadsword.

[Galvanize’ Original Mask of Intangibility]

Finally, we come to the kanohi I chose to give my Tuyet. I came across my preferred mask late into the design process, in about mid January. At this point I had already decided on focusing heavily on a samurai aesthetic for my Tuyet, and was hoping to find a kanohi to match. Leafing through my custom parts folder in stud.io. Galva’s Old Mask of Intangibility immediately stood out as the perfect mask. It heavily evoked the feel of a kabuto, the helmet piece of a samurai’s armor, while also feeling different enough to fit in the unique world of bionicle. In addition, it was wide, heavy, and sinister looking, all things that fit with my Tuyet’s design language. The smoothly ridged sides of the mask even had a similar look to the CCBS shells I had used on my Tuyet’s shoulders and arms, it was practically perfect.

HEIGHT COMPARISON WITH LHIKAN

In terms of height, my Tuyet is designed to scale with Lhikan. I intentionally made my Tuyet taller than Lhikan to help make Lhikan’s fight against her feel more desperate. Tuyet (head to toe) is roughly 30.4 studs tall (9.50” / 240mm) compared to Lhikan’s 25.8 studs (8.00” / 200mm).

If you’re interested about the height with the gear, that brings Tuyet’s height to roughly 33.5 studs (10.5” / 260mm)

ARTICULATION

I’m sure you’re all worried about articulation, given how bulky her armor is. I was very conscious of her articulation from the start. I engineered her faulds to be able to fold upwards, allowing her a nearly full range of motion in her legs. Her leg mobility is so wide that she is able to hit a full split (if you take off two of the BFG’s teeth). The shoulders aren’t as good but are still able to reach a dynamic range of poses.

If you want statistics, here you are:

LEGS/FEET = 3 POA each

• Ankles have full range of articulation

• Knees go from 180° to ~60°

• Thighs have nearly full range up to 90° from anatomical position, though you must move the faulds around a bit to get some of the more extreme poses.

WAIST = 1 POA

• Waist can rotate 360° and bend 30° backwards

HEAD/NECK = 2 POA

• Neck base can bend from 90° (up) to ~30° (towards heartlight)

• Head has full mobility

o [NOTE, some head/neck posability can only be achieved by repositioning the spaulders]

ARMS = 3 POA each

• Shoulders can bend 360° from forward to back, and ~80° from the side (though higher can be achieved by externally/internally rotating the arm.)

o [NOTE, shoulder posability can only be achieved by repositioning the spaulders]

• Elbows can move 90° in either direction and can be externally/internally rotated.

• Wrists have full mobility in the direction of the palm, however mobility in the dorsal direction is stopped at the neutral position.

DIGITS = 4 POA each

• Two fingers per hand, each of which can bend 45° out and 90° in

• One thumb per hand (we specify b/c of MoL Makuta) has two POA and can grasp the hilt of the sword.

MISCELLANEOUS

• Six faulds (front/back) have 5 POA

• Two faulds (side-side) have 2 POA

• Both spaulders each have 2 POA

• The gear has 1 POA

TOTAL POA = 62 (23 Standard + 39 Misc.)

CONCEPT ART

REQUIRED PHOTOS

{TUYET INSTRUCTIONS}

(Cover by @Synnova32, all else by me)

Finally, before I go, I’d like to give out a bunch of thanks!

First, a big thanks to @Synnova32, who made the absolutely beautiful coverpage for my Tuyet’s instruction manual. He also helped me brainstorm fixes for my model. If you’ve got a chance, go check out his Tuyet too, it’s outstanding, inspired by the Soul Calibur and Tekken franchises, while also fitting in his own unique skeletal design elements, I highly recommend it. I’m particularly a fan of his aesthetic use of wormgears.

Second, I’d like to thank my friends @TakuaNova, GarakParadox, @EBdrawsstuff, and @Chedzu, who all kept an eye out for some of the rare parts I was hunting for (the Silver Vorox plates were an unexpectedly big challenge.) On top of also giving me feedback.

Finally, please check out @Galva_Nize’ fearsome Old Mask of Intangibility, which really helped my Tuyet’s Samurai appearance come together as well as it did.

{4-18-22 EDIT} Additional info for Duckbrick's Fanon Contest

I should have made this more clear in my original post, but this is for Duckbricks’ community fanon contest for the appearance of Tuyet. There’s going to be a prize made by the talented resin printer lord, @Socketball. Me and many of my friends will be participating, and I’d love to see others hop in as well!

Finally, Duck suggested in the video linked above that we list the paints used in making our mocs if someone wants to replicate our looks. For myself, the only painted piece on the moc is the mask. So, here’s what I used to achieve my Mask of Intangibility.

1. PRIMER: Tamiya’s Surface Primer (L)
  2. PAINT: Tamiya’s TS-15 Blue
  3. FINISH: The-Army-Painter’s Matt Varnish

This setup is not a perfect match for Metru Blue irl however. It’s slightly more saturated and … blue, I suppose. In comparison, Metru Blue seems a tad less vibrant and with a hint of green. The varnish also isn’t perfect, it has a slightly-off sheen to it all. You can’t really tell it in my images, but irl it’s noticable. It’s a great start for a firstimer like me, but I’d recommend you search for a better Metru Blue match, if you can find one.

Or, if you just want to replicate what I did, you can. Well, that’s all, have a great day, y’all!

33 Likes

Ah this is really good. I appreciate the thought put into it. Would’ve been cool to see an alternate serial story with this. One based in Japanese influence over Maori would be cool

1 Like

Easily one of the most comprehensive Tuyet variants out there. Been an honor working alongside you to flesh this out :triumph:

See you at the Contests and at the Tuyet: Multiverse of Madness collab ehehe

6 Likes

It’s quite a nice looking moc, and I’m very impressed with all of the research and thought you put into finalizing her. It was very interesting to read through the thought process behind the design

Truly a commendable effort!

Japan culture stuff

As for this Yoshimitsu character, it’s possible that their ring is simply based off of a halo (which fits in nicely with the subsequent paragraph in your post) As far as I can tell, a circle or ring behind an individual seems to be a common depiction of a halo in Japanese Buddhist art.

2 Likes

…I’m clearly out of the loop on something. Is TTV doing Fanon contests now?

2 Likes

The spike-gear-ring-thing looks pretty cool.

1 Like

Duckbricks is M8
Although I think the text is likely copy pasted from an old type up I suspect.

But it is nice people are still posting their well thought out builds.

Like the reasoning behind this build and sections such as the skirt are well designed the colour blocking is great as well, the silver glaives are nice. Only thing I dislike is the skinny calves, in some pictures it’s more apparent.

7 Likes

Just checking since Meso has been avoiding my PM

Thanks bro! I’m glad you like my entry! Yeah, I believe RSG is developing something similar to that, actually. It’s been a while since I read their lorebooks, but I remember them having a location called the Four Sister Islands, which were inspired by Asian cultures. I’d try checking some of their stuff out, they’ve probably fleshed it out a lot further.

Thank you brother, I have learned much under your tutelage. I’m looking forward to the Bota Magna contest!

Ahh, thanks bro! I saw a few Buddhist statues with a halo on them during my research, but I wasn’t sure how to talk about them since I couldn’t find very many articles or anything talking about them or their history. On top of that, the common Raijin depiction seemed to fit a lot better with the feudal timeframe I was researching within, and I could find far more information on it, so I focused on that. The Buddhist halo being the inspiration for Yoshimitsu’s ring would make sense though, Yoshimitsu’s ring is solid while my other examples (the rings of Amaterasu and Electra) are both composite circles made of multiple objects.

Thanks for the input Atobe, I’m really grateful you read through the whole thing, and even found some new information for me!

Thanks a bunch, bro! That’s one of my favorite parts of the moc, it just gives her such a strong presence. Without it she looks a bit week, imo. Yeah, originally in the concept art you can see that I was envisioning giving her a gear slightly larger than the standard mata-metru gear, but it just kept growing and growing until it because utterly massive, it was very fun to see it evolve and actually look cool.

Yeah, Axel was right, this is for Duck’s contest. I just really enjoy the TTV board’s format, it lets me write really indepth articles. You can hide stuff in spoiler text, place text alongside images, use bold and italics, it’s all really wonderful. I feel having control over the format of your articles helps let you inject more of your own personality into the words, which is why I’m going to continue posting my entries into Duck’s contest here.

Yeah, guilty as charged, I’ve had drafts of this writeup since before the cancelation. Still, even if I hadn’t started this writeup before the cancelation, I still think I would’ve wrote it. I really enjoy writing these articles; I did a similar deepdive into my hagah entry. I plan to go into similar depth with all of my future fanon contest entries, I just like really like talking about my work.

I’m glad you liked the colorblocking, bro! I’d say this is my most ambitious moc to date; normally I copy colorblocking from bionicle sets, but this go around I tried to branch off on my own. So, I’ve never had to colorblock before, it was quite a challenge. I’ve got a stud.io drawer full of failed colorblocking attempts, I had a lot to learn. I also tried really hard to have good texture balance too. The smooth biceps and faulds I feel complement one another’s textures, while the shins and forearms have more rough, angular textures. I tried to keep a balance.

As for the calves looking skinny, I see what you mean. Probably the weakest aspect of my Tuyet I feel is her side view, it looks a tad awkward. Fortunately, I feel as though the amount of poses that can be achieved without showing a bad angle is sufficient, though I definitely understand the issue you have. Just something for me to keep in mind whenever I make my next moc! Thanks for the feedback, bro!

Finally, I just want to bump the coverart Synnova did for my instruction manual. He did a really phenomenal job and I want people to see his work, but obviously I’m not going to unhide a 68 page instruction manual, it’d be ridiculous.

So, here’s just the coverpage, check it out! It was inspired by the art of Shodo, Japanese Calligraphy.

8 Likes

Tuyet looks very muscular here and I’m not really sure what to say

1 Like

Looks good. The Samurai armour is a good idea., but I’m not a fan of Tuyet having red eyes without holding the Nui-Stone, but that’s just a minor thing.

normally I would also say that I’m not the biggest fan of that size difference, but it works here and mine is the exact same size (minus spikes) (accidentally)

1 Like

woah this looks awesome!! I really like the samurai and japanese inspiration!

1 Like

The samurai look is definitely a cool vibe for Tuyet. I like it!

1 Like

Yup, I’m scared, and that’s definitely how it should be. Well done! I can’t say my imagination of Tuyet quite jives with the bruiser look you gave her, but that doesn’t matter–the level of detail in this and its background is incredible.

3 Likes

Oh, there’ve been so many great Tuyet MOCs lately and this one is no exception! I adore the samurai armour inspiration, it’s so cool that you’ve been able to make it quite historically accurate while maintaining the Bionicle aesthetic, and that mask is a perfect choice too. I’ve never been a fan of its design, but it goes perfectly with the MOC’s appearance.

It’s also been a joy to read through all the background information for the MOC with all your concept art and research! My favourite part is the bit about Raijin. Never thought I’d learn so much from a topic on a Bionicle forum!
Now that I think about it, there are quite many characters with lightning powers that have rings of drum-looking things behind their backs inspired by Raijin’s drums. Besides the ones that you’ve already listed, Enel from One Piece comes to mind:

This character actually served as inspiration for one of my MOCs, a Voriki reimagining, so that’s a nice coincidence!

2 Likes

I’m really glad y’all like the Samurai influences! Yeah, I initially had a huge host of ideas for Tuyet, but the Samurai theme came up after like a few weeks of deliberation, that’s when I started my research.

Ayyy, ima take that as a sign that you have been awestruck. On a serious note, I’m glad I was able to get across to you what I wanted it to.

Thanks bro! Definitely, I think Tuyet should be terrifying, and there’s a bunch of great ways to get across fear without making her a bruiser. I’m very excited to see all the other entries for this contest, bruiser or otherwise!

I’m also happy that you appreciate all the work put into the design of her, I really enjoyed all the minor details I was able to fit in, it was almost like a puzzle trying to work in things that would fit within her design.

Thank you very much, bro! I’m glad you appreciate all the work I put into the design!

I’m incredibly pleased with the mask. It’s definitely be a bit rough in some places (especially compared to Galva’s modern works), but it just felt meant to be with my Tuyet. I feel a tad guilty using it since Galva (from what I hear) doesn’t seem to like this mask much, but I think it’s a great piece of work.

I’m also very cad that you enjoyed reading through the article; I had as much fun writing and researching for it as you did reading it! I wanted this moc to be as respectful as possible since it was being heavily informed by a real-world culture, so I did lots of research into many aspects of samurai culture. I’m happy I was able to teach you something!

And yeah, those circles pop up everywhere! Like, I think I’m Xenoblade X one of the weapons a skell can be equipped with are those floating rings, which can shoot lasers out the front of them.

I just checked your moc out, and it’s very impressive, I’ll be sure to write up a response in your topic. Thanks a bunch, bro!

MMM! Interesting detail is that the Nui Stone is in her build, I’ve just hidden it. It looks like I forgot to writeup about the stone in my OG post, so I’ll detail it here.

My Nui Stone is actually embedded in the place of where her heartlight should be. I took the sorta cliche “trans-red bohrok eye” stone and hid it in place of her heartstone. It’s very difficult to see with my lighting setup, but it’s there. It’s a detail that’s really only apparent from the instructions, since the stone is like 95% inside her torso. I’ve quoted a page of the manual where it’s visible below.

It’s intentionally meant to not look like the stone; I imagine my Tuyet hid it in plane sight, like Roodaka in WOS. I could be wrong, [I probably am, it’s been months since I read Dark Mirror] but I believe DM Tuyet is never shown holding the stone, but she still has his power. Whether or not she hold the stone in DM, I just always imagined that she had a convenient hiding place for it on her person, sorta like how Voldemort kept the snake with him at all times. A convenience and safety thing.

The placement of the stone has a bit of thematic relevance to her character as well. She has supplanted her literal heart and metaphorical soul with the Nui Stone. It’s corrupted and consumed her to the point where it is now pumping its energy and her blood through her veins. Is the symbolism on the nose? I guess, but I think symbolism so deeply hidden in a character’s design like this should be a bit on the nose.

(I can’t believe I forgot to mention the stone in the og post. I guess I just got caught up with everything else, the og post is like 2600 words long.)

5 Likes

Ah I just assumed that the Bohrok eye is just her heartlight, but it makes sense when put like that.

1 Like

Nice I like the nods to Samurai design and the amount of thought behind this build, good job

1 Like

Bumping this specific page of the instructions for this design, because it’s too god tier a reference for the community to miss:

If you know, you know.

11 Likes

I understood that reference!

2 Likes