Unconfirmed Phantom Images

Odds are, he doesn’t remember it, so we could even mention in the letter that he probably wouldn’t remember it, but then bring up the similarities between phantom’s concept essay and the bare bones amount of detail we got in the encyclopia. We could also attach Casey’s email/reddit if greg were to contact him. Finally, we could mention how phantom’s builder (casey) was documented but unnamed to have issues mailing in the model to the point that it couldn’t be photographed for the book.

1 Like

This seems a bit like a leading question. Start by just saying “do you remember this?”, then elaborate as necessary.

In fact, it might be a good idea to lead with this one:

Because his answer to this might affect how we ask about Phantom.

For example, if he says “not all of the Dark Hunters were invited”, then that makes it very likely that what we have here is Phantom, and any questions about this model would be more or less just for the purposes of having a citable source.

But if he says “all of the Dark Hunters were invited”, then that significantly drops the chances that this is Phantom (though the essay similarities are still there), and it would be smarter to show him the entry without mentioning that we think it is Phantom.

4 Likes

Once again, I feel this would be best as a followup. I think we should

A. first send him a picture of the model and essay, asking him if he remembers anything about them, and if he does, what does he remember.

B. Ask about the contest discrepancies. Why some letters for the Rahi contest ask for the model to be sent in and others don’t, if not all winners were intended to be published and canonized, if the Dark Hunter contest was the same, etc.

C. Now we bring up the details, we send in Phantoms encyclopedia description, mention the story about mailing issues, etc. But most importantly, we do NOT bring up how the community feels about this all.

D. If all goes well, we do the same for the MantasTamer and any other unknown models that may pop up in the future

2 Likes

If you guys think it could help, I can swing by my parents’ after work and grab my contest pictures and scan them in at high quality.

9 Likes

If anyone does actually ask Greg, it should definitely be in the least-leading manner possible.

They certainly couldn’t hurt!

2 Likes

Hey guys, I was finally able to get over to my parents’ house and grab the pictures. I scanned them in at 600 dpi, but that doesn’t exactly help that they were taken with a crappy digital camera. Anywho, here’s the link!

15 Likes

So, hate to add to all of this again, but with the recent speculation going around about the “Silver” moc that ended up in an episode of Hero factory, and his original purpose. Should we add that to the list of “contest concerns” we have for Greg right now? Should we actually make a formal list of all these things?

1 Like

What speculation is there? I have heard nothing.

We’re talking about the big robot with the Cordak blasters from season 1, right?

I’m not sure what else there is to put on the list. We ask him about Phantom. What else?

(Also, I could totally see that big robot being Marendar, just at a different scale.)

EDIT: I did some research, and it seems that “Silver” is a MOC created for a Lego-sponsored, Bionicle-based, MOC Contest on BZPower a while back.

So what is there to ask Greg about?

1 Like

Wasn’t that MoC originally supposed to be a robot guarding the Valley of the Maze but was repurposed for Hero Factory?

4 Likes

I did not know that. That really sounds like a precursor to Marendar.

I guess I was right.

Regardless, it is not Marendar. So what is there to ask Greg about?

1 Like

I think it was said 3 times already what we want to ask him, so someone could just dm him? Or are we too afraid that his answer would disappoint us? If he doesn’t comfirm that this is indeed Phantom and the backstory was heavily altered, we should remove the images from Phantom’s BS01 page, or just move them to the Dark Hunter page/Competitions page, because of the contradicting essay doesn’t match up with the BEU article.

1 Like

There is an entire sub-forum on these Message Boards where you guys can ask him. Just saying.

2 Likes

Huh. I did not know that. I thought all Greg communication got shut down because of COPPA.

1 Like

Nope, because we have an age limit of 13 years old. He is allowed to be here because of that. It’s why we do not allow anyone below the age of 13 on the boards.

1 Like

Well, he was last seen visiting the boards on March 10th, so I can see why nobody has asked him yet.

3 Likes

Greg to the first person to actually reach out to him about this:

:stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

The FTC when they learn Greg is in his 50s:

2 Likes

I’ve typed something up, but I’m not super great with words, so maybe you guys could fix it up a little?

Hello Greg,

A few weeks ago, a person on Reddit posted these images, claiming that they were the submission images for a winning entry of the Dark Hunter contest, 15 years ago:

INSERT IMAGES HERE

I, and the community, believe that this story has merit, since there were 35 winners of the contest, but only 32 fan-created Dark Hunters in the book. There is even a 33rd fan-created Dark Hunter that does not have an official appearance, since the model was not received in time for the official photo to be taken.

So we were wondering: Do you remember this entry?

[END MESSAGE]

I don’t know if we should mention Phantom at this point?

2 Likes

By name, or as “The entry whose model didn’t get sent in”?

@LegoDetective @CaseyKinseyArt @Wolk

You have all been pretty involved in this whole process. Any suggestions before I post this in the Ask Greg?

1 Like